Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,788 times

Advertisements

Hello

I will be moving in Sept to Erie, Pa . I am kind of scared because I have never been there and have no clue what areas are good or bad. I'm trying to find a two bedroom apartment or house to rent within a good area. I dont care where it is at, it can be up to an hour away but it has to be luxury, or close to it. I was looking at Cherry Hill but I dont know if those apartments are in a great area. PLEASE PLEASE I need help.

I have a list of questions:

1. Is Cherry Hill apartments in a good area/neighborhood, what is it like?
2. What are some NO NO (bad) areas
3. Is Erie a raciest area?
4. Do know of any great apartments or homes for rent with at least 2 bdrms max price $1000
5.Is Brookwood Village apartments, Lake View apartments, Scenery Hill apartments, Belle Village Apartmets, and Rome Court Townhomes are they in a great area? are they nice?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by newmommy2010; 08-11-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Don't know anything about it, and Mapquest couldn't find the address. Perhaps you could call the phone number and ask the management.
3. Is Erie a raciest area? That's a subjective question; what do you mean by "racist"?
5.Is Brookwood Village apartments, Lake View apartments, Scenery Hill apartments, Belle Village Apartmets, and Rome Court Townhomes are they in a great area? are they nice?
Any of those are in pretty suburban areas, if not semi-rural. Don't know what your definition of "great" is.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:33 AM

82 posts, read 345,954 times
I believe that is one of the complexes in the area of 10th & Liberty. This area should be avoided as it's the epicenter of Erie's violent crime. ;-)

Erie is known for racial tension. There are black areas & white areas of Erie, and the locals pretty much stick to the accepted way of doing things. Only instigators get into trouble in Erie, overall it's a pretty laid back city.

4. Do know of any great apartments or homes for rent with at least 2 bdrms max price $1000?
I would look at surrounding towns, to be honest. Erie tomcats are a randy bunch. Erie rapes are 3 times the nat'l average & still rising, lol.

Thanks for your help
You're welcome. Good luck with the move & don't forget the pepper spray!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
thought this was useful
Erie's diverse food scene is quite fulfilling

Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy2010 View Post
Hello

I will be moving in Sept to Erie, Pa . I am kind of scared because I have never been there and have no clue what areas are good or bad. I'm trying to find a two bedroom apartment or house to rent within a good area. I don't care where it is at, it can be up to an hour away but it has to be luxury, or close to it. I was looking at Cherry Hill but I don't know if those apartments are in a great area. PLEASE PLEASE I need help.

I have a list of questions:

4. Do know of any great apartments or homes for rent with at least 2 bedrooms max price $1000
5.Is Brookwood Village apartments, Lake View apartments, Scenery Hill apartments, Belle Village Apartments, and Rome Court Town-homes are they in a great area? are they nice?
Thanks for your help

Well, either you are a single black woman or white woman with a black baby, who would like to live in a nice neighborhood.

A $1000 in a coal town is a lot of money. $1000 in Erie is just above basic housing. Are you going to find good housing for $1000 a month in a good neighborhood that isn't racist? Probably, because there is housing everywhere for sale / rent in Erie PA...

Is Erie a racist area - NO

Because Erie is made up of many nationalities and is a city. the people in the city doesn't even know anyone further then the end of their block. They are so caught up in their own petty little lives that they forget that there is other people around them and in time they become so focused on their own lives that it doesn't matter if they were purple like Barney, as long as they don't cause any problems - no one cares.

I was in a break room, eating my lunch the other night and two people came in, sat down and started talking, the next thing I knew, they were talking on their cell phones and they acted like as if they were important people making a critical call. The days of face to face conversations among co workers is even coming to a end.
They said to me - that they have to keep in touch with their friends.

In the old days, your co workers would be your friends and you would hang out with them at work and sometimes socialize with them after work.
Now peoples worlds are so small that people has a base circle of friends and it is hard to make new friends because they are a closed group.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 PM

23 posts, read 53,029 times
Why Erie? I grew up there and frankly if you are a young person I would choose another area. I got out as soon as I could.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 PM

712 posts, read 1,970,559 times
People from the inner cities, where things has always been bad, are looking for a place to live that has all the amenities of home but not the high rate of violence and poverty.

Only - many times they bring their problems from the old neighborhoods with them. One person moves in, then a relative or two see's how nice it is and moves and pretty soon the whole neighborhood has moved to the new area.

I could understand the color part, I was told that I was a racist last night because I said the n word and was fired from my job.
Only I was only making about $7 a hour and was traveling 5 hours a day to get to and from work - so when you spend $25 a day on gasoline to make $50 take home and you spend 16 hours a day - between the time you wake up till the time you get back home, it doesn't leave much time for sleep.
Not that you can get any - working a night shift job.

So I can understand someone that is willing to move to find better opportunities - as long as the opportunities are permanent and not just temporary. As my Uncle said to me last week - nothing today is permanent.
If you can get 5 years out of a employer - you are doing pretty good.
10 is great and 20 is almost unheard of - unless you are a school teacher, doctor, lawyer or pharmacist.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,886 times
I don't understand why people come on this website and ask if there is racism in a city. Why not live in a city where you know you won't have to face that? Move to Atlanta or Cleveland.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,815 times
Erie is 20 years behind the times. This place is like Mayberry. Not to mention Erie is a VERY parochial, cliquish community. The only non-Erie residents locals are nice to are tourists. But DON'T DARE MOVE TO ERIE FROM ANOTHER TOWN. You'll be ignored, lied to, talked about behind your back, etc. It's like attending a junior high school with 104,000 students. Erie sucks.

I grew up 45 minutes away, moved back here (to Erie proper) from Ohio, and believe me....come spring I'm moving BACK to Ohio.

Move to Cleveland or even Toledo. Beautiful lake views with less *****holes.

Last edited by badguykc; 11-12-2010 at 02:48 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM

356 posts, read 833,950 times
You're probably already in Erie, but on the off chance your not, don't move to the inner city. Stay north of 26th street (though north of 38th is better on the east side), or move to one of the surrounding townships, Millcreek, Harborcreek, etc. Erie's a nice little city, but poverty is a big problem.

And $1000/month is more than enough. You should buy a house if you can afford that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania