Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:48 PM

42 posts, read 121,787 times

Advertisements

well... actually it would be $350.00. The tax form they send you each year is a simple one page, and you attach a copy of your W-2. If you are self-employed, you have to pay in quarterly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM

86 posts, read 380,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnak
well... actually it would be $350.00. The tax form they send you each year is a simple one page, and you attach a copy of your W-2. If you are self-employed, you have to pay in quarterly.

I stand corrected on the $$$ amount - thanks

Do people in general make a big deal of having to pay this tax, I wonder?

It's funny that Paycheck.com doesn't have that figured in their formula.

Thanks so much for your prompt responses and help

Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
Its not going to break the bank, most likely, but it frustrated me because I also made about $40k a year when I lived in PA, and usually my federal tax return amounted to about $400 a year. Most years, I need that money for necessary expenditures. So I would get the tax money back from the federal government, and have to send it directly to the local government. Its like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I never knew about the tax when I lived in NJ, so when I moved to PA, I was extremely frustrated to find this out. Keep in mind also, if you are married, and your wife works, she of course also has to pay this- it's levied per person, not per household, so essentially, her tax return money also disappeared. Robbery, to say the least.

Some cities, like Philadelphia, levy a 3% wage tax. And the state wonders why people choose to move to the suburbs......

Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
Also, I forgot to add, if you are coming from NJ, expect the state income tax to be higher if you are making $35k. Up to $50k in NJ, the income tax bracket is only 1.5%, one of the lowest in the nation. PA state tax is levied at 3.07% across the board, no matter what you make. Coming from NY's high 5.75%, its good. But coming from NJ, expect to take home about $20 less a week in PA, not counting the wage tax.

PA is not the low tax haven that most people think it is.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:35 AM

70 posts, read 128,173 times
Unhappy Irritating taxes

Don't forget about the new Emergency Services Tax too that most towns charge - $52 that all comes out of your first paycheck of the year. If you're a college student working a part time job your first paycheck is often $0!

In PA all political power rests in the hands of the retired - they vote, and there's more of them than in any state but Florida, and they hate hate hate taxes. Can't blame 'em - fixed income and all. As a result, PA ranks dead last in terms of number of government employees per capita, and the roads are a joke - if you've ever driven I-81 through NY into PA you can tell exactly where the border is.
PA consistently ranks dead last in road quality too.

But still the state needs to make some money, and the oldster vote keeps property taxes to a minimum, so if you're a wage earner expect hidden taxes upon more hidden taxes.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:47 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
which towns in bucks dont have this tax? Does lehigh have it?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:48 AM

86 posts, read 380,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head
Also, I forgot to add, if you are coming from NJ, expect the state income tax to be higher if you are making $35k. Up to $50k in NJ, the income tax bracket is only 1.5%, one of the lowest in the nation. PA state tax is levied at 3.07% across the board, no matter what you make. Coming from NY's high 5.75%, its good. But coming from NJ, expect to take home about $20 less a week in PA, not counting the wage tax.

PA is not the low tax haven that most people think it is.

Well I know that the extra PA tax(es) stink but my perspective is that the apartment rentals can be had far cheaper (except for the main line area and some other areas) than in corrupt NJ and put auto insurance in the mix as well.
So those taxes are nothing in comparison to the outlay of hard earned money a New Jersey resident has to pay the landlord. I think soon enough NJ apartment rentals will go up even higher than they are now as Gov. "Terpentine" (Corzine) has cut education dollars to most towns/cities in NJ which has led to INCREASED property taxes within the last few months as towns/cities are making up for the deficit that way and wait till many of the new property reasessments take place - OHHHH BOY! The end result - the landlord will increase rental prices to try to make up their extra cost or greed - whichever applies.
Soon NJ will be solely for "millionares" at this rate.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! The wage act that was passed in 1947 capped the wage tax rate for suburban areas at 1% max. There are no towns that tax over 1% with the exception of Philadelphia which falls under the Sterling act that was passed in 1939 which has no limit to how much it can tax. If the town you live in has this tax, then you dont have to pay it to the town you work in. Unless of course you work in Philadelphia, where they take the tax instead of the town you live in. Philadelphias city wage tax is the highest around and is currently at 3.7716% for nonresidents and 4.301% for residents. So, unless you plan on living or working inside of Philadelphias city limits, the wage tax is just pennies in the pot. It cost me $500 last year. Thats only a little more that $9 a week.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:27 AM

20 posts, read 132,038 times
New Hope and the surrounding towns on both sides of the river are very nice when they are dry. However, certain areas are prone to severe flooding especially downtown New Hope. If you are seriously considering purchasing a home in this area I would check with either a local insurance agent who sells Flood Insurance or real estate agent to educate yourself on the areas that flood.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
PA still has NJ and NY beat when it comes to taxes, hands down.
http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxburdens.html

New Hope is adorable. It is a terrific place to visit; can't say how it is to live there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania