U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,641 times

Advertisements

i moved to new hope about 6 month's ago.in a community called north point.nice houses ,good neibors and plenty of room.....i moved from brooklyn ny..lived there 48 yrs..we find it to be a very good area.family loves it..i commute to eliz. nj 4 days a week,bout a hour & 15 min..not bad...but to come home to my house here,i can't wait..i love it...nice houses, alittle high but then what isn;t....sometimes in downtown and peddlers village it can get crowded,but i never go when it's the weekend...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 17,971 times
New Hope is a very strange place... the center of town is full of neat little shops, restaurants, etc. and there is a very diverse population, at least if you consider bikers, hippies, and GLBT folks "diverse." However, I find all the ares outside of the center of town rather banal. It's all covered in huge, affluent developments that have virtually no appeal or individuality at all. Not surprisingly, Real Estate in New Hope (and in most of Bucks Co. for that matter) is REALLY HIGH. And yes, the Delaware River floods a lot- which is because so many people now live in all the developments they've built around the river that huge amounts of wastewater and runoff from those neighborhoods is being carried from the sewers directly into the river... local streams/lakes are slowly drying up and the water level of the Delaware is getting higher. Ironically enough, the same people who build new homes near the river and consume and use more and more water have their property damaged when the river floods, which is usually about once a year. It goes to show that what we do to the environment really does effect our lives- and that one should not buy a house on the banks of the Delaware River.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,186 times
Default New Hope

New Hope is a town very close to my heart, I've been going there (during the warmer months) every other weekend with my family. I love it there. I would love to live there if it weren't for the very cold temps (do to the river) in the winter, or the bad flooding every few years. But if you've never been there to visit, I strongly recommend that you take a trip down there.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM

42 posts, read 116,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! The wage act that was passed in 1947 capped the wage tax rate for suburban areas at 1% max. There are no towns that tax over 1% with the exception of Philadelphia which falls under the Sterling act that was passed in 1939 which has no limit to how much it can tax.
Well - Wilkes Barre's wage tax is currently 2.89%...

Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 39,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
New Hope is beautiful, but I don't know if I would want to live there. I would suggest Newtown or Yardley in that area.
new hope is an historic town that only has 2000 people in it, to even compare it to newtown or yardley is absurd. newtown or yardley are alot cheaper because you need to be have alot of money to live in a house in new hope. this person says new hope is beautiful but dosn't think she would like to live here? maybe she likes ugly large city towns like yardley or newtown better or just can't afford new hope. new hope is the best place to live, its a small historic town, the schools are great, and its beautiful too

Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
Hi,
You will probably be charged a 1% Earned Income Tax, which will be deducted from your paycheck and paid to the municipality where you work. In April, you have to file 3 income tax returns - fed, state, and local. Some places (the cities) are taxed at higher rates - Philly has the highest anywhere!
the low property taxes in pa more than make up the difference of living in new jersey, also it does not smell like a toilet here in pa, unless you go to philadelphia.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post
Phish Head or anyone else that could respond to this - I want to ask a followup queston to what you said in your first paragraph.

So, if I was to relocate from where I am in Northern NJ and would rent out a studio or 1 bedroom apartment would I still pay this tax? How does the individual towns/cities collect this or how is it reported? I would be looking to move within the Chester or Delaware county areas.

This possible extra expenditure (tax) if it applies to me would change my "tune" about the possibility of moving into PA altogether.

Thanks
new hope is not crowded on the weekends anymore, now alot more people come during the week. if you buy a house here in bucks your property values will go up faster than in other counties. thats why its worth it to live in bucks county, you can make more money in the long run with a real estate investment, like your house.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishesforfishes View Post
New Hope is a very strange place... the center of town is full of neat little shops, restaurants, etc. and there is a very diverse population, at least if you consider bikers, hippies, and GLBT folks "diverse." However, I find all the ares outside of the center of town rather banal. It's all covered in huge, affluent developments that have virtually no appeal or individuality at all. Not surprisingly, Real Estate in New Hope (and in most of Bucks Co. for that matter) is REALLY HIGH. And yes, the Delaware River floods a lot- which is because so many people now live in all the developments they've built around the river that huge amounts of wastewater and runoff from those neighborhoods is being carried from the sewers directly into the river... local streams/lakes are slowly drying up and the water level of the Delaware is getting higher. Ironically enough, the same people who build new homes near the river and consume and use more and more water have their property damaged when the river floods, which is usually about once a year. It goes to show that what we do to the environment really does effect our lives- and that one should not buy a house on the banks of the Delaware River.
new hope flodded 3 times in 50 years. it does not flood every year. if you buy a house here it will increase in value which is why smart people buy homes in new hope and invest in property here!! I own 2.4 million in property here and it goes up 150,000 a year and i do nothing but sit back and get rich

Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I've been reading these threads and several have said that Doylestown is somewhat snooty. Is New Hope the same? I'm coming from a snooty town in NY. Don't want to relocate to another one!
new hope is not like doylestown at all. new hope is a small town where everyone knows everyone else. everyone is friendly here so we hope you come and visit us, everyone is a little weird in new hope too, in an artsy kind of way

Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishesforfishes View Post

i would not buy a house on the river either but because of the noise, and you have to look at new jersey on the other side. but the floods are caused by new york Reservoirs hoarding water then dumping it. it has affected fishing and wildlife all along the delaware river. blame new york where they are so concerned with having drinking water in a drought for new york city that they keep the Reservoirs at 100% capacity then dump it with no regard for those downstream. during the flood of 06 (the worst one) it was a sunny weekend! we have gotten the delaware basin to lower the levels of the Reservoirs to 80% so that is why there are no more floods here. new hope didn't flood for 50 years! do you think they just built houses 3 years ago?
only 06 flood was bad anyway and the news media went overboard with it anyway. we don't allow them into the town now because they damaged the town worse than any flood ever did.
i live on solebury mountain in new hope, just in case greedy water hoarding new york dumps on us again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania