U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2006, 03:07 PM
 
262 posts, read 1,195,594 times
Reputation: 131

Advertisements

I've been reading these threads and several have said that Doylestown is somewhat snooty. Is New Hope the same? I'm coming from a snooty town in NY. Don't want to relocate to another one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
 
262 posts, read 1,195,594 times
Reputation: 131
Thanks for your reply but why do you think PA is a bad place to live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM
 
86 posts, read 370,739 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by play_my_rekkid
You have to pay an occupational tax to work here. Ranging anywhere from $10 to $52. It gets taken out of your paycheck. Not to mention low wages and crappy benefits(if at all).
Never heard of this tax. How often is it taken out of the paycheck?
I know about the City Wage Tax if one works in Philadelphia County.

I Agree with You about the Low Wages - I've been seeking to relocate into the PA burbs (Delco and Chester County areas) and been finding only $11-$14/hour jobs (gross to say the least) albeit I've seen "some" paying better but there's not enough of these in the case on a consistant basis if I were to get laid off and need to find a similar paying job.

What's with these employers not paying a livable wage anyways where almost anywhere else in the US the pay is better for the same job?

Last edited by nowaytoknowyet; 08-13-2006 at 07:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,635 times
Reputation: 11
Default New Hope

I absolutely love New Hope, PA. The neighborhood is lovely with plenty of little shops and eateries. I visit a few times every year and everyone I talk to is very friendly. I highly recommend New Hope!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 12:50 PM
 
Location: At the local Wawa
538 posts, read 2,383,640 times
Reputation: 458
Default PA wage tax

Most municipalities in PA levy a "wage tax". You won't see this in the relocation packages and its always a surprise to newcomers to PA. Most towns it's 1% - 1.5% of your gross wages. Only 3 towns in Bucks do NOT levy this tax. Some towns, like Scranton, it is higher (maybe 2% or more). Doesn't sound like much, but if you make $60,000 a year, it's $600-$1200 a year, almost as much as car insurance. There is a reason that property taxes are low in PA, the wage tax makes up for it. Pennsylvania has some hidden taxes that someone from NJ/NY may not be used to. Governments have to make up the money somehow. I found my tax burden in moving from NJ to PA went higher, surprisingly.

New Hope is a nice town, but extremely touristy, especially during the summer and fall months. On nice summer weekends, it can be impossible to walk downtown. New Hope also has a large motorcycle contingent. The town has passed noise ordinances because many of these motorcyclists have "straight pipes" meaning no mufflers. Most of the tourists are from Philly, NYC, and NJ and tend to be aggressive and pushy, to say the least. Fall and spring weekdays, New Hope returns to a quaint country town. Also, New Hope, being right on the river, floods every few years. The town across the river, Lambertville, is just as quaint and not quite as touristy, but close.

All in all, the whole Delaware Valley from Yardley north is a beautful place to live. Don't put any creedence in the words of a certain individual (troll) on this forum that says that all of PA sucks.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
 
262 posts, read 1,195,594 times
Reputation: 131
Lots of good information...thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 03:34 PM
 
2,259 posts, read 7,278,020 times
Reputation: 962
New Hope is beautiful, but I don't know if I would want to live there. I would suggest Newtown or Yardley in that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 04:32 PM
 
86 posts, read 370,739 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head
Most municipalities in PA levy a "wage tax". You won't see this in the relocation packages and its always a surprise to newcomers to PA. Most towns it's 1% - 1.5% of your gross wages. Only 3 towns in Bucks do NOT levy this tax. Some towns, like Scranton, it is higher (maybe 2% or more). Doesn't sound like much, but if you make $60,000 a year, it's $600-$1200 a year, almost as much as car insurance. There is a reason that property taxes are low in PA, the wage tax makes up for it. Pennsylvania has some hidden taxes that someone from NJ/NY may not be used to. Governments have to make up the money somehow. I found my tax burden in moving from NJ to PA went higher, surprisingly.

New Hope is a nice town, but extremely touristy, especially during the summer and fall months. On nice summer weekends, it can be impossible to walk downtown. New Hope also has a large motorcycle contingent. The town has passed noise ordinances because many of these motorcyclists have "straight pipes" meaning no mufflers. Most of the tourists are from Philly, NYC, and NJ and tend to be aggressive and pushy, to say the least. Fall and spring weekdays, New Hope returns to a quaint country town. Also, New Hope, being right on the river, floods every few years. The town across the river, Lambertville, is just as quaint and not quite as touristy, but close.

All in all, the whole Delaware Valley from Yardley north is a beautful place to live. Don't put any creedence in the words of a certain individual (troll) on this forum that says that all of PA sucks.....
Phish Head or anyone else that could respond to this - I want to ask a followup queston to what you said in your first paragraph.

So, if I was to relocate from where I am in Northern NJ and would rent out a studio or 1 bedroom apartment would I still pay this tax? How does the individual towns/cities collect this or how is it reported? I would be looking to move within the Chester or Delaware county areas.

This possible extra expenditure (tax) if it applies to me would change my "tune" about the possibility of moving into PA altogether.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre
42 posts, read 116,891 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet
So, if I was to relocate from where I am in Northern NJ and would rent out a studio or 1 bedroom apartment would I still pay this tax? How does the individual towns/cities collect this or how is it reported? I would be looking to move within the Chester or Delaware county areas.
This possible extra expenditure (tax) if it applies to me would change my "tune" about the possibility of moving into PA altogether.
Thanks
Hi,
You will probably be charged a 1% Earned Income Tax, which will be deducted from your paycheck and paid to the municipality where you work. In April, you have to file 3 income tax returns - fed, state, and local. Some places (the cities) are taxed at higher rates - Philly has the highest anywhere!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
 
86 posts, read 370,739 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnak
Hi,
You will probably be charged a 1% Earned Income Tax, which will be deducted from your paycheck and paid to the municipality where you work. In April, you have to file 3 income tax returns - fed, state, and local. Some places (the cities) are taxed at higher rates - Philly has the highest anywhere!
Karnak - Thanks so much for your response.

REALLY?! WOW and I thought New "Jerkey" was bad.

I'm kinda surprised at this extra tax that I never heard of all of these years by anyone till today.

So lets say I earned $35K/year @ 1% that would come out to about $35.00.

Not really a big deal, but the headache of filing a city tax kinda stinks - I wonder if people have benefited from filing that part monetary wise?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top