U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM

130 posts, read 293,567 times

Advertisements

I can't stand it in Texas anymore. I want to come back to PA. The problem is, I don't really know where to go. Sunbury is an option, but it would have to be rural Sunbury so I can get away from the city noise and clutter.

Does anyone here know of any nice small towns in PA? I have no children so school is not an issue and I don't care if the population is largely the elderly. I just want to live in a small town that has a mild summer and a snowy winter.

A big problem is finding housing and a job. My significant other works on fixing computers, so something in that area would be nice. I would like to find a nice half a double as housing or something for a good price.

If you could help me , I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get out of here, I can't stand Texas anymore. I can't stand the heat, I can't stand there huge horrible roaches. I can't stand the insects and glut of young people that don't give a s*** about anyone but themselves.

I can't take the home sickness anymore. I just can't.

Thank you

Last edited by Alyx_Vance; 08-19-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,246,052 times
If you want to stay in the Sunbury area with a nice half double, I would suggest any of the following:

Selinsgrove
Lewisburg
Danville
Watsontown

Thinking about it a bit more, Watsontown may be a good fit for you. It's certainly the smallest of the towns I mentioned. I would imagine you could find a nice half double there, and as far as computer work, if there's nothing right local you'd be within commuting distance of Williamsport, Milton, Sunbury and other or the larger communities that might have work available.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM

712 posts, read 1,767,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
I can't stand it in Texas anymore. I want to come back to PA. The problem is, I don't really know where to go. Sunbury is an option, but it would have to be rural Sunbury so I can get away from the city noise and clutter.

Does anyone here know of any nice small towns in PA? I have no children so school is not an issue and I don't care if the population is largely the elderly. I just want to live in a small town that has a mild summer and a snowy winter.

A big problem is finding housing and a job. My significant other works on fixing computers, so something in that area would be nice. I would like to find a nice half a double as housing or something for a good price.

If you could help me , I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get out of here, I can't stand Texas anymore. I can't stand the heat, I can't stand there huge horrible roaches. I can't stand the insects and glut of young people that don't give a s*** about anyone but themselves.

I can't take the home sickness anymore. I just can't.

Thank you
It sounds to me as if you want something handed to you.

Computer repair requires you to have a shop, a Tax ID number and some cash on hand to get set up. From the way that I take it, you are pretty much down to the bone where you are at.

I wouldn't say that Sunbury has mild summers and snowy winters.
This summer was the 6th hottest on record and last winter was no better.

I believe that what you are looking for is to get established someplace once again in Pennsylvania. Altoona has not picked up to the point of where I would suggest that you go there. Erie is sliding downwards. Pittsburgh - you wouldn't be able to afford living in the suburbs.

Williamsport PA is the place where you are looking for.
Near the interstate, lot's of good jobs opening up - all you have to do is be willing to work.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
It sounds to me as if you want something handed to you.

Computer repair requires you to have a shop, a Tax ID number and some cash on hand to get set up. From the way that I take it, you are pretty much down to the bone where you are at.

I wouldn't say that Sunbury has mild summers and snowy winters.
This summer was the 6th hottest on record and last winter was no better.

I believe that what you are looking for is to get established someplace once again in Pennsylvania. Altoona has not picked up to the point of where I would suggest that you go there. Erie is sliding downwards. Pittsburgh - you wouldn't be able to afford living in the suburbs.

Williamsport PA is the place where you are looking for.
Near the interstate, lot's of good jobs opening up - all you have to do is be willing to work.

I think you are a bit mistaken. It is my significant other that I am trying to find work for. He likes working on computers so I am trying to find something he could do. He works on computers right now and by no means owns his own business. I had set up my own business long ago, but it was not fruitful and set it aside once I became a housewife.

I'll agree that the summer this year as been bad. It was kinda sad to see that the weather was actually milder for quite some time here in Texas then what it was in Sunbury. Is it a sign of things to come? I hope not.

I was reading another thread here and a small town suggested was, Ebensburg, PA. Seems like a nice (really really) small town.

I am sorry if I come off as lazy or anything of the sort. My mind is foggy and tired today and I'm not feeling quite up to par.

Thank you for the information, now just to do some more research. It is all a bit confusing, because I don't really know what to do. It's not just the matter of packing up and moving, but making sure we can find a home and a job.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM

12,925 posts, read 29,958,045 times
Alyx, Your post was fine. I think it was Honest Bob that was confused.

Why not look at the Craigslists on different parts of the state to get an idea of the job market?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM

712 posts, read 1,767,762 times
I am very familiar with Ebensburgh and there is very little work there.

I am on the PA career link web site 4 hours a day, and about the only service jobs listed for Ebensburgh is once or twice a year when they have a shut down at the local power plant and are looking for laborers.

I saw the Gamesta blades going through town quite often when I was at the Kentucky Fried Chicken eating lunch on Thursday afternoons.

Phillipsburg has some jobs listed from time to time at the machine shops and car dealers and some jobs listed for working on the drilling rigs and assembly.

Clearfield has next to nothing.

I would advise you to look at the online editions of the local newspapers here and see for yourself what is listed, along with looking on the PA Careerlink web site daily.

Sunbury is one of the hardest hit places when it comes to finding a entry level job that pays more then minimum wage.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post

I saw the Gamesta blades
Gamesta blades? I am not familiar with this. What does that mean?

Your post paints a bleak picture. I do recall the hard time I had finding a job in Sunbury after 2002. Prior to 2002, I hadn't had any trouble. Even when you do find a job there, it is usually just minimum wage.

Checking the online newspapers sounds like a good idea. I'll need to do my homework on all this, to be sure. It is really helpful to get all things sorted out in my mind with all these helpful posts.

Thank you

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,426,604 times
Gamesa - it's a company that makes big windmills that set up operations a few years ago in the Johnstown area, so trucks carrying pieces of big windmills are commonly seen in the area.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,372,681 times
Perhaps he would like to be self employed repairing computers for college students and such. The State College area would provide plenty of college students who might be open to contacting someone who offers to repair computers for cheap. But I have no idea whether it's possible to make a living doing that. Who knows ? He could possibly also get a job delivering pizzas or something. Those type of employers may like the idea of hiring somebody who'll be here year round and don't have a class schedule. Probably can't afford living in State College on that kind of income, though. Maybe in a small town nearby such as Bellefonte or Centre Hall, also Phillipsburg as Honest Bob mentioned but that's a bit more of a drive to State College. Cheap rentals around State College and in those towns include some real dumps, though, so be careful. Lots of old buildings in those towns, probably older than most of what's in Texas. In fact, I checked an old dump out a couple years ago, and said no thanks. Dead bugs in the tub and a faucet that won't turn on and has dirt in the sink are not good signs. There's another university in Lock Haven.

I don't know your current situation, but leaving a job in Texas to do this sounds like a pretty big risk. However, entrepreneurs are risk takers. Better make sure you know what you're doing though.

Ebensburg, you'd be half way between the Johnstown and Altoona metro areas. There are about 275 thousand people in Blair and Cambria counties. That's not a huge market for somebody who's self employed fixing computers.

Maybe the Pittsburgh metro area, or nearby (such as Slippery Rock, California, PA or Indiana, PA where there are other universities) ?

The areas I mentioned fit your weather criteria, as they have mild summers and snowy winters. As for getting a job, however, other than State College and Pittsburgh, it may be very hard to get any kind of job at all.

For what it's worth, Altoona has a lower unemployment rate than Williamsport, so I'm not totally sold on the idea that Williamsport is teeming with jobs. Bob probably knows better, though.

As for how to get hired by somebody for a job fixing computers for their company, I'm not sure where to look. As suggested, look around to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania