Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakko View Post
If we had a do over we would be in the South.
You said that twice, and it's the second most outlandish statement in this thread. Study your history, Pennsylvania past was never like, or ever close to being a southern state. The original inhabitants and founders did not hold values that were similar to what evolved in the southern states. As one example, look up the 'Fair Play Settlers'.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
PA is not part of the South but the boundary runs through parts of MD, VA and Delaware. Places with the look, pace of life and even the accent of the SE Atlantic Coast make DELMARVA more like parts of North Carolina than the Mid-Atlantic. There is a canal from the Chesapeake to Delaware Bay that marks the boundary between Newcastle County aka Joe Biden land (Willmington-Newark) and Dover County which is southern. In Maryland Salisbury, Cambridge and Ocean City are southern as is Chincataegue in VA. In Maryland several tidewater counties outsude of the DC sprawl are southern. In VA the region north of the Rappahannock river is a land called Nova (Northern Virginia ) which some Virginians want to disown for its liberal politics and lifestyle that resembles the places like New Jersey or Fairfield Cty CT than a self respecting southern city. The pull and taint of DC is strong in Nova.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In VA the region north of the Rappahannock river is a land called Nova (Northern Virginia ) which some Virginians want to disown for its liberal politics and lifestyle that resembles the places like New Jersey or Fairfield Cty CT than a self respecting southern city. The pull and taint of DC is strong in Nova.

That's funny you say this. From my observations, many people in NOVA (oftentimes themselves born and raised somewhere else) would like to disown the rest of VA for the exact opposite reason.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs7bw!n View Post
Hello Pennsylvania natives i'm from Illinois and was curious as to what part of the country would you all prefer Pennsylvania to be associated with, the North or South, I personally think Pennsylvania should be labeled as the North but my neighbor from New Jersey s ays PA is the South, I know some of you will say PA is PA and nothing else but PA did have slavery which gives it southern roots.
PA did NOT have slavery, it's southern border is the Mason Dixon Line.
Your friend hasn't a clue

Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 AM

19 posts, read 32,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
PA did NOT have slavery, it's southern border is the Mason Dixon Line.
Your friend hasn't a clue

Are you sure? George Washington had slaves in Philly.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? George Washington had slaves in Philly.
Washington was from Virginia, he was allowed to bring Personal attendants with him while serving as President of the US.
The Mason Dixon line is the Southern Border of PA. That straight line sureyed in by the firm of Mason and Dixon.
Didin't you learn that in school?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 AM

19 posts, read 32,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Washington was from Virginia, he was allowed to bring Personal attendants with him while serving as President of the US.
The Mason Dixon line is the Southern Border of PA. That straight line sureyed in by the firm of Mason and Dixon.
Didin't you learn that in school?

I know exactly where the line is and there were slaves in Philly.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,795 times
Quote:
All of the original colonies allowed slavery, so what's your point? Yes PA had slaves, but New York had the highest amount amongst all of the Northern states. Is New York therefore Southern because of that? Of course not and neither is PA. New Jersey had the second highest number of slaves in the North. LINK

I'm not sure what you mean by "if we had to do it over again we'd be in the South" but PA (like most states) is very embarrassed and ashamed of it's slave history. We were the first state to pass a law abolishing slavery in 1780. Vermont was still a colony when they abolished it in 1777.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Pennslyvania was founded by Quakers and Mennonites, there were no slaves.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs7bw!n View Post
Hello Pennsylvania natives i'm from Illinois and was curious as to what part of the country would you all prefer Pennsylvania to be associated with, the North or South, I personally think Pennsylvania should be labeled as the North but my neighbor from New Jersey says PA is the South, I know some of you will say PA is PA and nothing else but PA did have slavery which gives it southern roots.
One Post Wonder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania