Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM

199 posts, read 519,163 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the South Bronx and in Bed-Stuy, so I'm well aware of what it's like to live in a neighborhood where my own race is not the overwhelming statistic. But thank you for trying to push your crap on me. It was a valiant effort.

I'm really glad you are of the fringe minority and that the majority of Pennsylvania doesn't think like you. Otherwise I'd be reconsidering my decision to live here.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 AM

889 posts, read 2,564,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakko View Post
No there are many who agree with me.

If you lived in N. Philly for just ONE week you would change your mind.
Let's review, you don't like where you live, and you're uncomfortable with people having a different skin color and a different culture. And because of that, 300+ years of history should have been changed to accomodate you. You're really something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
...I'm really glad you are of the fringe minority and that the majority of Pennsylvania doesn't think like you. Otherwise I'd be reconsidering my decision to live here.
He/she is clearly the fringe.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM

7,258 posts, read 10,517,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakko View Post
No there are many who agree with me.

If you lived in N. Philly for just ONE week you would change your mind.
So, by your logic, all states that are home to communities with high concentrations of African-American poverty are therefore "Southern."

By logical extension, Massachusetts (Mattapan/Roxbury, Boston), New York (Harlem, New York), Illinois (South Side, Chicago), New Jersey (Newark/Camden), Michigan (Detroit), Wisconsin (Milwaukee), Connecticut (Hartford), Minnesota (Minneapolis) -- and virtually ever other state in the country -- are in the South.

Let's get real here, folks.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM

199 posts, read 519,163 times
I don't think he's saying those are southern areas-- he was trying to insinuate that because we have areas heavily populated with African-American poverty, we should have a "do-over" and take the side of the more racist south.

It was a racist, bigoted comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I don't think he's saying those are southern areas-- he was trying to insinuate that because we have areas heavily populated with African-American poverty, we should have a "do-over" and take the side of the more racist south.

It was a racist, bigoted comment. Nothing more, nothing less.
If that is the case, that is indeed an abhorrent thing to imply. Unfortunately, however, we all know that the Mason-Dixon line was never really a boundary for those who hold racist attitudes.

So much for that "plan."

Old 09-23-2010, 04:16 PM

14,173 posts, read 22,624,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
So, by your logic, all states that are home to communities with high concentrations of African-American poverty are therefore "Southern."

By logical extension, Massachusetts (Mattapan/Roxbury, Boston), New York (Harlem, New York), Illinois (South Side, Chicago), New Jersey (Newark/Camden), Michigan (Detroit), Wisconsin (Milwaukee), Connecticut (Hartford), Minnesota (Minneapolis) -- and virtually ever other state in the country -- are in the South.

Let's get real here, folks.
Hell, Chicago is a hotbed of jazz and blues for a reason: because blacks from Memphis and New Orleans migrated there. So there you have it: Chicago is the quintessential Southern city.

Actually, with all the blacks in Chicago and the "Copperheads" in southern Illinois, Illinois is clearly the Heart of Dixie!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 AM

18 posts, read 26,269 times
Ok, I am hashing up an old post here since I posted something similiar to this but it got flagged for review (why I have no idea). Pennsylvania is not a southern state by definition, nor is it a midwestern state, it is part of the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. I do believe PA has some features of the northeast, the southeast and the mid west. Especially in the central part of the region. I live in the southern part of NEPA on the verge of SouthCentral PA (Hazleton) about 2 miles form Schuylkill County. I can tell you right now that within a 10 mile radius of were I live I can get a real Pizza, a chicken fried steak with biscuits, a cheesesteak, grits, scrapple, cornbread, green tea or sweet tea, moonshine or a fine wine. I can also within a 10 mile radius of my house, Country Line Dance, Polka Dance, find a bar playing Sinatra, find a bar playing Louis Armostong or find on play Bruce Springsteen.

Accents vary, Coal region and to the west Strongly resemble a midwestern accent. Southern PA towards the MD line have Southern sounding accents, Pittsburgh and Philly both have there own distinct accents.

PA definetely is a Northern state. I do not consider us run of the mill yankee's if I consider us yankees at all. Hell I don't even consider New Yorker's yankees. I think PA being the "Keystone State" we are definetely influenced by all our neighboring regions. We are part of Appalachia, but also part of the Northeast. We do have rednecks (yes real ones, even though the north and the south seem to be in denial about this). We do have yuppies and liberals. Were place like New York and California are culturally diverse in an international sense, I think places like PA are very culturally diverse in a National sense.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
PA definetely is a Northern state. I do not consider us run of the mill yankee's if I consider us yankees at all. Hell I don't even consider New Yorker's yankees. I think PA being the "Keystone State" we are definetely influenced by all our neighboring regions. We are part of Appalachia, but also part of the Northeast. We do have rednecks (yes real ones, even though the north and the south seem to be in denial about this). We do have yuppies and liberals. Were place like New York and California are culturally diverse in an international sense, I think places like PA are very culturally diverse in a National sense.
I know you're really trying to prove a point here, and I really admire your tenacity, but the answer is no.

You seem to be really neglecting the effects of globalization/spread of culture. This is when culture in native areas spread to surrounding regions, (i.e., Southern fare like BBQ and moonshine making its way into Northern areas). Are you honestly trying to tell me that these things have originated in PA? LOL. As an example, please look at this video of country line dancing in Japan -- a prime example of globalization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnmoD...eature=related

You can find everything you're describing in every corner of the United States. That does not make certain areas/states less distinct, however, in terms of their native culture. Accents, too, in every part of PA are very distinctly part of the North, even if there are a couple dialectical similarities in some parts of the state with other regions.

I think you also need to recognize, as many Northerners do not, that "Southern" or "Midwestern" culture is not synonymous with "rural" or "country" culture. In other words, the supposed features that you believe align us more with other regions are not exclusive to those regions.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-23-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 26,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I know you're really trying to prove a point here, and I really admire your tenacity, but the answer is no.

You seem to be really neglecting the effects of globalization/spread of culture. This is when culture in native areas spread to surrounding regions, (i.e., Southern fare like BBQ and moonshine making its way into Northern areas). Are you honestly trying to tell me that these things have originated in PA? LOL. As an example, please look at this video of country line dancing in Japan -- a prime example of globalization:

Country Dance T.N.K 2010

You can find everything you're describing in every corner of the United States. That does not make certain areas/states less distinct, however, in terms of their native culture. Accents, too, in every part of PA are very distinctly part of the North, even if there are a couple dialectical similarities in some parts of the state with other regions.

I think you also need to recognize, as many Northerners do not, that "Southern" or "Midwestern" culture is not synonymous with "rural" or "country" culture. In other words, the supposed features that you believe align us more with other regions are not exclusive to those regions.
I'm not saying we are Southern. All I am saying is we are not yankee's. And our culture along with Western NY outside of Philly and NYC is a lot more rural than the rest of the northeast. I am in no way shape or form saying we are southern.

And as far as accents go. The only two regions that sound remotely close to a northern accent are the pocono's and philly. Just read an entire article on this.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,242,792 times
Rural <> Southern. PA is in the North. We fought on the side of the Union a million years ago and the decisive battle was fought and celebrated as a Northern victory in Gettysburg, PA. There is no debate here.

When I moved to FL from PA, everyone called me a 'yank'. Besides being a Phillies fan being called a Yankee is offensive enough. I just told them I prefer the term "winner".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania