Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 11,083 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the Chambersburg area in the fall of 2011. We are retiring and will need some info about housing, utilities, shopping, taxes,& weather. We are originally from the Pgh/Altoona area and are not familiar with this area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM

955 posts, read 4,088,644 times
Look on the page just above where you posted this topic. There's a 'search this forum' button. Open that, enter Chambersburg, hit go and bunches of info will be available for you.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM

We already saw the info under the forum but would like to hear of some personal experiences and get their input

Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Hi, we moved to Chbg almost 3 years ago and we are happy with our move. I'll give you what info I know and hope it helps.

Housing--very affordable in our experience, but we moved from the overpriced Metro DC area. There are quite a few retiree housing developments, such as Menno Haven and Luther Ridge. Our neighborhood is one of the newer neighborhoods and most of the ranch houses are retirees. It depends what your price range is and what you're looking for.

Utilities--if you live in the borough, all your utilities are on one bill from what I understand. We are in a township. We have Allegheny Power and I'm not sure there is another choice. For phone there is Comcast and Verizon I think. TV is Comcast, Dish Network. Gas is UGI. Trash can be IESI or Parks, there are a couple other smaller choices. For internet, Comcast or Embarq.

Shopping-- there is one small mall that has a Sears, JCP, Burlington and BonTon with some other stores. The mall also has the only movie theatre. There is a newer shopping area on Walker Rd which has Target, Kohl's, Staples, Michael's, PetSmart, Giant, Five Below, Rue 21, and a couple other stores. Rt 30 has Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Aldi, Dunham's, Tractor Supply, Radio Shack, Dollar Tree, Ollie's. Wayne Ave has a few more shops, another Giant and a Weis. There are also 2 Food Lions, one on each side of town. Whatever shopping we don't have can be found 20 minutes north in Carlisle or 20 minutes south in Hagerstown.

Taxes--no taxes on retirement. Greene Twp doesn't have a property tax. School taxes are the highest in the area since Chambersburg Area School District (CASD) is the largest in the area. It's 1.7%now I believe. I'd have to get my records out to remember the rest.

Weather--not bad. This past winter had the most snow in 6 years, according to my neighbors, but then again, the whole country had it worse than usual. We only used our snowblower once the year before last. Summers aren't so humid and good season changes.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 AM

Thank you so much for your input. This is the kind of info we were looking for. We were glad to hear that you like the area so much. Have you been to the community theater there yet? We were wondering what kind of shows they have there.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1020 View Post
Thank you so much for your input. This is the kind of info we were looking for. We were glad to hear that you like the area so much. Have you been to the community theater there yet? We were wondering what kind of shows they have there.
I wish, but with 2 kids and a husband who doesn't like theatre much, I haven't been yet. I have heard good things, and I believe their productions are held the Capitol Theatre. Chambersburg Community Theatre, Inc.

The Capitol Theatre. During the summer they show movies on the big screen--old classics, Disney films, that type of thing.

Shippensburg University also has Luhrs Center.

Also right down Rt 30 in Fayettville is Totem Pole Playhouse

and just a bit further in Gettysburg Majestic Theater - index.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,955 times
This is great information. I'm also looking into retirement in the Chambersburg area within 2 years or so.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
don't have much to say but we passed through and the town looked nice to us. interesting town center. it was swarming with people when we were there but I hear that's unusual (maybe they need more events.) people we met were extremely friendly at texas lunch, we hope to make it back some day and try the chicken and waffles place. nearby gettysburg is a nice looking town as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
looking at the city data site (not forum) it appears chambersburg gets good sun in the summer, it cools down at night, gets a fair amount of snow in the winter, but isn't that windy (relative to Philly anyway). it appears there is a small but growing hispanic population (that may soon be the largest minority group) and crime is pretty low, mostly theft. is this an accurate description?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Well, it depends. Lots of sun in the summer, but temps stay close to the same at night...even with these few weeks of high 90's this summer. This past winter was hard, but the 2 winters before we used our snowblower only once...very little snow. The kids had maybe 2 snow days 2 winters ago, mostly because of the rural parts of the area had snow drifting back over the roads that are directly next to fields. I find it quite windy in my area, but I am near the base of the mountains, and I like having a nice breeze.
Crime is low, usually shoplifting or drunks being disorderly. There have been a couple bank and convenient store robberies downtown, but they already caught the perps. Seems like there are a lot of DUI arrests mentioned in the paper.
Downtown has some hispanics, but I don't see many in the townships. Remember that this is a very rural area and there are migrant workers during apple season. Compared to when I lived in the Metro DC area, it's nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania