Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 AM

712 posts, read 1,974,684 times

Advertisements

I just renewed my pistol permit a couple of months ago - because someone stole my wallet last year and my permit was in the wallet and I didn't want to press the issue. I believe Jefferson county charged me about $25 and not $20

The cost of the permit varies and not all county's has a system where they have a photo ID. They also informed all permit holders that this is the last year that you can apply for a permit by mail. Everyone now has to have their photo taken.

If you are a member of the US Military and on active duty, you do not have to have a pistol permit in Pennsylvania.

But if you are from out of state and have a loaded weapon under the front seat - even if you do have a permit from another state and get caught doing anything illegal. Even a traffic stop - you can be arrested for having a concealed weapon and you will get into a lot of trouble. That is the stupidest thing you can do. If you want to carry a firearm - your best bet is to either put it between the seat cushions or directly on the front seat beside you. That way - no one can tell you that you can't have it in the vehicle.

When I brought home guns for repair from Virginia for family members, I carried them in a gun case and I traveled with no ammo or with the ammo locked in the trunk and the guns in open view.

Places like Philadelphia PA or Washington DC it is still a big no no to carry a pistol through town. Even if you have a permit and even if you are just traveling through. Like others has said, that pistol will get you into a lot more trouble then what it will get you out of. If you shoot someone, you will be the one going to jail and not the perp.

Point in fact is - all PA State Troopers on highway patrol wears bullet proof vests at all times. That tells you that even they are afraid of someone shooting them and that if push came to shove - and they are scared, you are going to be the one to be shot to death and not them. The job of the police is to enforce the laws and they are the ones who decides who lives and who die's - not you.

It is not dangerous to travel through Pennsylvania and you don't need to carry a gun with you to feel safe. Where I live, you don't even need to lock the doors on your automobile at night. If someone really wants into your vehicle, they will just bust a window or pick the lock anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,713,185 times
PA does have an agreement to honor TX concealed carry permits, but it will most likely save you some hassle with the local popo if you just get your PA permit anyways. They are only $25, and are not hard to get.

Non-PA residents can even apply for a permit to carry in PA, provided that you have a permit from your home state.

The reality is that not all of the local police officers will understand the complex ins and outs of our gun laws, and may give you some unwanted friction if you don't have a PA permit.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,998,127 times
Texas CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/texas-ccw-state-laws.php - broken link)

Pennsylvania CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/pennsylvania-ccw-state-laws.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania