Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM

25 posts, read 60,540 times

Advertisements

So as mentioned in my previous thread we are moving to the Dover area in PA. I have a few firearms in which will be brought up with me. My question is do I need to be aware of any strange laws, rules that may be different from TX.

I dont have a concealed carry but in TX you are able to have a pistol in the vehicle as long as its not in plain sight. I keep a .40 cal with me at all times under my seat ready to go. In TX if stopped I would notifiy the officer I have a loaded weapon and its location, he would secure the weapon and remove the magazine, proccede to do whatever he was doing as nothing happened. After lets say a speeding ticket he would leave the firearm on the seat with the magazine next to it and im free to go. CAN I DRIVE AROUND LIKE THIS IN PA????

Also we have the castle law which gives us the right to use deady force on tresspassers that are on our property if they are stealing our personal property, or breaking into our home. It even covers using deadly force on a neighbors property if they are in danger or their property is being broken into. What are the rules regarding home safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM

955 posts, read 4,088,312 times
Yea, I think the laws in PA. are similar, but I'm sure there are others here who can answer your question in much more detail.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Ive been reading the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association website. Still a bit confused. Looks like I have to have a permit to have it conceled in my car. I really want answer to following questions:

Carrying a vehicle:
Do I need to have a permit to have the .40 under the seat loaded?

Home protection:
Do need to be aware of any laws for protecting my property/family

Concealed carry:
I assume I need to have a permit to carry a weapon hidden under my shirt?

Open carry:
From what I read, you can open carry a firearm in PA.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
PA is a relatively "good" state when it comes to weapons. I cannot speak to your specific questions ... but get a CCW if you're worried about carrying it.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Yes - you need to have your pistol permit to carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle. You are not allowed to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle at anytime.

If you don't have a permit, you must unload the pistol and separate it from the ammo in the vehicle.

You can open carry without a permit, but this is not all that practical unless you only travel on foot.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks guys for the info.... Im surprised to learn about the open carry, even TX we cant do that!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law

Note that you cannot open carry in the City of Philadelphia without a permit.

Also note that PA recognizes some permits (including TX) for open / concealed carry and in vehicles, so you would be OK if you had your Texas permit.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law

Also note that PA recognizes some permits (including TX) for open / concealed carry and in vehicles, so you would be OK if you had your Texas permit.

yay!!! thats the news I was looking for. I will be getting my CCW from TX so its good to able to have it in PA. Now all need to figure out if traveling with a firearm in the Uhaul across the country is legal. I would feel much safer having my firearm in the truck with me while driving nearly 1700miles.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztwenty4door View Post
yay!!! thats the news I was looking for. I will be getting my CCW from TX so its good to able to have it in PA. Now all need to figure out if traveling with a firearm in the Uhaul across the country is legal. I would feel much safer having my firearm in the truck with me while driving nearly 1700miles.
That is going to vary from state to state. Find a CCW reciprocity map to see which states your TX ccw will cover.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times
Quote:
I keep a .40 cal with me at all times under my seat ready to go. In TX if stopped I would notifiy the officer I have a loaded weapon and its location, he would secure the weapon and remove the magazine, proccede to do whatever he was doing as nothing happened. After lets say a speeding ticket he would leave the firearm on the seat with the magazine next to it and im free to go. CAN I DRIVE AROUND LIKE THIS IN PA????
That is VERY iffy territory in PA. You can "transport" a gun in a vehicle, but to have the gun in such a position might violate our concealed weapons laws.

I strongly advise that you get your concealed carry permit here. It gives you a lot of rights when carrying and you could do your little scenario no problem. PA is a "shall-issue state"; meaning that if you have nothing on your record barring you from getting it then they have to give it to you. It only costs like $20 and goes pretty quickly. You don't have to take any classes or bull**** like that. Because PA concealed carry permits are so easy to get, there aren't a lot of states that practise reciprocity with us from what I remember. Keep that in mind.

Quote:
Also we have the castle law which gives us the right to use deady force on tresspassers that are on our property if they are stealing our personal property, or breaking into our home. It even covers using deadly force on a neighbors property if they are in danger or their property is being broken into. What are the rules regarding home safety?
PA is much stricter on stuff like that. You are only allowed to use deadly force if you feel as if your life (or your family member's life) is in danger. If you blow someone away in PA you can easily get sued by the scumbag's relatives. I know a guy who got sued by an intruder he shot (stupid...but true).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania