Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Looking into a high def camera that matches your description and blowing into a machine in order to buy a bottle of fermented grape juice
LOL, when you put it that way, it's almost comical. You don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Maybe the new governor will be able to put a stop to this hilarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
But hey, it's sold in grocery stores now. One less thing for people to ***** about and claim that Pennsylvania is a miserable place because of.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,354,665 times
Okay, guys. I got to page six of this thread before I decided to skip to last page to add my 2 cents. I have lived in PA Delaware, Virginia, New Jersey. I have worked in PA and NY. Visited friends in NC, DC, FL, CA, MD. Bought wine , liquor, beer in all states mentioned. I have to say that PA alcohol system sucks big time in comparison to the aforementioned states. The alcohol consumer is getting the shaft in PA. I live in PA now but I get my beer, liquor, etc. from NJ when I visit. Much cheaper and better selection. No comparison really.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
I left Pa a few years ago to move to Arizona. Arizona has much more relaxed liquor laws. Alcoholic beverages of any sort are sold in many different stores, including walmart (although their selection and prices are terrible) and in many different quantities. you can even get your jack daniels, merlot and beer at the same gas station.

I like variety in beer, Pa's laws made that difficult. I do not like to drink at a bar for many reasons, I prefer to enjoy beer in my home.
Here we have several chains of large stores that specialize in wine, liquor and beer. they sell by the case to singles, and you can mix and match beer. They also have a huge assortment of wine and spirits.
I believe our prices are cheaper too. 750 ml bottles of smirnoff, jack daniels, jim beam, cuervo and familiar spirits retail from $9.99 to $15, depending on the store. A 6 pack of beer is generally about $5 to $6 for your typical coors, bud, etc.

I love yuengling, but can not get it here. So, it leads me to having to deal with Pa's strict laws when I visit. I have been turned away because I didn't have a PA ID, my Arizona ID wasn't acceptable. I have been grilled by management of restaurants to recite the information on my ID to get a beer. I have also had to fill out a card with my name, address, ID number and other various info to have a beer with dinner. State stores have turned me away as well. Just trying to enjoy a cold beer or wine I get treated like a common criminal. It is really frustrating.

I don't think there will be change in my life time, any politician looking to make alcohol more available would only be giving mud slinging fodder to their future competition. A state wide voter initiative would be the only way, and I'm not sure enough people care enough to pull it off.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,354,665 times
Here's my own comparison. In the Poconos, a case of Heinken is over 30 bucks. A couple places I go to in NJ, 24 bucks. A six of Heineken, 10 bucks-Poconos, 7.50- NJ. I am sure there are exceptions but NJ rocks!! Even when I lived in Delaware, folks from Philly always gave me cash to purchase beer, liquor for them. Makes sense to me.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Here's my own comparison. In the Poconos, a case of Heinken is over 30 bucks. A couple places I go to in NJ, 24 bucks. A six of Heineken, 10 bucks-Poconos, 7.50- NJ. I am sure there are exceptions but NJ rocks!! Even when I lived in Delaware, folks from Philly always gave me cash to purchase beer, liquor for them. Makes sense to me.
Yes, it does make you wonder if PA rules were relaxed, and prices dropped, would PA actually reap more due to the simple fact that less $ would be spent in other states by PA residents. My guess would be yes. Or, at least, the loss in revenue to PA would not be as significant because so many more PA residents would buy alcohol in PA and not DE/NJ.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Well if Tom Corbett is a man of his word, then the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is in for some Hell.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Well if Tom Corbett is a man of his word, then the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is in for some Hell.
turzia will be majority leader as well I believe

Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
I love all of the people complaining that it's a "blue state" that's run by the "unions" so what should you expect.

They must have forgotten that there have been several Republican Gubernatorial administrations and legislatures that have done absolutely nothing about it.

Furthermore, it's really really really not that big of a deal, especially with grocery stores like Wegmans beginning to sell beer, etc.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I love all of the people complaining that it's a "blue state" that's run by the "unions" so what should you expect.

They must have forgotten that there have been several Republican Gubernatorial administrations and legislatures that have done absolutely nothing about it.

Furthermore, it's really really really not that big of a deal, especially with grocery stores like Wegmans beginning to sell beer, etc.
But I'd rather it not just be the premium grocery stores like Wegman's or Giant Eagle Market District that get to sell alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania