Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 10:55 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,017 times

Advertisements

I remember years ago (when I was a young kid) I went on a little trip with some family and family-friends to this state park in Pennsylvania. I believe it was like in Central Pennsylvania or like north central near the NY/PA borderline. It was a beautiful state park and I remember at night time you can see the stars CLEARLY, as clear as day and I believe the state park is also known for it.

I really can't remember the name for the life of me but it was such a beautiful park and I really would love to make a trip there with a few friends of mine if I can remember exactly the place it was at.

Anyone might have an idea what I am talking about? Sorry for the vagueness, but thank you in advice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,094 times
Cherry Springs State Park.

Pennsylvania State Parks - Cherry Springs - PA DCNR

It is widely regarded as the darkest skies in the eastern US, and is only one of two international dark sky parks in the world.

Pennsylvania State Parks - Cherry Springs Dark Skies - PA DCNR

It is in some of the most remote country in the state, and its location makes it ideal for stargazing.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Johnny C, THANK YOU so much. You really saved me a headache. Cheers good sir.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,148 times
I didn't have to read the second post to realize it was definitely Cherry Springs SP you were remembering. It's a pretty cool place, even with only a pair of binoculars to look at the night sky.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM

It is Peeaye. When do you think its the best time to go?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,148 times
^ In the 2nd link above, look for Dark Sky Clock, or Clear Sky Chart.

They factor in the brightness, or darkness, of the moon, cloud cover, humidity and come up with the best times. Obviously if you can wait to make a go/no go decision a few days beforehand, because that is how far out the weather (humidity and night time cloud cover) can get predicted accurately. If you cannot do this on short notice, at least time it when the moon is throwing off the least amount of light.

I can verify that if you get there on a clear night, with optimal conditions -- no clouds, low humidity, etc. -- you'll see a full sky, unlike anything you'll ever see again in your lifetime.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,094 times
pictures of stars from cherry springs state park - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania