U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 PM

4 posts, read 64,134 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out what the best possible school district in or around Lancaster PA is for my 2 children - one will start Kindergarten this year. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,167,123 times
I have been told that Warwick and Manheim Township area the better school districts in the area.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:13 PM

221 posts, read 964,637 times
Default Schools

^
They are, but, really, all of the districts surrounding the city are fine.

Manheim Township and Hempfield- most $$$$ in tax base

Ephrata, Cocalico, Conestoga Valley, Donegal, Eastern Lancaster County, Elizabethtown, Manheim Central, Pequea Valley, Lampeter-Strasburg School Districts- these are all "good districts". I have subbed in most of them, and they are typical, suburban/rural schools. Kids are fine, conditions are fine- if I wanted my kids in public schools- this would be the place.

The School District of Lancaster is a CITY district. If you do not want your kids exposed to the ills of urban education- avoid this one. Personally, I enjoyed the flavor and challenge of the experience there, but you may not.

Check out each district for any special services your kids may need, sport/academic/social needs they may have. Also, there are multitudes of private schools in Lancaster County. But most of the public schools are fine. With the exception of the city, I would say they are all acceptable.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 64,134 times
Thank you both for your replies. Does anyone else have thoughts/comments?
Thank you.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 23,804 times
Lancaster City does have two very good parochial/private highschools, Lancaster Catholic and Lancaster Mennonite. Many who attend are not of those faiths. Of course there is tuition to consider, but sometimes it's worth it.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 PM

221 posts, read 964,637 times
^
Also, there's Lancaster Country Day School- another private institution.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:07 PM

84 posts, read 403,706 times
I student taught in the Lampeter Strasburg SD and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I also have a friend who still teaches there and he likes his job a lot. If we moved back to Lancaster now (with DS), I'd definitely move into the LSSD.

GraysMom

Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 61,126 times
I live in Lititz and grew up here. I graduated from Warwick. My kids attend Warwick...but somewhat under "protest" from me! Many people like Warwick but because of the way things are (or aren't) handled here, I became a homeschooling mom. My kids have special needs and getting acceptable services can be a real battle and nightmare, but of course, that is probably anywhere. I wouldn't personnally recommend Warwick to anyone and, frankly, we've been searching for housing elsewhere. Because I've just re-entered the job market, some of my children have had to return to public school and it is already become issue-ridden (and the school year doesn't even start till Sept. 6th!!!). So, I guess what I am saying is, if your kids are straight-across the board average, or if you are they type to concede total control of your child's education to administrative types who care more about how things look on paper than about people, then you would do fine with Warwick. I too agree that School District of Lancaster should be your last choice. The outlying districts are better. I've never heard anything but possitive stuff about Lancaster Country Day School if you have $$ for private education. There is also the Waldorf school in Marietta (depending on your childrens' ages) if you want a sort of funky/modern flower-child style education for your kids. Personally I liked them, but they turned out to be TOTALLY intolerant of learning differences and special needs and so don't waste your money if your kids aren't already on the gifted side. They kicked my 1st grader out in late April without warning or recourse. There is weak administration and the teachers have total say, so basically, since the teacher didn't like my daughter he had the power to just boot her out and wouldn't even communicate with me as to why -- VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Also heard good things about Lancaster Mennonite High School but their location on Lincoln Highway East is aweful (amid major congestion/strip malls/materialistic outlet shopping). I think if I were moving into the area for the first time I'd take the advice of the poster who recommended Elizabethtown, Donegal, Ephrata, Cocalico, Conestoga Valley, Donegal, Eastern Lancaster County (ELCO), Manheim Central, Pequea Valley, or Lampeter-Strasburg School Districts. I also agree that Manheim Township and Hempfield have the most $$ in tax base but Warwick can't be far behind. They've been on a building craze for years and I don't think they are consciencious stewards of the tax funding on which they draw. If we could all get back to smaller neighborhood-based schools, we could focus on true learning rather than feeding the administrative monster most large school districts have made of themselves. Good luck in your search. Hope you find the best situation for your family's needs and preferences. With enough research you likely will. garrie keyman, Lititz PA

Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,876 times
Default dont go to pv

pequea valley is prolly the worst school in pa. bugs infest the school rooms and in such a small area they can be very pesty. as far as the vice principal is concerned, he's the worst person you'll ever meet. he treats kids unfairly and uneqeal. if your kids play sports he will try to get them to not play.
pretty much never let your kids go to pequea valley.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,167,123 times
Manheim Township and E-Town have great school districts. Warwick is still good but I've heard alot of complaints lately about the kids that attend the high school. Lititz is a good place to live but try to avoid the Newport Square development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania