Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 16,056 times

Advertisements

Hi, Magritte25. I grew up going to Musser Park with my grandma, and I still take my children there to the 4th of July celebration. My husband and I bought our first house in Lancaster City over by F&M College (which is a beautiful area) about 20 years ago, but we have since moved to a smaller town in the county. I think I understand what you are asking.

Lancaster is a very nice city, IMO, that has a bit of a crime problem in certain areas. Many of the city neighborhoods are the kind where there are nice, owner-occupied homes interspersed with rented houses and large houses broken into apartments. The area surrounding Musser Park is one of those. Some renters are great, some are not.

I visit Lancaster City probably at least once a week for business or pleasure, sometimes at night, and I rarely feel concerned for my safety. Of course, I take all reasonable precautions, as it appears you did. I know many educated, professional people who choose to live in the City, although they could live almost anywhere else, and they just take the good with the bad. I think it's the same in almost any small city, really.

If you want to PM me other questions about Lancaster, I'll try to help you with answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereshecomes View Post
Hi, Magritte25. I grew up going to Musser Park with my grandma, and I still take my children there to the 4th of July celebration. My husband and I bought our first house in Lancaster City over by F&M College (which is a beautiful area) about 20 years ago, but we have since moved to a smaller town in the county. I think I understand what you are asking.

Lancaster is a very nice city, IMO, that has a bit of a crime problem in certain areas. Many of the city neighborhoods are the kind where there are nice, owner-occupied homes interspersed with rented houses and large houses broken into apartments. The area surrounding Musser Park is one of those. Some renters are great, some are not.

I visit Lancaster City probably at least once a week for business or pleasure, sometimes at night, and I rarely feel concerned for my safety. Of course, I take all reasonable precautions, as it appears you did. I know many educated, professional people who choose to live in the City, although they could live almost anywhere else, and they just take the good with the bad. I think it's the same in almost any small city, really.

If you want to PM me other questions about Lancaster, I'll try to help you with answers.

Thank you! I appreciate your answer. I guess, like other cities, Lancaster has it's share of good and bad. I guess my husband and I were so enchanted with the beauty of the city, we kind of were taken aback when that incident happened!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 782 times
I am hoping in the near future to live in or close to the city due to working in Leola PA which is a 40 minute drive to and fro on a good day. I am sick of the unfriendlness and romoteness of the country where I am...currently in Lebanon county. Are there any relativley safe and/or walkable areas in the downtown and immediately surrounding parts of the city? I was born and raised in the the "Itlalian " area of Brooklyn NY in the in the late 50s/60s and by and by parts were becoming so-so due to increasing crime/drugs...so I am not expecting utopia. I am open to buying a home or condo or even renting. Any feed back is appriciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
[LEFT]The Shoppes at 301 North Queen, featuring a Bon Appétit gourmet food shop and coffee bar that moved from 50 N. Queen St., opened Sept. 2 in the 2,000-square-foot first floor.
Upstairs, three upscale two-bedroom apartments, with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, are being leased for $1,000 to $1,500 per month.

Read more: Ecklin completes renovations on Queen St. building - Business

Quote:
[LEFT]Pour has opened at 114 N. Prince St., behind the Artisan's Gallery.
The restaurant and wine bar features a select food menu that includes appetizers such as cheese and cured meats. The menu will change seasonally, with most entrees in the $10 to $15 range. In addition to its wine selection, Pour has 10 beers on tap, complemented by about 40 different bottled beers.
Inside, there's seating for about 45, including at a 10-seat bar. There's also room for about 25 more outside, including on a small plaza.

Read more: Pour, wine bar and restaurant, opens in Lancaster city - Business
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania