Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Driving through Lancaster today, my husband and I were suitably impressed with the old homes, the beautiful city scenes, etc.

However, when we stopped at Mussen Park to let our kids play someone was nosing around our car, peeking in the windows. My husband walked towards the car and the guy ran away.

We are thoroughly confused about Lancaster's identity. It appears to be a very well kept, nice city with professionals of all ages living and working in the area. But then someone seemed to be trying to break into our car!

So what say you Harrisburg area residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 AM

74 posts, read 248,805 times
I'm a York area resident.... perhaps you saw the three shootings on the news?! Lancaster, Harrisburg and York all have crime.....

Glad PA issues concealed carry permits to law abiding citizens!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We are thoroughly confused about Lancaster's identity. It appears to be a very well kept, nice city with professionals of all ages living and working in the area. But then someone seemed to be trying to break into our car!
I don't mean to be rude or sarcastic, so please don't take my post that way. But just because a city has professionals or "looks nice" or "has an art scene" doesn't make it immune from crime. There are brothels in Etters, drug dealers in Camp Hill, and meth addicts in every picturesque small town across the country. Every single city on the planet has all of the above and worse. A well-maintained park doesn't offset the necessity of situational awareness and common sense.

I'm not saying Lancaster is a bad city. In fact, I'm saying the opposite -- these things will happen in any given city. Just don't let the nice parks lull you into thinking it's okay to leave your iPod in plain view on the front seat. Those days are long, long gone.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
Lancaster (city) has a large lower-income hispanic/latino population, much like Reading, Allentown, etc. Read into that however you want to.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I don't mean to be rude or sarcastic, so please don't take my post that way. But just because a city has professionals or "looks nice" or "has an art scene" doesn't make it immune from crime. There are brothels in Etters, drug dealers in Camp Hill, and meth addicts in every picturesque small town across the country. Every single city on the planet has all of the above and worse. A well-maintained park doesn't offset the necessity of situational awareness and common sense.

I'm not saying Lancaster is a bad city. In fact, I'm saying the opposite -- these things will happen in any given city. Just don't let the nice parks lull you into thinking it's okay to leave your iPod in plain view on the front seat. Those days are long, long gone.
We hardly left an expensive piece of electronics in plain view.

I didn't say a word about the park's condition.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Friends of mine who live in Lancaster advised me to look in the north eastern side of town. Some of the housing in the south eastern side I was advised not to bother going to see.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks lialleycat! What is the employment environment like in the area? My husband has an accounting degree.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We hardly left an expensive piece of electronics in plain view. I didn't say a word about the park's condition.
If you had, he probably wouldn't have stopped at looking in your car; he probably would have smashed, grabbed, and run.

You're surprised that a "nice city with professionals" can have a criminal element. If you're expecting a correlation between "nice appearance" and "low risk of crime", you might need a reality check -- a grounding, if you will -- before moving to any city or suburb. This sort of thing does happen.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
I don't know about the job environment, looking from out of state hasn't produced even a nibble in this economy. However, for locals it may be different. Accounting may also be different as well since it's one of the jobs doing a bit better in this economy.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
If you had, he probably wouldn't have stopped at looking in your car; he probably would have smashed, grabbed, and run.

You're surprised that a "nice city with professionals" can have a criminal element. If you're expecting a correlation between "nice appearance" and "low risk of crime", you might need a reality check -- a grounding, if you will -- before moving to any city or suburb. This sort of thing does happen.
I don't know what's with the attitude from you but you can check it, ok? I asked an innocuous question in what I perceived to be a vast disparity between the upkeep and general appearance of a city and the locals of said city.

If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, why are you posting? Bored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania