U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 19,423 times

Advertisements

Stay Away From Reading That City Is Full Full Of Crime....... Shillington Is Great, Wyomissing, Mohnton Is Very Quiet, Shoemakerville Is Nice And Quiet But They Got No Cops, Leesburg Is Also Beuatifull... But U Dont Wan The City
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 07:30 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,756,948 times
Hi All -

Pottstown is near Reading. How would that be as an option? I see that realtor.com lists housing prices all over the spectrum & it's only a 15-20 min drive to Reading, isn't it?

Just curious what you all think.

Thanks... VV

Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 14,678 times
Default crime in the suburbs?

I am also moving to the Reading area. I was told that Pottstown and Kutztown are too far to commute. Birdsboro, Morgantown, Cumru Township, Wyomissing, West Lawn are all nice with good schools. If you look at the statistics on this web site, it seems like there isn't much crime that spreads outside of the city into these areas. My big concern is that it may eventually happen as the population increases. Any thoughts?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:40 PM

6,529 posts, read 9,492,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgirl View Post
I am also moving to the Reading area. I was told that Pottstown and Kutztown are too far to commute. Birdsboro, Morgantown, Cumru Township, Wyomissing, West Lawn are all nice with good schools. If you look at the statistics on this web site, it seems like there isn't much crime that spreads outside of the city into these areas. My big concern is that it may eventually happen as the population increases. Any thoughts?
In terms of public schooling and just the general quality of life, a lot of Pottstown is lacking. Pottsgrove, Boyertown and Gilbertsville are all nice communities adjacent to Pottstown, so those would be another alternative. As far as Pottstown or the other aforementioned towns being too far from Reading to commute, I wouldn't say that at all. Route 422 is a straight shot from Pottstown to Reading, which, although parts of it can get congested during the morning and evening rush hours, is a very simple drive -- 30 minutes max.

Also, Reading and Pottstown, both being larger communities, have their share of gang and drug-related crime, but I wouldn't worry about some sort of "spill over." These are ages-old problems, and the more quiet, suburban communities such as Pottsgrove or Wyomissing have managed to maintain very safe atmospheres for quite some time now.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 13,909 times
Thumbs up dont go their

i say dont move their i live in pa and i am moveing to north carolina, now that should tell you something.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 32,878 times
So, I am hearing that Reading is not too good because of the crime and drug problem. I am interested in moving to the Blandon area. I see that Blandon is only about 10 miles outside of Reading, would that be a problem? I am hearing that rural Berks County is lovely, I don't mind rural so long as I can utilize get to shopping and there are decent schools.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM

164 posts, read 180,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mra68 View Post
(or recommend we avoid?)
Reading, PA and most of eastern PA. It's just an extension of the New Jersey, Killadelphia, Camden, Trenton Metropolis

Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM

6,529 posts, read 9,492,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Reading, PA and most of eastern PA. It's just an extension of the New Jersey, Killadelphia, Camden, Trenton Metropolis
You do know that this adds nothing substantive or informative to the forum. If you can't provide anything but insults based on generalizations -- like you constantly do -- then you frankly have no business posting anything at all. If you REALLY knew about the area, you'd know how diverse SEPA is.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM

460 posts, read 2,361,797 times
Reading is not good. Matter of fact no place close to Reading is very good.
Of course do not take anyone's word on here, DO your own homework!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 PM

164 posts, read 180,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You do know that this adds nothing substantive or informative to the forum. If you can't provide anything but insults based on generalizations -- like you constantly do -- then you frankly have no business posting anything at all. If you REALLY knew about the area, you'd know how diverse SEPA is.
I do know about the area, and I have alot of business posting here, DUDerino. They asked what Reading was like, I told them. What is the problem? You're making a generalization that I know nothing about the area. I was homeless in Reading for about 2 weeks when I first moved to PA. It's not fun having hispanic thugs chase you around Reading for 12 blocks, trying to mug me for a lousy $6. I eventually found my way to the Turnpike and took it west to the Harrisburg area. More thugs, but I had to settle for a crappy warehouse job. I had to carry a switchblade with me too for the first time in years. At least harrisburg crime and gangs are concentrated to a small area. So I stayed here. My car was also on it's last leg. Two weeks later, my 94 dodge intrepid blew a head gasket. Go figure.

Please stay off my case and quote me only if you have something to say about Reading. And don't tell me where I can and cannot post. I do not appreciate that. If you desire to be a moderator, go to mod school, but until then, you have no business to tell me where and where not to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky
Reading is not good. Matter of fact no place close to Reading is very good.
Yup, that was a bad experience.

Does anyone knw why Reading is such a pit for such a small city? I was baffled at how run down the city was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania