Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Vehicle inspections and mandatory insurance make the roads safer. End of story.
I agree!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
Cars should be made with the 3M coating used on our license plates.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM

392 posts, read 1,068,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
What is your occupation badguykc?
No offense Bob, but that is quite honestly none of your business. How is that relevant to this discussion?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 AM

392 posts, read 1,068,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I agree!!
I agree with the insurance part.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 AM

436 posts, read 954,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Cars should be made with the 3M coating used on our license plates.

My license plate has a couple of rust spots in it.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
No offense Bob, but that is quite honestly none of your business. How is that relevant to this discussion?
It's called the circle of life.

I do construction work. I get paid for my work. I go to the grocery store, I buy groceries, I pay them with cash. They go to the bank, they deposit my cash. They pay their employee's and the company for the groceries that I bought, the trucking company pays their employee's for delivering the groceries, each person deposits their paycheck and buys more groceries.

Now you want to drive a piece of junk car with no state inspection on the road. Even when a mechanic finds a problem, you do not want to pay the mechanic - because you feel they are all a bunch of thieves.
So you take your car home and you fix it yourself, or you find some sucker to work on it for next to nothing and then you bring it back and get your sticker.
You have just broken the circle of life.
Each person in the circle has to be paid in order for each person to be able to afford to eat. When one person cannot make a go of it anymore - then they have to either find another job or go on public assistance.
So you just took one more person off the payroll and onto the soup line.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
My license plate has a couple of rust spots in it.
Photo? Please prove it. How old is it?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:09 PM

199 posts, read 521,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Maybe it just has to do with cars getting older - most people still drive even if they can't buy a new(er) car. I think I heard somewhere that the cars on the road are older on average now than they've ever been.
I've heard that as well. I'm going to personally assume that it's because cars are being built with higher standards than they were a couple of decades ago. They're simply just lasting longer.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM

436 posts, read 954,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Photo? Please prove it. How old is it?
I'm not posting a photo of my license plate on the internets. Besides, I don't need to prove what I can see.

It's a 2001 plate.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I've heard that as well. I'm going to personally assume that it's because cars are being built with higher standards than they were a couple of decades ago. They're simply just lasting longer.
The license plate is made out of aluminum.

Aluminum does not rust - it oxidizes.

The bolts holding the license plate on is made out of Carbon Steel.
Carbon steel rusts.

Alloys such as stainless steel does not rust.
Remove your license plate - scrub it with steel wool and paint it with a clear coat and it will not rust.

Throw away the license plate screws and replace them with two stainless steel (1/4 -20 x 3/4) bolts and you will not have any more issues with corrosion.

That is about as good of a guess as I can give to you.

As far as vehicle corrosion goes, back in the 70's - the state used a high concentration of road salt to combat the icy conditions.
In the 90's when the El Nino weather took over - we did not have as many bad winters - hence the state did not put as much salt on the roads.

The manufacturers used better corrosion resistant metals and the vehicles tended to last longer.

In the 2000's when the state decided they were spending too much money on equipment, the decided it was cheaper to just treat the roads with brine water - calcium chloride. The gas companies here offered them as much brine water as they could use for free - from the gas well production side and Penndot refused - due to the fact that the brine water was no pure.
They said they could mix their own cheaper then using the by products of natural gas production.
The first systems they used put down so much calcium chloride that it literally ate the back half off the dump trucks that they used to treat the roads.

Since then - any winter when the weather gets bad - they apply as much brine water as they feel necessary to treat the roads, there by reducing the amount of wear and tear on the plows of the trucks.
They claim that it is cheaper to treat the roads then to plow them.
So they dump millions of gallons of brine water on the road - which eats your vehicle and turns it into a pile of rust.
So the state saves a couple of dollars and it costs the tax payers trillions of dollars in vehicle repairs due to the corrosion.

The more brine water they put down, the shorter the life of your brake components because the brine water attacks the brake rotors and eats them out - from the inside out. That is the reason why some new vehicles cannot get 3 years from a decent brake job - even though the pads are not yet worn out - the brake rotors cracks and acts like a little lathe and every time you apply your brakes - it shaves a little material off the pads. The rotors gets rusty and the rust ridge eats the brake pads.

That is the reason why we need to have a yearly state inspection - because some people uses all season tires and does not do their own mechanical work and does not know what the condition of their brake pads are in - until the brakes starts to make a squealing noise - which means that the brakes has worn to a unsafe level and needs to be replaced soon.

The manufacturers actually puts small tabs of metal which rubs against the rotors before the pads wears out - they are appropriately called Squealers - and their job is to warn you that there is a problem.

New brake rotors are much too thin to be resurfaced and even if you do resurface them - if they are cracked - they will consume a new pad in 1/2 the time of what their lifespan would be if you replaced the rotors when you replaced the pads. That - along with tire wear and suspension components that are no longer able to be lubricated is another reason why we need state inspections.

If left to the consumer / driver to do as they please, they will not replace anything until the vehicle becomes unsafe for the road.

Even such things as turn signal bulbs are often neglected for months at a time until someone forces the motorist to replace them.

If the state police pulled over a vehicle every time they spotted a faulty bulb and wrote the motorist a ticket - they would become very unpopular and the rate of hearings at the magistrate would flood the court system - because of the excuses why the bulb did not work.

This way here - for $25 or so dollars, the motorists gets a through inspection and a clean bill of health before the vehicle returns to the road.
The vehicles that does not pass - either does not get driven or the motorist has to invest some money into the vehicle to make it road worthy once again. Not a bad deal when you consider a dental hygienist cleaned my teeth the other day and charged me $65 for 15 minutes of work.

That is what i mean by the circle of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania