Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
Reputation: 304

Advertisements

Here is one reason why we have State Inspections once a year =
Police: Fatal Crash Could Have Been Prevented - WeAreCentralPA.com (http://wearecentralpa.com/wtaj-news-fulltext/?nxd_id=226006 - broken link)

Police: Fatal Crash Could Have Been Prevented


SHADE TOWNSHIP, SOMERSET COUNTY--- Bald tires are being blamed for a fatal crash that killed two young mothers and a toddler Sunday in Somerset County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Wherever I May Roam...
392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
It's called the circle of life.

I do construction work. I get paid for my work. I go to the grocery store, I buy groceries, I pay them with cash. They go to the bank, they deposit my cash. They pay their employee's and the company for the groceries that I bought, the trucking company pays their employee's for delivering the groceries, each person deposits their paycheck and buys more groceries.

Now you want to drive a piece of junk car with no state inspection on the road. Even when a mechanic finds a problem, you do not want to pay the mechanic - because you feel they are all a bunch of thieves.
So you take your car home and you fix it yourself, or you find some sucker to work on it for next to nothing and then you bring it back and get your sticker.
You have just broken the circle of life.
Each person in the circle has to be paid in order for each person to be able to afford to eat. When one person cannot make a go of it anymore - then they have to either find another job or go on public assistance.
So you just took one more person off the payroll and onto the soup line.
Thank you, sir, for proving to me and everyone else on here that you are just another know-it-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Reputation: 66884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Here is one reason why we have State Inspections once a year =
Police: Fatal Crash Could Have Been Prevented - WeAreCentralPA.com (http://wearecentralpa.com/wtaj-news-fulltext/?nxd_id=226006 - broken link)

Police: Fatal Crash Could Have Been Prevented


SHADE TOWNSHIP, SOMERSET COUNTY--- Bald tires are being blamed for a fatal crash that killed two young mothers and a toddler Sunday in Somerset County.
I'm sure this had nothing to do with their deaths:

Quote:
Miller said the two women were not wearing their seatbelts and the toddler was strapped in her car seat but it was not properly fastened in the van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
Reputation: 304
Tell it to the survivors.

Why isn't mommy coming home?

Because she wasn't wearing her seat belt? NO
Because her tire blew out and her Dodge Caravan was illegally inspected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Reputation: 66884
Don't be obtuse. Anyone's tire can blow out at any time, even if the car was properly inspected yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Reputation: 60911
Having grown up in PA with inspections and then moving to MD where there are none, I much prefer PA. You wouldn't believe some of the crap on the roads down here. I don't mean body rust but brakes that are down to the rivets, bald tires, no exhaust, etc. Don't believe the myth that everyone in MD drives a BMW or Lexus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Wherever I May Roam...
392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't be obtuse. Anyone's tire can blow out at any time, even if the car was properly inspected yesterday.
Agreed. Bob is just looking for someone to stroke his massive ego. Remember, he knows EVERYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 AM
 
Location: Wherever I May Roam...
392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't believe the myth that everyone in MD drives a BMW or Lexus.
I don't, seeing as how I've been to parts of Maryland that are populated by nobody but poverty-stricken rednecks for a 15-mile radius...or more. No offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,765 times
Reputation: 10
i am a pa state safty inspection mechanic, nothing will slip threw my tough pa inspection. for more then one reason one when i put a sticker on a car/truck i am saying it is solid and is safe for people to drive/ride in. if that car/truck isnt safe it can injure people or even kill them. and even on top of that it is my inspection license i use to make a living so if i lose it because your car isnt worthy of the road i can lose my bussiness money and other thing so dont take it out on the mechanic. because i check each one of my trucks once a month to make sure everything is safe on it and working for my wife kids and myself. so for the people who only get it inspected once a year and nothing the rest of the year it is better it is tough to get a sticker on there car/truck so it stays safe untill the next service it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM
 
16 posts, read 93,876 times
Reputation: 10
Wink Pennsylvania Inspetion and Emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
The other day, I saw a car pull out of a local garage with rust from top to bottom, bald tires, and an exhaust system that could wake Jimmy Hoffa. Said vehicle was also bearing brand-new inspection AND emissions stickers which will carry them through until November 2011. Can you say "LICK-'EM-AND-STICK-'EM"?

However, I hear many stories from Pennsylvanians who have not fared so well. Many people in this state are living on fixed incomes, and cannot afford to replace entire exhaust systems, or brake lines with just a SMIDGE of rust; altogether buy a new vehicle. Hell, I went with a friend who got his car inspected once, and he was failed. Why? Chipped paint and a small dent on his fender. Nothing else wrong with the car.

My opinion? Just do away with inspections altogether. I would also do what Ohio does with Cleveland and limit emissions to just the Greater Philadelphia area and MAYBE Pittsburgh. I really don't see the need for places like Erie or State College to do emissions, as they are just tourist/college towns and don't see the daily traffic volume that the two larger cities do. Anyone agree?
That chipp and dent is a lie... you can only fail inpection test if there is rust holes that let gas fumes enter the car... thats for body inspection. List of ways to fail in inspection: uneven tread or not enough tred patterns on tires, crack on windshield only on the acute area of windshield where you look out. Brakes, suspension, lights, doors,seat belts, and pullutants that can harm you or the air you breath outside. This only makes sense cause its for our safety! Not like Michigan where they dont inspect vehicles,and trust me I've seen wheels fly out of cars with bad ball joints in Michigan. Cars with no hood and bumpers and many more. Even driving with broken or NO MIRRORS! Safety Should Be First Thing! Thats why next year i wont trick my state of PENNSYLVANIA anymore by getting my car inspected by people who just (like you said) "LICK 'EM AND STICK'EM"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top