Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:58 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times

Advertisements

I actually don't mind the annual safety inspections in Pennsylvania. They force people to take care of their cars in exchange for the privilege of driving them. Georgia doesn't have any annual inspections, and there are lots of cars that don't even belong on the road. The condition of the average car in Pennsylvania is far superior to the condition of the average car in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,164,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I actually don't mind the annual safety inspections in Pennsylvania. They force people to take care of their cars in exchange for the privilege of driving them. Georgia doesn't have any annual inspections, and there are lots of cars that don't even belong on the road. The condition of the average car in Pennsylvania is far superior to the condition of the average car in Georgia.
I agree with you completely about what inspections do. Having a car isn't a right and you shouldn't have one if you can't afford to keep it from being a safety issue for you or others on the roads. I've noticed that in most states without inspections, the cars on their roads look like they are in very bad shape and are just abandoned on the road compared to cars once I get back in Pennsylvania. I hardly ever see cars laying on the side of the highway in the commonwealth compared to Ohio, Michigan, etc.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree with you completely about what inspections do. Having a car isn't a right and you shouldn't have one if you can't afford to keep it from being a safety issue for you or others on the roads. I've noticed that in most states without inspections, the cars on their roads look like they are in very bad shape and are just abandoned on the road compared to cars once I get back in Pennsylvania. I hardly ever see cars laying on the side of the highway in the commonwealth compared to Ohio, Michigan, etc.
Likewise.

Drive around the Athens Perimeter in Georgia at any given time, and you'll see at least three dead cars abandoned on the shoulder of the highway.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,164,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Likewise.

Drive around the Athens Perimeter in Georgia at any given time, and you'll see at least three dead cars abandoned on the shoulder of the highway.
Maybe there's also a fine if you abandon your car on the side of the road here too?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,974,141 times
I'm very happy to know that the someone has looked at the brakes, steering and suspension of all other other cars driving around me in Pennsylvania. Getting your car inspected at least every year just makes sense both personally and collectively. Driving is one of the most dangerous things that you can do in life and it makes me much happier knowing that my car is as safe as it can be and the other cars driving on the same roads are too. I'm willing to pay the $70 a years (and sometimes more) just to know that if I stop short to avoid an accident that both my car and the car behind me will actually stop in time.

That said, my Honda's sticker runs out on the 30th and I haven't made an appointment with my mechanic yet. Got to remember to do that Monday morning.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 204,427 times
But why are there no inspections in Ohio but there are in PA? Does that make PA better than Ohio. Are there more accidents per unit capita from car defects that would have been prevented by inspection in Ohio than pa?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,835,829 times
The joke in PA is not the annual inspection, but the emissions inspection....its just another tax that does not do anything to make cars safer. From what I have heard, all they do is test the gas cap. For much less than the tax...er, I mean price...of the emissions inspection, I can just a buy a new gas cap.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
As a former Police Officer in Pennsylvania who lives out west now I have to disagree. Every day I see absolute death traps passing me on the highway doing 85-90 mph. Cars that would not be street legal in PA and certainly would not pass inspection, and don't even ask about headlights shining into the sky.
There have always been Lick'em and Stick'em shops but the only alternatives would be State employees like New Jersey and Delaware.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm very happy to know that the someone has looked at the brakes, steering and suspension of all other other cars driving around me in Pennsylvania. Getting your car inspected at least every year just makes sense both personally and collectively.
My little Mazda was inspected in August. All it needed was a brake lamp; the mechanic indicated my brakes are in top condition (I should hope so; they were replaced the year before that).

Last week I went to stop at a light ... the pedal went down to the floor and the car didn't stop. Bad rotors.

how did having my car inspected prevent my brakes from failing? What good did inspection do me, and what good would it have done any of the cars that were in front of me (thank goodness there weren't any!)?

Points to ponder. Inspection is not a cureall for mechanical failure or lax maintenance, nor does it necessarily or automatically get dangerous cars off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweller View Post
But why are there no inspections in Ohio but there are in PA? Does that make PA better than Ohio. Are there more accidents per unit capita from car defects that would have been prevented by inspection in Ohio than pa?
I can't speak to other states because I've only lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania. When I first moved to Ohio in 1977, there was a huge difference, most notably with body rust and exhaust systems. With improvements in body and parts materials, and exhaust testing in the metro areas, that difference has narrowed to little or nothing.

Oh, and yesterday a pickup passed me, muffler (or lack thereof) blaring away. Lotta good inspection has done there.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,835,829 times
Do those "fart cans" that kids and d-bags put on economy cars like Civics, Neons, and Cavaliers to try and make them sound like some kind of "muscle car" pass inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania