Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My little Mazda was inspected in August. All it needed was a brake lamp; the mechanic indicated my brakes are in top condition (I should hope so; they were replaced the year before that).

Last week I went to stop at a light ... the pedal went down to the floor and the car didn't stop. Bad rotors.

how did having my car inspected prevent my brakes from failing? What good did inspection do me, and what good would it have done any of the cars that were in front of me (thank goodness there weren't any!)?
Well, couple things here. Having your car inspected in August (5-6 months ago) is an indicator of, well, not much at this point, this is true. The timing is thus arbitrary, which is the real issue. Almost anything can break within a year on an old enough car that's driven enough. I'm really on the fence as to whether this means we should dump it altogether or not.

The thing that strikes me most though: your rotors didn't likely wear out in 5-6 months if someone was right about them being in top condition. Even if the pads were really new and the rotors were really rough (a stupid setup, nobody would let you out of the shop with you getting new pads and not resurfacing or replacing the rotors), this isn't very likely unless you drove an extreme amount (say, over 10k miles in the last 5-6 months?) And even then, this is not what caused the pedal issue you describe. Something else was the cause there, something in the hydraulic system rather than the physical part which is what the rotor is. The pads wearing down do need to be replaced by fluid in the hydraulic system, so it's possible it went low on fluid and caused that problem. Thus you could say the pedal problem was caused indirectly by the pads wearing down. But somewhere along the line something is wrong: either your brakes were FAR from top condition 5-6 months ago, or your rotors were NOT bad last week.

Was it the same shop both times? I would not go back there. If it was a different shop, I would be suspicious of the most recent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
My opinion? Just do away with inspections altogether. I would also do what Ohio does with Cleveland and limit emissions to just the Greater Philadelphia area and MAYBE Pittsburgh. I really don't see the need for places like Erie or State College to do emissions,
This is what used to be done....emissions testing was restricted to Philly and Pittsburgh metros and that was it. Then Fast Eddie Rendell, who never met a tax he didn't like, expanded it to places like Scranton, Erie, Williamsport, etc, and not just the cities, but the entire counties. These counties are still mostly rural and not crowded...but the expanded emissions testing (which in these areas just consists of a test of the gas cap) was just a veiled tax increase.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Georgia does not have mandatory vehicle inspections, and I see more dead cars at the side of the road, and more cars being driven around that are obvious safety hazards, than I've ever seen in Pennsylvania. I don't have a problem with mandatory car inspections because they force you to take care of your car in exchange for the privilege of driving. (No, driving is not a right, so mandatory car inspections do not infringe upon anybody's rights.)

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
The other day, I saw a car pull out of a local garage with rust from top to bottom, bald tires, and an exhaust system that could wake Jimmy Hoffa. Said vehicle was also bearing brand-new inspection AND emissions stickers which will carry them through until November 2011. Can you say "LICK-'EM-AND-STICK-'EM"?

However, I hear many stories from Pennsylvanians who have not fared so well. Many people in this state are living on fixed incomes, and cannot afford to replace entire exhaust systems, or brake lines with just a SMIDGE of rust; altogether buy a new vehicle. Hell, I went with a friend who got his car inspected once, and he was failed. Why? Chipped paint and a small dent on his fender. Nothing else wrong with the car.

My opinion? Just do away with inspections altogether. I would also do what Ohio does with Cleveland and limit emissions to just the Greater Philadelphia area and MAYBE Pittsburgh. I really don't see the need for places like Erie or State College to do emissions, as they are just tourist/college towns and don't see the daily traffic volume that the two larger cities do. Anyone agree?
There are "lick-em and stick-em" techs out there. I would say PA has some of the most ridgid standards. Some of the vehicles I've seen on the road down south I don't wanna be near at 70mph! I agree with you on the emissions thing

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Okay, I have a stupid question. I have this old car(over 21 yrs old) that is going to require work for it to pass inspection by the end of Mar. 2012. Finances won't be able to make this happen in this time frame. Will I have to give up my tags if I don't pass inspection before it expires? What are my options? I am still paying insurance on it and I eventually will be able to repair. Maybe in April. Any response is appreciated.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Okay, I have a stupid question. I have this old car(over 21 yrs old) that is going to require work for it to pass inspection by the end of Mar. 2012. Finances won't be able to make this happen in this time frame. Will I have to give up my tags if I don't pass inspection before it expires? What are my options? I am still paying insurance on it and I eventually will be able to repair. Maybe in April. Any response is appreciated.
Just don't get caught driving it after the inspection expires; you'll likely get a ticket. Other than that, everything is the same. Tag renewal is separate and can be done before inspection, so as long as you send the state 36 bucks, you'll receive a sticker for the plate and thus have a renewed tag. If you can get by without driving it during that time, you could cancel the insurance too and save a couple bucks, although if you really think you can fix it in April then that might not be worth the hassle. If you're going to drive it with the expired inspection sticker, you have to be aware of the risk, though. The risk is a ticket, $100-150, something like that. Also don't park anywhere where they give out parking tickets; sometimes the traffic enforcement guys will give out a ticket for that while you're parked because it's easy money....

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Okay, I have a stupid question. I have this old car(over 21 yrs old) that is going to require work for it to pass inspection by the end of Mar. 2012. Finances won't be able to make this happen in this time frame. Will I have to give up my tags if I don't pass inspection before it expires? What are my options?
I would do the following:

1) Renew your registration.
2) Get the car inspected.
3) Keep the receipt from the inspection in the car with you at all times. Ask your mechanic for a list of all the required repairs, and carry that with you, too. If a cop pulls you over, show him/her that the car has been inspected, and plead that repairs are in progress.
4) Don't park on the street if you can help it.
5) Make the repairs ASAP, within a few weeks. Carry all your receipts with you.

If you can't make the repairs by the end of April, though, I'd consider taking the car off the road.

Or ... and this is most risky ... You could tell the cop you just moved back after living out of state for a few months (this won't work if you have a driver's license renewed within that time frame). Legally, upon re-entering the state with an expired registration you have 10 days to get the car inspected. Even dumb cops know you can't always get your car into the shop within 10 days.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
In PA, registration is tied to proof of insurance, not to inspection. You have to surrender the tags if you let the insurance lapse. Expired inspection is only an issue if you want to drive the car, or park it on public streets. If you don't take the car in for inspection, there's no proof that it won't pass.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
You have to surrender the tags if you let the insurance lapse.
Like that ever actually happens or is really that enforceable....

They do check your insurance card when you get the inspection, though, but I don't know that they verify it's truly valid. I can get a whole year policy and stop paying after a month yet retain an insurance card that's valid for the whole year, and do they really check that? Doubt it.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Default Thanks everyone

I already paid early this week for the registration I should have that sometime next week. Next month I will do what I have to do to get it fixed either by the end of the month or early April. Again, thanks for the game plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania