Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:34 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times

Advertisements

Our very own crusader for a less volatile political system in Scranton, Daniel (WeLuvPA) was just interviewed on WNEP-TV (Channel 16) for their story "Council Chaos." Congratulations on quite possibly being the only one interviewed on WNEP to show any sort of class or integrity. I hope you were amongst the "lucky few" who were permitted entry to council chambers this evening; I'll be watching for you later on Channel 61.

For those of you who haven't yet heard about the political "shenanigans" occurring in Scranton, here's a little timeline:

Thursday evening, 3/15: Council meeting called to order at 6:30 PM. Just after 9:30, resident Ray Lyman approaches the podium for his second three-minute comment session. After his allotted time has expired, he refuses to leave the podium, even challenging council to have him arrested. Faced with a volatile situation, President Judy Gatelli motions for an early adjournment that is seconded by who I believe was Sherry N. Fanucci. Residents who had wanted to speak after Mr. Lyman were unable to do so, and councilwoman Janet Evans tried to portray herself as being a "woman of the people" by staying seated for a lengthy period of time afterwards as if to say "See, Scranton, I didn't leave you out to dry like the Doherty Three did." (in reference to the three members of council who pledge allegiance to Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty, a visionary whose popularity has begun to wane since his very costly financial blunders have been discovered).

Thursday afternoon, 3/22: City council president Judy Gatelli cancels the weekly council meeting scheduled for 6:30 PM due to perceived "threats" against her from residents on a popular internet message board(http://www.dohertydeceit.com was implied yet not directly-referenced). Joe Pilchesky, manager of that web site denies any wrong-doing, and my own research into his boards found nothing of merit other than juvenile banter about Doherty's apparent closet-homosexuality (comments which I've found to be offensive) and Ms. Fanucci's (Fattuci as they call her) apparent struggles with obesity (even though most of them are probably losing the "battle of the bulge" as well) Public outrage builds over this decision throughout the upcoming week.

Friday, 3/23: The general public learns that President Gatelli has ordered that Channel 61's cameras be removed from city hall to prevent future council meetings from being televised. She also presses Mayor Doherty to enact stricter security measures due to the perceived threats against her, which include residents only being allowed into the building via the rear door, being searched with metal detecting wands, only being allowed to use the elevator to the second-floor city council chambers, and only permitting 45 residents to attend. The Scranton Times-Tribune's letters to the editor start to express residents' disgust with their inept and secretive government.

Monday-Wednesday, 3/26-3/28: Others begin to speak out about the political brou-ha-has, including Austin Burke, president of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce, who comes to the defense of president Gatelli. He claims that by televising these meetings, he's been having a difficult time in luring prospective new employers into the city. He even said that a few opted against Scranton based solely upon the sour political environment that has now enveloped the Electric City. This prompted jeers from people on DohertyDeceit, who claim that a man who lives in Archbald (Burke) shouldn't get involved in Scranton politics, as well as pointing to his faulty track record of luring in new employers, even when the political climate was on less shaky ground. The Scranton Times-Tribune continued to publish more letters to the editor from frustrated city residents. I e-mailed my own submission on Tuesday evening, and I'm still awaiting for it to be published. My last submission back in January was quite controversial and thought-provoking, and I hope this one will be as well.

Thursday, 3/29: A crowd of nearly 200 residents lines up outside of city hall in a quest for answers, even though only the first 45 will be permitted to enter. WNEP-TV (Channel 16) interviews a plethora of city activists/officials, including WeLuvPA (Daniel), Ray Lyman (who has a following on YouTube), Mayor Doherty, and president Gatelli, among others. The head of Scranton Today, which broadcasts the city council meetings on Channel 61, is speaking out about these incidents as we speak. During WNEP's live newscasts from 5-6 PM, outraged city residents are lined up along the street, along with "Legion of Doom" members who proudly display anti-Gatelli signs to show their disgust to viewers at home. I'm sitting here in our home office right now waiting for tonight's council meeting to begin airing at 7:30 PM on a one-hour time delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 PM

937 posts, read 2,878,043 times
I was watching the news about all the nonsense going on there. I really think the commissioners in every state and town in the USA need to listen to the people that live in these communites. I really am so tired of all the junk that goes on at these meetings. It happens everywhere.
The removal of the cameras was such a joke.

I am going to watch the news tonight to see the big interview with WeLuvPa.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
Default ray lyman

I think Ray Lyman has coal mining mentality

www.raylyman.com (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania