Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:31 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,762,445 times

Advertisements

Ok, how many of us are fed up with a new poster showing up here and complaining about how rude everyone in Pa. is?? Not only Pa., but these people sometimes have a long list of other states that they have lived in and they were all rude too.
Why do people post here if they hate Pa.?
Would anyone listen to someone who hated an entire state?
Do they think for one minute that MAYBE IT's ME????
Most people come to this forum looking for help about a new area they are moving to, I honestly hope they don't listen to a word of these 'I hate Pa' people.
These people have bad neighbors, bad bosses, bad jobs, bad lives..and never stop to think that they are the cause of all their misery.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
DONNA'S BACK!!!! YAAAAYYYY!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM

5 posts, read 28,269 times
I am leaving nj 08 I got your message I know where St Thomas More is but how far is the ms and hs from the hideout???

Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 AM

5 posts, read 28,269 times
Default little more info

I know where St Thomas More church is but how far is the MS and Hs from the Hideout?? Not familiar with the name of that town.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,456 times
I LOVE PA, I so totally agree with you (and I also love PA). I usually don't pay any attention to those "naysayers" but Forest Drive really got under my skin the other day. I think everyone knows and understands the "issues" that people have that cause them to make these comments, and I don't think most people pay any attention to what they say. As someone else pointed out in one of those threads, many of them are grammatically horrendous and I actually find myself laughing at most of them. If they could only see themselves through the eyes of others...

Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM

22 posts, read 86,783 times
Default My Experiences with PA

I LOVE PA!, I am one of those "PA haters" you posted about. However, before I get into the "meat and potatoes" of what I have to say here, let me point something out here. I have been to plenty of other states in this country of ours, and my experiences have mostly been great. For the most part, the people have been great, save for a few jerks here and there. But that's anywhere you go.

From my experiences living here, I have a very poor opinion of PA and the majority of its people currently living here. I'm not going to go into much detail here, but if you want the full story, go check what I wrote on the "Is PA depressing?" thread. I'm just going to give a brief summary of my position here.

Firstly, PA has shown a staunch and even irrational resistance to change. Pittsburgh's dismal economic situation as a result of the collapse of the steel industry approximately 25 years ago is a prime example of that. Pittsburgh waited way too long to resurrect the steel industry when they should've just realized what happened, cut their losses, and moved on right when it happened. They could've dug themselves out of the hole in about a decade, give or take.

Plus, the people that live here for the most part seem to have a chip on their shoulder as a result of economic depression and reinforcing many of society's negative stereotypes i.e. country people who act like hillbillies, industrial laborers who like to get wasted and start barfights, senior citizens who totally hate and refuse to get with modern times and constantly pine for the 1950's, among other things.

So, I just wanted to add my .02 and point out that although I don't care for PA much, I'm not your typical "PA hater".

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,762,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
I LOVE PA!, I am one of those "PA haters" you posted about. However, before I get into the "meat and potatoes" of what I have to say here, let me point something out here. I have been to plenty of other states in this country of ours, and my experiences have mostly been great. For the most part, the people have been great, save for a few jerks here and there. But that's anywhere you go.

From my experiences living here, I have a very poor opinion of PA and the majority of its people currently living here. I'm not going to go into much detail here, but if you want the full story, go check what I wrote on the "Is PA depressing?" thread. I'm just going to give a brief summary of my position here.

Firstly, PA has shown a staunch and even irrational resistance to change. Pittsburgh's dismal economic situation as a result of the collapse of the steel industry approximately 25 years ago is a prime example of that. Pittsburgh waited way too long to resurrect the steel industry when they should've just realized what happened, cut their losses, and moved on right when it happened. They could've dug themselves out of the hole in about a decade, give or take.

Plus, the people that live here for the most part seem to have a chip on their shoulder as a result of economic depression and reinforcing many of society's negative stereotypes i.e. country people who act like hillbillies, industrial laborers who like to get wasted and start barfights, senior citizens who totally hate and refuse to get with modern times and constantly pine for the 1950's, among other things.

So, I just wanted to add my .02 and point out that although I don't care for PA much, I'm not your typical "PA hater".

I just don't understand how you think hating an entire state is in ANY way at all rational! You try to justify yourself, but all I'm hearing is "THis person has lumped 100's of 1,000's of people in one category simply because of its geographic boundaries. You might not realize it (obviously you don't) but it speaks volumes about your own mentality.

Yes,,Forest Drive, one of the reasons I took a sybatical from this forum. These kind of people should just GO AWAY. Nothing they have to post is remotely interesting or helpful to anyone. Just look back their posts...nowhere do they offer anything constructive to anyone.

And YES, Paul...I'm Back! Such is life....I was always reading....

Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,717 times
Ummmm, what city are you living in brother.

LOL - SEPTA, come on. Have you ever tried to get change from one of those SEPTA attendants, the ones who do not give change, their job is to simply sit there. You're lucky you get a syllable response. You're lucky if they even acknowledge you.

And again on SEPTA, riding SEPTA - how many times have I had to listen to someone go on & on & on on their cell phone, retelling the entire evening to her friend and the train. As soon as you ask them to lower their voices, they either ignore you and talk louder or you get a, "OH NO YOU DIDNT...". And then you have to back pedal to keep a fight from occurring.

Veterans stadium had a magistrate under it and holding cells. They'd lock you up right at the game; a magistrate would set your bail. A jail at a football stadium wasnt because we're a nice bunch here philly, I think that in itself, speaks volumes of our city.

Speaking of games, when was the last time you been to an Eagles or Phillies game? San Fransico Giants came through the other night and philly fans boo'd Bonds well into the 8th inning, all night. That's very rude, there's no sportsmanship here. There is no professional courtesy. Wear a Dallas jersey to an Eagles game and see how nice the philly kids are. Christ, philly fans boo'd poor ol'McNabb when the boy broke his ankle.

I'll pull the fearless leader of philadelphia in, mayor street. I was in attendance of a charter school graduation and mayor street was listed as a guest speaker. He was late, arriving at the end of ceremony, the ceremony continued and the kids were getting their diplomas, they had worked their way down to the "R"s and street arrives. All the kids had to return to their seats, just a big mess. Tacky too. Not to mention, rude. And he's supposed to be the role model for these kids.

On the surface, Philly is just like every other city. But right under the surface, there's an undertow of stress, angyst, class struggle, edginess which I believe manufests itself in many ways, rudeness being one. Philadelphia indeed has its own culture.

Last edited by mossomo; 07-10-2007 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM

221 posts, read 993,921 times
LOL Having lived in other areas, Philly fans have the reputation for being the worst in sports. Does not mean everyone is horrible in the area- they a quite a passionate group, though!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,500 times
I LOVE PA too! I love the history here, I love the hills and the mountains. Sure, there's problems with different areas, but you can't paint the entire state with that same black brush.

I'm not a 'city' person, so I cannot say that I LOVE any city.

Pittsburgh has a wonderful history in the beginnings and formation of our nation. Yes, there have been problems. But, the city is growing, is well into the 21st century, with a pride in it's past. Sure, there's problems, as any city has problems. And what's so bad with the hillbilly attitude?? I'd take that downhome attitude anyday over rudeness and hate.

It's up to the individual how they act/react in life to change. Do you go about the day with a smile on your face and a welcome in your heart? Or do you go about with a scowl and a go away attitude? It's up to the individual.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania