Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnmastr85 View Post
Sure there are stark contrasts if you value the "city life" and all the things it brings. Social activities? Most of our social activities are online and we don't much care for bars or clubs. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a grocery store or 2 in the city. And neither of us have to worry ourselves with the ordeals of dating and the baggage it brings.

It seems this thread is attracting some adolescents that resent a childhood in a smaller city. Yes, thats an assumption, much like those directed towards me
That is scary. Nevermind what I said. You will love Brookville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 PM

100 posts, read 297,135 times
Why is it scary? Most of our friends and family have moved and we all get together for video chats. We do the best we can. I guess the area is inhabited by techno-phobes as well, huh?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 40,429 times
Guys, this is ridiculous. I live in the area and am well aware of the challenges that one faces living here; and all I have to say is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've lived in 2 foreign countries and have suffered though a lot more culture shock than anything someone would go through moving from one side of PA to the other. Also, as far as commute times go, I've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh and Buffalo and know for a fact that I could be sitting in a traffic jam for an hour to go the equivalent of 5 miles to reach a suburban shopping destination. Commuting is necessary no matter if you live in an urban area or a rural one. The United States is a very auto-dependent nation and thus we're all ok with having to drive 1/2 an hour to get to the closest suburban retail centers. My point again, being that life is what you make of it...no matter where you live. It'll take some slight adjustments to get used to the slower pace of life, thats for sure... but it's definitely not impossible.

Also, I just found these videos that may be interesting to you dragnmastr85 - I'll admit, they're a little hokey, but they do a nice job as an introduction to the region. (It's a link to videos, I promise) haha

ell_vp6_brain

Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn2011 View Post
Guys, this is ridiculous. I live in the area and am well aware of the challenges that one faces living here; and all I have to say is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've lived in 2 foreign countries and have suffered though a lot more culture shock than anything someone would go through moving from one side of PA to the other. Also, as far as commute times go, I've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh and Buffalo and know for a fact that I could be sitting in a traffic jam for an hour to go the equivalent of 5 miles to reach a suburban shopping destination. Commuting is necessary no matter if you live in an urban area or a rural one. The United States is a very auto-dependent nation and thus we're all ok with having to drive 1/2 an hour to get to the closest suburban retail centers. My point again, being that life is what you make of it...no matter where you live. It'll take some slight adjustments to get used to the slower pace of life, thats for sure... but it's definitely not impossible.

Also, I just found these videos that may be interesting to you dragnmastr85 - I'll admit, they're a little hokey, but they do a nice job as an introduction to the region. (It's a link to videos, I promise) haha

ell_vp6_brain

I have to concur here. While I don't live there any longer (am looking for a 2nd home, though) all the whining about having to drive somewhere is sorta strange. That's a fact of life in the area. I remember when the first McDonald's in the area opened in DuBois about 1971, it was an attraction and a change from all the mom and pop diners like Wes King's American Hotel Restaurant on Main Street in Brookville, or Hilton's Diner across the street or Clark's down by the Y. At about the same time the Exit 13 interchange started to get built up and Wes built what is now Plyler's (which was originally in the building up the road where Jack's Boot Shop is now). The TSA was brand new, Dan Smith still owned his ice cream store on Mabon St. as well as his candy factory off Main on Barnett. The old northside High School was still standing (and some people were still pissed off about the new one outside of town on Rte.36 that opened in 1964 or so) and Longview Elementary had just closed.

Clarion is 20 minutes from Brookville, DuBois 25. Not a long drive. My dad drove nearly an hour when I was little, from Smethport to Farmer's Valley to the Quaker State refinery, along with having to go to Warren once or twice a month with his milk testing reports for the PA Ag Dept.

The Columbia Theater in Brookville closed about 1972 and we went to Clarion to the two theaters there. Or to DuBois. Driving up there is something that's done as a normal thing. Besides, with the internet you can order just about anything to come to your door.

There are two groceries in Brookville, Mike's Market on Taylor St. and the Giant Eagle (Bi-Lo/Riverside) on South White St. I liked Mike's better. Clarion has a Super Wal-Mart with groceries and a Comet wholesale grocery. The Bi-Lo closed last spring and hasn't found a buyer for the building as of a couple weeks ago when I was last up there.

You'll enjoy Brookville most likely. having a job makes things easier (which is why I'm down here).

Last edited by North Beach Person; 12-03-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,516 times
Default wrasslin'

If you're from Bethlehem, you might be a college (Lehigh) or high school wrestling fan..... Brookville has a pretty decent tradition of high school wrestling if I recall correctly.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 AM

100 posts, read 297,135 times
I may be opening myself to flames here but I grew up in Bethlehem and didn't participate in sports much. I was a band geek. We had some band members that played soccer or football that also participated in marching band. It was funny when they complained to their coaches about how the drills wore them out more than their sport practice haha.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
People bemoan loss of coal, steel and lumber industry that built Pennsylvania. Now we have people who want to move back in and revitalize the area and everyone is telling him not to. So how is PA going to come back then? Oil was first discovered in PA and I am glad we are getting back in.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnmastr85 View Post
I have been given a job offer with Schlumberger (an oilwell services company) and they would be relocating me to the Brookville area. I was wonder what areas would be best to move to. I live in Bethlehem PA now. It is a pretty urban area and I know of nothing else. I have never lived in a smaller city. Are there any nearby cities that would be better? Thanks for any info you can offer.
Back to this ^ please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Back to this ^ please.
Renoldsville PA

The rent is probably cheaper, the parking is usually free, they have one grocery store - but the Walmart and Dubois is 10 miles closer.

They have their own elementary school - C.G. Johnson - but you have to commute to Dubois by bus to go to the high school or catholic school.
The Vo Tech school is at the edge of town.

A couple of good pizza shops and restaurants in town, reasonable price for gasoline in town and nice people and a very low crime rate.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
Hey, feel like i should chime in. I am originally from Philly, moved to Abilene TX, got married to a lovely lady from Philly and spent the last 6 years here. I also just accepted a job offer from Schlumberger. And i will be moving my happy ass from the middle of no where Texas to the middle of no where PA. The money is right, my wife is looking forward to it, and its time for a change. Physical location is what you make of it. Yes hour and work are mean, if you can handle it there isn't a problem. If you don't like where you are....MOVE. Dragmas hope to see ya at work soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania