Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM

712 posts, read 1,970,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
We were leaving a restaurant near Wellsboro as a fellow in a white truck with Texas plates was taking out a to go order.

I said to my wife "That must be one of those gas guys."

My 7yo daughter overheard and said: "Does that mean he farts?"

It shouldn't be a bad thing that more than a few hardworking folks have come into 3/4 of PA to help unlock our latent wealth. The change can't be stopped but should be managed.

I'm beginning really to be afraid that some of the more medieval features of PA's government will make appropriate management impossible. That's not the fault of those who are coming in for new opportunities.
They are not here to help our local economy.
We have lived here for years - thank you very much, without their help.
If anyone wanted to help us - they would give us money and not remove our natural resources.
They are in fact here to rape and pillage our state and once they get what they came for - they will leave, and leave behind a big mess for the tax payers of PA to clean up.

To someone that is only here to ruin my woods and ruin my drinking water and take something away from me in the name of progress and then sell it back to me later - at a higher price. That is not the kind of people that I would like to have as neighbors!
How much do you figure it is going to cost my kids or my grand kids to heat their homes with natural gas - once the natural gas supply is depleted in Pennsylvania?

Hey - it's great that they can take the natural gas produced here and ship it by pipe line down to North Carolina or Tennessee and use it to fuel their factories and run their economy. But it does very little for the average Pennsylvanian who does not own more then a acre or two and no mineral rights....
There is very few people in Pennsylvania who is actually benefiting from this natural gas boom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM

355 posts, read 818,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
They are not here to help our local economy.
We have lived here for years - thank you very much, without their help.
If anyone wanted to help us - they would give us money and not remove our natural resources.
They are in fact here to rape and pillage our state and once they get what they came for - they will leave, and leave behind a big mess for the tax payers of PA to clean up.

To someone that is only here to ruin my woods and ruin my drinking water and take something away from me in the name of progress and then sell it back to me later - at a higher price. That is not the kind of people that I would like to have as neighbors!
How much do you figure it is going to cost my kids or my grand kids to heat their homes with natural gas - once the natural gas supply is depleted in Pennsylvania?

Hey - it's great that they can take the natural gas produced here and ship it by pipe line down to North Carolina or Tennessee and use it to fuel their factories and run their economy. But it does very little for the average Pennsylvanian who does not own more then a acre or two and no mineral rights....
There is very few people in Pennsylvania who is actually benefiting from this natural gas boom!
I suggest you get educated on what is actually taking place and the gas shale that is being explored before you go making statements like the ones above. First off the only raping and pillaging going on is the price hike that local hotels have placed on their room rates since the boom has hit. The areas these rigs are setup at and the pipelines ( my job area ) come through are left in better shape than before they arrived. Don't think so??? Contact your local DEP representative and ask them.

How much is natural gas going to cost your grandkids once the source is depleted? You obviously have no clue what your talking about. The Marcellus has over 100 years or more of natural gas.

The boom has just started here. The benefit you receive as residents is a HUGE increase in money being spent in your local towns and businesses. Think I'm full of crap? How about you contact Cambridge, OH city hall and see just how much of the towns profits increased from the REX pipeline that came through last year. I know I personally spent over 10,000$ at a hotel there and I'm just one person. Not to mention dinners, entertainment, etc.

Gas prices are controlled on a national average in the stock markets. They rise and fall all over the country the same. More gas equals lower prices. Less gas equals higher prices.

People try to turn anything into a negative just to have something to gripe about. Instead of being so negative and always thinking your "right" look at the big picture here.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Oh it's not that cold in Western PA lol. Once you go on vacation in Quebec in the dead of winter, you change your definition of what a winter is. One morning up there it was -10 when we left to hotel to drive to Montreal and we got lost for almost an hour in Old Montreal walking around in 0 degree weather with a wind chill of -14. Once I did that, I changed my view of winter lol.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Oh it's not that cold in Western PA lol. Once you go on vacation in Quebec in the dead of winter, you change your definition of what a winter is. One morning up there it was -10 when we left to hotel to drive to Montreal and we got lost for almost an hour in Old Montreal walking around in 0 degree weather with a wind chill of -14. Once I did that, I changed my view of winter lol.
I know what you mean. It warmed up to 36 today and i thought it felt nice. I guess in 3 weeks I got more used to teens and twenties than I thought. 36 back home is usually a cold low for the night lol. 20 degrees happens maybe 3 days a year lol.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
I know what you mean. It warmed up to 36 today and i thought it felt nice. I guess in 3 weeks I got more used to teens and twenties than I thought. 36 back home is usually a cold low for the night lol. 20 degrees happens maybe 3 days a year lol.
We may not even get out of the teens today and Tuesday lol. Personally I love the winter and snow so I could never get used to the heat and lack of snow down south.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
I suggest you get educated on what is actually taking place and the gas shale that is being explored before you go making statements like the ones above. First off the only raping and pillaging going on is the price hike that local hotels have placed on their room rates since the boom has hit. The areas these rigs are setup at and the pipelines ( my job area ) come through are left in better shape than before they arrived. Don't think so??? Contact your local DEP representative and ask them.

How much is natural gas going to cost your grandkids once the source is depleted? You obviously have no clue what your talking about. The Marcellus has over 100 years or more of natural gas.

The boom has just started here. The benefit you receive as residents is a HUGE increase in money being spent in your local towns and businesses. Think I'm full of crap? How about you contact Cambridge, OH city hall and see just how much of the towns profits increased from the REX pipeline that came through last year. I know I personally spent over 10,000$ at a hotel there and I'm just one person. Not to mention dinners, entertainment, etc.

Gas prices are controlled on a national average in the stock markets. They rise and fall all over the country the same. More gas equals lower prices. Less gas equals higher prices.

People try to turn anything into a negative just to have something to gripe about. Instead of being so negative and always thinking your "right" look at the big picture here.
I'm impressed-you sound very knowledgable. And patient. lol
All that money is certainly helping the local economy. Real estate values have risen, and houses sell. Probably one of the few places in the country that can say that. And there's jobs. Not necessarily easy ones but if you want to work, you can. And, the farmers are getting some much-needed money. They probably are the biggest land owners (no, I'm not going to the court house for numbers) so are getting the most out of the whole thing.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
And, the farmers are getting some much-needed money.
Those are the folks around this area that really have been helped the most by this boom. It's definitely a trickle effect. Of course the rich get richer too. Your land owners get the most money as you stated.

But almost all businesses in the area benefit too once the pipeliners, roughnecks, and the rest that goes with natural gas exploration arrive. If I were a local, the only complaint I would have is the extra long lines at stores, gas stations, and eating joints that get slammed at breakfast time, payday, and Sundays .

Old 12-13-2010, 06:31 AM

153 posts, read 309,080 times
Quote:

More gas equals lower prices. Less gas equals higher prices.

This is not true, there are far more variables that you are not taking into consideration.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
yea-like govt intervention.

actually my biggest complaint is the condition of the roads. I braved the 'rough road' ones but when I got to the 'proceed at own risk' ones, I chickened out and hoped no emergency vehicle had to go that way.
They have been fixing them (at the gas co's expense) but the down side of that is now they're in too good a shape. Too easy to go too fast.
There's just no pleasing some people. ;ol

Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post

* * *There is very few people in Pennsylvania who is actually benefiting from this natural gas boom!
They're here to make a buck. Just like the PA oil men who went down to TX 100 years ago.

Rape and pillage is incidental, and can and should be stopped. It's the PA government that has to work on appropriate management. It's too simple to speak of "loosening" or "tightening" environmental regulation since in some respects both is necessary.

What we have right now is a setup for management by disaster. Possibly we'll have to wait for the second disaster, dam safety regulation in PA didn't come with the Johnstown Flood but with the Austin Dam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania