Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
October and November weren't too bad but now December is starting off pretty cold and is supposed to stay that way. Lake effect snow is pretty bad this early. All I can say is enjoy.
lol, do you live near Reading? Icy tea, its no better than crack cocaine .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,877 times
a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
the mediia will have you beleive that everyones against shale farming....

its 97% bull****. When we see people here from other states we're excited ....

in my opinion.....none of these people are worthy, or in a position to wish tax on anyone. I dont care if you live here or not, anyone with such ideals are selfish and bitter. As a productive member of Pennsylvania society theres no excuse for that kind of thing in my opinion. Anyone who wishes less wealth and prosperity on others is not a friend of anyone. to say the least

Last edited by touch32; 12-24-2010 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 02:17 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Just wondering-why the flames? When do they go out? By themselves or do they have to be extinguished?

I've seen a few from my back window (I live on a hill) and now there's another in the distance. I can't see the flame itself, but the glow in the sky against the clouds.

First time I saw one, I could just see a bit of the flame, mostly the glow. All I could think of was Mount Doom of Hobbit fame. lol

Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Oh Dear...one page in and people are already bashing a working fella for ::gasp:: working for a company. ::SMH::

OP, I was surprised to see you were from OK and not handling the cold in PA well. I was always under the assumption that OK had far more brutal winters than we did.

Wear a nice, heavy hat and gloves, lots of layers, big thick socks and you'll be ok.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 AM

45,366 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The bashing is because the companies are importing workers from out of state. Of course, no one has stopped to think that the skill sets needed by the drilling companies don't exist in PA any more. I knew a bunch of gas guys 35 and 40 years ago and they were old then. My uncle was one of them, he would have turned 100 this year.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh Dear...one page in and people are already bashing a working fella for ::gasp:: working for a company. ::SMH::
Way to oversimplify the issue. No "bashing" is taking place; just legitimate concerns aimed at business interests/lobbyists for a pretty controversial industry. Should we feel bad for those poor BP oil executives, too? I mean, after all, they provide plenty of jobs to "fellas" that "work for a company."

It never ceases to amaze me how defensive some people are about anything in the name of business or industry. As long as money and jobs are involved, people will ignore everything they can -- even if it were to degrade their quality of life to a point worse than being in poverty or unemployed.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-27-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
I wonder how lawman who didn't like our high winds is feeling right now, with this blizzard wind.

It is so strong, and so very cold. I was frozen in five minutes outside.

It will take more then gloves and socks to make one warm right about now........but........

The sun is out and the sky is blue...

Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Way to oversimplify the issue. No "bashing" is taking place; just legitimate concerns aimed at business interests/lobbyists for a pretty controversial industry. Should we feel bad for those poor BP oil executives, too? I mean, after all, they provide plenty of jobs to "fellas" that "work for a company."

It never ceases to amaze me how defensive some people are about anything in the name of business or industry. As long as money and jobs are involved, people will ignore everything they can -- even if it were to degrade their quality of life to a point worse than being in poverty or unemployed.
I don't think I agree with the classification as 'controversial industry'. That is painting things with a very broad brush (or whatever the idiom is). As an industry, they are great to work for, (I've done so in the long ago past). If you don't believe me, ask any of the thousands and thousands of high school-only graduates earning very high salaries. Or ask the state regulatory agencies that oversee the environmental practices, as a generalization, the oil companies earn good reviews here also.

They do have some controversial practices, BP and the gulf oil spill, fracking in the Marcellus shale are two examples.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I wonder how lawman who didn't like our high winds is feeling right now, with this blizzard wind.

It is so strong, and so very cold. I was frozen in five minutes outside.

It will take more then gloves and socks to make one warm right about now........but........

The sun is out and the sky is blue...
That saying comes to mind: There's no such thing as bad weather {insert cold weather, wet weather, windy conditions, muddy conditions etc. here}, there's only incorrect gear. Windproof gloves and windproof face protection (examples), correct layering, (one layer being windproof), good footwear.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I don't think I agree with the classification as 'controversial industry'. That is painting things with a very broad brush (or whatever the idiom is). As an industry, they are great to work for, (I've done so in the long ago past). If you don't believe me, ask any of the thousands and thousands of high school-only graduates earning very high salaries. Or ask the state regulatory agencies that oversee the environmental practices, as a generalization, the oil companies earn good reviews here also.

They do have some controversial practices, BP and the gulf oil spill, fracking in the Marcellus shale are two examples.
Right -- that's really what I should have said. I also don't mean to paint with a wide brush, as I realize that only a minority (at least I hope) of companies are often not in compliance with environmental standards with things such as fracking or water usage.

However, what I really mean by my previous post completely acknowledges what you're saying. Yes, you can make a great living working for these companies, but does that mean we should not critique their practices and hold them accountable? That's not only our prerogative; it's our responsibility as informed citizens. This is especially true for companies that have a greater risk to hurt our health and environment, and the oil and natural gas industry definitely qualify in that regard. I'm sorry, but no matter how the PR departments of these companies want to portray themselves, natural gas is fundamentally a "dirty" industry that needs sensible regulation -- and that's a point unfortunately that does require a broad brush. It's just common sense and assurance of good corporate citizenship.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-27-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania