Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

355 posts, read 813,772 times

Advertisements

Holy moly how do you folks stand this cold and wind?!?

I've been working near Washington since March and this week has been miserable for me. I am from Oklahoma and work on the pipelines around here. Is it always like this in the winter here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Holy moly how do you folks stand this cold and wind?!?

I've been working near Washington since March and this week has been miserable for me. I am from Oklahoma and work on the pipelines around here. Is it always like this in the winter here?
  1. Keep your back to the wind, even if it means you head in the opposite direction than you would like to go.
  2. Try to walk without bending your legs or swinging your arms.
  3. Remember the days start getting longer in less than two weeks.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,714,657 times
Quote:
Is it always like this in the winter here?
No, sometimes it gets cold.

Honestly, most of PA isn't as windy as most of the Midwest, at least at ground level. Moving to Harrisburg area from eastern Iowa seemed balmy in the winter. Washington PA will be more exposed to snow and cold than Harrisburg though.

(In much of PA "Washington" used alone means DC not PA, I'm guessing based on the pipeline work that's not what you mean though.)

Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM

681 posts, read 1,197,151 times
Wow.....you're from OK and think PA is windy? I spent a lot of time at Fort Sill, OK and it seemed like the wind never stopped blowing.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Wow.....you're from OK and think PA is windy? I spent a lot of time at Fort Sill, OK and it seemed like the wind never stopped blowing.
Wind and 60 degrees is lot easier to deal with than 14 and wind

Old 12-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
(In much of PA "Washington" used alone means DC not PA, I'm guessing based on the pipeline work that's not what you mean though.)
Ya I meant SW PA

Washington, PA south of Pittsburgh close to WV.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
You must be here to take all our gas.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm here to help you get gas into your home and business at a lower price instead of having to bring it in from somewhere else. I'm also here spending lots of money on lodging, dining, gas, and entertainment breathing life back into your economy!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,324,290 times
I think we were all caught a little flat footed with the sudden cold snap. Put on some layers and you'll be fine.

We appreciate your work.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 PM

712 posts, read 1,960,301 times
Quote:
I'm here to help you get gas into your home and business at a lower price instead of having to bring it in from somewhere else. I'm also here spending lots of money on lodging, dining, gas, and entertainment breathing life back into your economy!
I might not have been born yesterday - but I wasn't born last week either.

Marcellus Shale Gas is a wet gas - it is not used to heat homes and it will not be used to bring down the price of the gas we use.

The gas that is produced in Pennsylvania is used elsewhere and is shipped out of this state at a much grander scale then what it is used.

Some of the gas that we use is actually produced elsewhere.

Anyone that reads their gas bill can see that there is a pipe line - distribution charge that is a cost that is associated with the production and delivery of natural gas.
So don't let this guy jerk your chain.

Marcellus shale gas is used to make plastic's, can be blended with gasoline and has many uses other then home heating fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania