Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,239,524 times

Advertisements

Lancaster is not close to any mountains. Its the original breadbasket of the US.

I would think the OP would best served by looking at NEPA or the Lehigh Valley. Great places to live there and close to NY. Besides no one from FL really wants to live in western PA. JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:22 PM

27 posts, read 40,148 times
Why exactly does everyone seem to think State College is isolated? With a metropolitan population in excess of 140,000 people-that swells to more than 170,000 with the student population-with easy access to Altoona to the south, Williamsport to the northeast, the PA Wilds to the northwest, and the Harrisburg area to the southeast... I tend to disagree.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,239,524 times
I lived there for 4 years, you drive 10 miles in any direction and its in the middle of no-where. Really, its the geographic heart of PA.

But its a great place to live, boy do I miss it.

Last edited by sp2007; 12-16-2010 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: positive spin

Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 AM

563 posts, read 926,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
State College is not very close to any city, it is known for it's isolation. Then again, I guess it depends on what the OP considers "close" or "city". Harrisburg is the closest - about an hour and 30/45 min drive but it's a small city. Plus, in order to get there you have to drive through the mountains which isn't pleasant in bad weather.

I would recommend the northern Philly suburbs or up into Lehigh Valley, depending on whether the OP wants to be closer to the city or mountains.
State College is a city. Wiki it or something. Harrisburg a "small" city?? It's the capitol of the state! We have very different perspectives I guess. These "mountains" here are really just small hills and if you can't drive anything more difficult than "pleasant", then you shouldn't be driving at all.. Jeez, you cried about everything.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn2011 View Post
Why exactly does everyone seem to think State College is isolated? With a metropolitan population in excess of 140,000 people-that swells to more than 170,000 with the student population-with easy access to Altoona to the south, Williamsport to the northeast, the PA Wilds to the northwest, and the Harrisburg area to the southeast... I tend to disagree.
No one is saying State College is dead town. I love State College. I just don't think it's what the OP is asking for and that there are better options which might better fit what he's looking for.

Quote:
State College is a city.
And the OP asked for a location NEAR a city, not in one. It's also a small city, much smaller than Harrisburg, and the OP didn't specify what size city he wanted to be near. When people say "city" I usually go for the big cities just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Harrisburg a "small" city?? It's the capitol of the state!
It may be the capitol but it's population is still much smaller than many PA cities. In fact, it's the ninth largest city in PA - wiki it or something. Just because it's the capitol doesn't mean it HAS to be a big city.

Quote:
These "mountains" here are really just small hills
Tussey Mountain is most certainly a mountain and so are many of the others around State College. But the OP asked for a location near mountains, not small hills - so if you think they are hills, why did you recommend the location?

Quote:
and if you can't drive anything more difficult than "pleasant", then you shouldn't be driving at all..
I said it's not pleasant in bad weather. Cars with little horsepower and big trucks like 18 wheelers struggle uphill on those mountains - I've seen it and even experienced it with my old 91 Honda Civic. I'm never said I can't drive that stretch though, just that there are other locations where one doesn't have to drive through mountains to get to a city.

Quote:
Jeez, you cried about everything.
I'm not going to apologize for having a very valid opinion based on my knowledge and personal experience of the area. Just because I disagree with your suggestion doesn't mean I'm "crying" about anything... if anything, it sounds like you're crying about someone simply disagreeing with you. I'm sorry if that upsets you but I stand by everything I've said.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM

563 posts, read 926,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not going to apologize for having a very valid opinion based on my knowledge and personal experience of the area. Just because I disagree with your suggestion doesn't mean I'm "crying" about anything... if anything, it sounds like you're crying about someone simply disagreeing with you. I'm sorry if that upsets you but I stand by everything I've said.
Not upset at all but from reading your posts, I guess England really is cold......

Old 12-24-2010, 10:20 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,865,021 times
For physical beauty, I love the northeastern part of the state called "The Endless Mountains"region. The mountains, lakes, valleys are even more beautiful than the Poconos ... and it's cheaper and less touristy. This area includes some charming small towns that are out of a Norman Rockwell painting ... Wyalusing, Montrose, New Milford, etc.

For me, it is important to be near the amenities of a big city: great museums, art galleries, good restaurants, ethnic restaurants, nightlife, good shopping, attractive "downtown" streets for strolling, fine educational institutions, historical areas ... the the best places would be "The Main Line" - so close to Philly - as little as 20 or 30 minutes by car - yet lovely upscale communities like Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Villa Nova, Radnor, etc. These places are really beautiful. The only downside is buying residential properties here can be very pricey ... for a good reason!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv-n-PA View Post
There is snow and then there is too much snow. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and I would define that as too much snow. Now I am in Chester County (suburbs far west of Philly) and I think the seasons are just right. Also, everything is more accessible here. We have a number of major metros within driving distance and we have excellent train service to those same major metros.
Pittsburgh averages 40 inches of snow a year. That is not a lot at all when you look at other cities such as Erie, Buffalo, Cleveland, Rochester, etc. I find 40 to be a decent amount as it's enough to give snow cover for a longer duration but not enough to disrupt your life more than once or twice a decade.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM

25 posts, read 49,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theperrottagroup View Post
I'm originally from Long island, NY. I've lived in FL the last 20 years. I am ready for the seasons again. I am looking for a place close to the mountains, but also close to a city. I would like snow again. Which is the best area of PA?
hah! trick question! it's all great!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM

356 posts, read 831,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Pittsburgh averages 40 inches of snow a year. That is not a lot at all when you look at other cities such as Erie, Buffalo, Cleveland, Rochester, etc. I find 40 to be a decent amount as it's enough to give snow cover for a longer duration but not enough to disrupt your life more than once or twice a decade.
yeah, 40 is nothing; but then again I'm from the above mentioned area where we've been getting 100 inches for practically as far as I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania