Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM

12 posts, read 20,333 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Long island, NY. I've lived in FL the last 20 years. I am ready for the seasons again. I am looking for a place close to the mountains, but also close to a city. I would like snow again. Which is the best area of PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Western PA or the Lehigh Valley where you will be near the Poconos. If you're looking for snow and close to a larger city, I would say the Laurel Highlands just east of Pittsburgh would be your best bet. Try looking at homes in Westmoreland County towns/cities such as Greensburg, Latrobe, Ligioner, Hempfield Twp, and Irwin.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 AM

9 posts, read 22,265 times
Default How much snow do you really want?

There is snow and then there is too much snow. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and I would define that as too much snow. Now I am in Chester County (suburbs far west of Philly) and I think the seasons are just right. Also, everything is more accessible here. We have a number of major metros within driving distance and we have excellent train service to those same major metros.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 AM

563 posts, read 929,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theperrottagroup View Post
I'm originally from Long island, NY. I've lived in FL the last 20 years. I am ready for the seasons again. I am looking for a place close to the mountains, but also close to a city. I would like snow again. Which is the best area of PA?
State College or Williamsport would be my recommendations. You could also add Mansfield to the mix. Depends on what other factors are involved, like jobs, schools, culture, etc.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
A little of it depends on what your real needs are. If you plan trips back to Long Island; you might want to locate farther east. It all depends on if you have relatives or other needs outside of PA. The closer you get to New Jersey; the more problems and the higher the cost of living. If you have no need to leave the area you settle in; take a virtual tour of our State on Google Earth. Check local newspapers and check out realtors.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Mountains, snow, maybe the beach in summer, in PA - how about PA's fourth largest city, Erie, close to Allegheny National Forest?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:12 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
I live on the western edge of the Poconos - 25 miles away from Willkes-Barre and big box shopping if need be. Minutes away from I80 and the NE ext of the Pa Turnpike.

I am surrounded by state parks, state game lands and Army Corp of Engineer land which insultates our town from the rapid development and associated problems that has plagued the eastern part of the Poconos 30 miles away.

I can step off my porch and be wading in a trout stream or hiking a park trail in a few minutes.

I love quiet, crime-free country living and my little piece of NEPA is like heaven.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
State College
State College is not very close to any city, it is known for it's isolation. Then again, I guess it depends on what the OP considers "close" or "city". Harrisburg is the closest - about an hour and 30/45 min drive but it's a small city. Plus, in order to get there you have to drive through the mountains which isn't pleasant in bad weather.

I would recommend the northern Philly suburbs or up into Lehigh Valley, depending on whether the OP wants to be closer to the city or mountains.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The part where you can dip your toes into Lake Erie.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
interesting question.
greensburg in western pa. good sized town close to pittsburgh and the alleghenies.
bethlehem-small city near poconos but reasonably close to Philly and not too far from NY either.
how close is lancater to mountains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania