U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 AM

13,321 posts, read 21,704,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave53 View Post
Not really a story but I don't think you'd see this to often.

Here in Westmoreland county I've seen fresh fruit & veggie stands with nobody there to collect the money. They just have a locked wooden box with a sign asking you to leave your money in it. I also have an outdoor fireplace that we use alot. The place I buy my firewood is the same way. I've been buying from them for yrs and I think I've seen the person once. They have a sign there asking you to just leave the money in the door.
That kinda says a lot about the people around here.
Ya' know this is so, so, rare anymore that it gives me so much faith.......that with trust and integrity.....we can make our World and State a better place.
We can always use more of this ...........Thank you Veggie people....
and Thank you Firewood people........for your trust in mankind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswoogie View Post
I was walking down the street in Everett, Pa. and just remembered I had left my camera in the store I was in earlier. I Left it in the fitting room hanging on a hook on the back of the door, I went back to the store and no one stole it. If it was in Baltimore or D.C. it would have already been in the pawn shop.
Mrswoogie, the same thing happened with my sunglasses just yesterday.
They magnetically attach to my perscription glasses, and after almost loosing them another time I know they cost 70 dollars to replace!!!!!! Well, I did it again.........and the waitress came running out to hand them to me. Whew, she saved me a lot of bucks.
Thank you Pizza Hut waitress of Pa......

Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,348,283 times
Hey I LOVE PA! I used to live in The Hideout and on Long Island. What a small world. Is that small grocery store you speak of right outside The Hideout main gate on Rt.590 a little ways up the hill? The Shur Save. Just wondering. Have a nice day.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:40 PM

13,139 posts, read 31,635,047 times
All the little roadside stands around here operate on the honor system. Oftentimes it's just a card table and a coffee can to collect the money. Unfortunately, our friends that own a peach orchard had to chain their money box to their stand after having it stolen once.

At the library where I work last week there was a lady that came in and needed to pay an overdue fine. I couldn't let her check anything out unless she got her fine under $5. and we don't take credit cards. A young lady immediately came to the desk after overhearing our conversation and offered to pay the fine. She said she wanted to "pay it forward". We both thought that was very nice but then the first lady found enough change in her purse to take care of the problem. Just the offer made us both smile and the generous young lady felt good because she had offered.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:06 PM

153 posts, read 659,890 times
I hired movers using Craig's List. Two young black guys with a rental truck showed up. At the end of the day it cost $700 something and I paid with hundreds. On Monday they returned to give me back $100 saying I overpaid and that the bills must have stuck together. This was in the eastern Pittsburgh suburbs.

Before moving I was selling stuff and if I wasn't going to be home I told the buyers I'd leave the items on the front porch. Out of about ten transactions like this everyone left the money in the mailbox or slid it under the door.

I was also somewhere in nearby Westmoreland county that sold Christmas trees, etc. The owners were there but I noticed inside a table with a can and sign saying something about the honor system when they weren't there.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM

92 posts, read 377,706 times
Once when I was in high school my mom and I went to a department store to go shopping. I had the cash from my paycheck in a bank envelope and it must have fallen out of my purse. It was probably $80-$100. I didn't realize I had lost it until we went out to get in our car and there was a note on our window from a gentleman that said he had found an envelope near our car and if it was ours we should call and verify the amount in order to get it back. I did call and I was able to get it back and was very grateful for his honesty and effort in returning the money.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I hired movers using Craig's List. Two young black guys with a rental truck showed up. At the end of the day it cost $700 something and I paid with hundreds. On Monday they returned to give me back $100 saying I overpaid and that the bills must have stuck together. This was in the eastern Pittsburgh suburbs.

Before moving I was selling stuff and if I wasn't going to be home I told the buyers I'd leave the items on the front porch. Out of about ten transactions like this everyone left the money in the mailbox or slid it under the door.

I was also somewhere in nearby Westmoreland county that sold Christmas trees, etc. The owners were there but I noticed inside a table with a can and sign saying something about the honor system when they weren't there.
I can't think of which story I loved the best........thanks for sharing.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llzpa View Post
Once when I was in high school my mom and I went to a department store to go shopping. I had the cash from my paycheck in a bank envelope and it must have fallen out of my purse. It was probably $80-$100. I didn't realize I had lost it until we went out to get in our car and there was a note on our window from a gentleman that said he had found an envelope near our car and if it was ours we should call and verify the amount in order to get it back. I did call and I was able to get it back and was very grateful for his honesty and effort in returning the money.
Love your story...........
Once when we were in SC, we found a money wallet on the sidewalk.
In it was a paper with the ladies name and address. We saw that it was WV.
There was one car in the lot with a man there..........we decided to ask him if he knew this ladies name........He said yes, and went in the store to get her. After a few questions, we knew it was hers.
She told us " we'd never know how valuable this was to her"........so I'm glad we found it and were able to find her.
She was about to give me five dollars...........but, Nah...........
Rewards are in the heart, rewards don't need cash.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
All the little roadside stands around here operate on the honor system. Oftentimes it's just a card table and a coffee can to collect the money. Unfortunately, our friends that own a peach orchard had to chain their money box to their stand after having it stolen once.

At the library where I work last week there was a lady that came in and needed to pay an overdue fine. I couldn't let her check anything out unless she got her fine under $5. and we don't take credit cards. A young lady immediately came to the desk after overhearing our conversation and offered to pay the fine. She said she wanted to "pay it forward". We both thought that was very nice but then the first lady found enough change in her purse to take care of the problem. Just the offer made us both smile and the generous young lady felt good because she had offered.
Too bad they had to chain that money box.........but, sure that can happen........It just takes one person to ruin a good thing.
The library story is very cute...........
I once had a TEN dollar fine at the library.......
Had to pay it "myownself". Where is the generous lady when you need one

Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

49 posts, read 153,544 times
I have many great PA people stories. Here is one. This sounds so cliche but it's true. I am from South Central Pa.

One Christmas my husband and I didn't have barely any money for gifts. We had just recently found out one of our children had a heart condition so we had to pay some hospital bills and for medication. We were behind on our rent and explained to our landlord what was going on. The property manager that we talked to asked if we were going to be home and if she could stop by. So she did and she brought a 100.00 walmart gift card and told us to buy our kids gifts. She said that years ago her and her husband were in a similar situation and someone did this for them and all they wanted in return was for them to do it for someone else. And that is what she said to us. It was like that movie. It's amazing how nice people can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania