U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 PM

264 posts, read 1,054,396 times

Advertisements

I've got a couple...

We had just moved into our new home and it was like 20 degrees outside and we were trying to put up our mailbox (imagine two females trying to dig in rocky PA soil in 20 degree weather). Our neighbor (from the adjacent older neighborhood) comes out and puts up the mailbox for us. That was the first time we'd met him and he and the Mrs have been wonderful ever since. They keep an eye out for the house when we're away and even cut our grass!

I also remember when I got stuck in the snow last winter, in my own subdivision, at about 9 PM and a couple of young guys were passing by in an SUV and pushed me all the way home and they didn't even live in my neighborhood!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 21,704,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
I've got a couple...

We had just moved into our new home and it was like 20 degrees outside and we were trying to put up our mailbox (imagine two females trying to dig in rocky PA soil in 20 degree weather). Our neighbor (from the adjacent older neighborhood) comes out and puts up the mailbox for us. That was the first time we'd met him and he and the Mrs have been wonderful ever since. They keep an eye out for the house when we're away and even cut our grass!

I also remember when I got stuck in the snow last winter, in my own subdivision, at about 9 PM and a couple of young guys were passing by in an SUV and pushed me all the way home and they didn't even live in my neighborhood!
I love that...............

Old 07-17-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermyst View Post
I have many great PA people stories. Here is one. This sounds so cliche but it's true. I am from South Central Pa.

One Christmas my husband and I didn't have barely any money for gifts. We had just recently found out one of our children had a heart condition so we had to pay some hospital bills and for medication. We were behind on our rent and explained to our landlord what was going on. The property manager that we talked to asked if we were going to be home and if she could stop by. So she did and she brought a 100.00 walmart gift card and told us to buy our kids gifts. She said that years ago her and her husband were in a similar situation and someone did this for them and all they wanted in return was for them to do it for someone else. And that is what she said to us. It was like that movie. It's amazing how nice people can be.
This gave me tears.......I hope it always can just keep going, round and round........these acts of kindness......

Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 PM

49 posts, read 153,544 times
Made me cry too when it happened
I have another one. A few years back we had moved to a new house on Dec. 16th. On Dec 24th it snowed and I had to go to work. We hadn't lived there long and hadn't really met the neighbors yet. Since it was cold, I went out and started my car to warm it up so it wouldn't be cold for my kids. Well, I got the kids together (they were ages 1 and 3), locked the door to the house and went to get in my car. Then I see that my car doors were locked with the car running. (I had a problem with the power locks not completely unlocking) So there I am with two kids in the snow locked out of my house and car and across the street a my new neighbor comes out and helps me break into my car and that's how I met the first person there.
I have so many stories of people being like that so I try to be the same way.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 PM

31,928 posts, read 73,593,948 times
1.) While working the register at my old job as a stock clerk at the Redner's here in suburban Pittston in December of 2004, I was aghast to have a customer ask for $500 worth of our gift cards. It turns out that he lived next-door to a visibly-needy family, and he wanted to leave this gift for them in a Christmas card to make their Holiday season just a little bit merrier.

2.) While dining at the Perkins in Mt. Pocono, my ex-boyfriend left the restaurant and forgot to grab the old-fashioned weather station he had bought for his father that he had brought to the restaurant to show me. Our waitress came running out the door with it.

3.) During the major Valentine's Day Blizzard of 2007, we heard many, many stories about random strangers helping others to push stranded vehicles up and down the many steep streets of Scranton's Hill Section.

4.) Back in early-2006 I left my keys locked inside of my vehicle after work one evening. My co-worker Maureen graciously offered to drive me home to Pittston Township to pick up my spare key and then drove me back to the parking lot, even though she lived in Shickshinny, which was far in the opposite direction. She turned down the cash I had offered her to help pay for gas.

5.) Back in September of 2004, I accidentally drove the front-right wheel of my car off of a steep ditch along a narrow two-lane road near my high school just before a major football game. My car's back-left end was up in the air, and I was afraid my car would eventually flip forward if enough of the ground beneath me continued to erode away, as it was loose from recent heavy rains. After calling both my parents and AAA, I was suprised to see person after person approaching my vehicle and offering help---I soon had roughly a dozen men trying to push my car's front-right corner back onto the roadside while I gunned it in reverse. Unfortunately, the angle the car was at was just too steep, but it was nice to see the community come together like that to aid a complete stranger.

6.) I scored my own "brownie points" with God while walking from campus to Barnes & Noble earlier this year to purchase some textbooks. During my walk I noticed a professionally-attired woman lumbering around in the middle of busy North Main Street trying to pick up fluttering papers while dodging traffic. Without even thinking I sat my belongings on the roadside and charged into the roadway to help her collect her wayward documents, as I didn't want to see her get hit by a car (I should also note that passing motorists were being very courteous by driving slowly instead of honking their horns as they might have somewhere else). She was very thankful for the act of kindness, and I beamed with pride to discern a slight accent---perhaps she had just moved here to Wilkes-Barre and was impressed by our small-town hospitality? I was also thrilled to see my belongings still intact and undisturbed on the nearby sidewalk, even though pedestrian traffic in that area was heavy at the time. I suppose living in one of the safest MSAs in the nation can certainly have its benefits.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Stories

SWB and Smyst I love your stories.......makes me love Pa even more.
I have another one.....
One cold ,wintery night my daughter and her fiance' were coming up the winding, steep hill to Penn Estates. It was snowing, which it hadn't been in New Jersey when they left. I get a cell phone call from her........in which she is hollaring and in a panic........seems her car was going down the hill backwards sliding and doing as it may...........All I could hear on my end was a bunch of panic phrases. Then the phone went dead.........
Finally about 15 min. later as we were preparing to head out to see what was what..........we got a call.
Seems the person at the bottom had a mailbox that stopped the car.
If not for that mailbox it surely would have gone over a very steep enbankment. The person who owned it came out and put a tow on to their car and pulled them off of the cliff. Saying, " No, you don't need to buy us a mailbox........this happens all the time"
They then drove to a safe parking place and we brought them back up to our home..........until the storm was over the next day.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 AM

85 posts, read 340,296 times
Thank you for sharing all these wonderful and heart warming stories.

You see, my family will be making a BIG shift from Asia to PA. This is our first major shift b'cos of my husband's job. We'll probably be there for 1 to 2 yrs. Having lived in this part of the world all my life, what I know about the other side of the world is thru the media and movies and they haven't been very encouraging.

Your stories make me feel very safe, secured and warm. My fears and worries are unfounded

Old 07-19-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom View Post
Thank you for sharing all these wonderful and heart warming stories.

You see, my family will be making a BIG shift from Asia to PA. This is our first major shift b'cos of my husband's job. We'll probably be there for 1 to 2 yrs. Having lived in this part of the world all my life, what I know about the other side of the world is thru the media and movies and they haven't been very encouraging.

Your stories make me feel very safe, secured and warm. My fears and worries are unfounded
Wow..........Kmom that is a really big, big step for you. It must be surely a bit daunting. But, it will be a great experience.......
What town are you moving to? Can I be of any help.?.....feel free to ask.
I hope you are going to an area that is fun and enjoyable.......there are many.
I'm excited for you.......
Things should be fine, so much to do.........places to see.........
So happy your coming our way.......

Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM

222 posts, read 1,359,260 times
I remember once I worked at a gas station in my teens. And every morning this guy who ran an asphalt company would come in gas up his truck and get a large cup of coffee and a paper. He usually would be friendly. say hi and pay. one day i remember a new cashier had started and was looking through the local newspaper for a used mattress because they had just been kicked out of their house and needed to get one. he paid for his stuff walked outside. He then re entered the store a few minutes later and threw a pile of money (that turned out to be three hundred dollars) on the counter and said something like "when i was a kid i was homeless, buy yourself a bed" then walked out. I could not believe it, the person was jumping up and down running all over the place. i was so shocked by his helping a person he didnt even know.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
I remember once I worked at a gas station in my teens. And every morning this guy who ran an asphalt company would come in gas up his truck and get a large cup of coffee and a paper. He usually would be friendly. say hi and pay. one day i remember a new cashier had started and was looking through the local newspaper for a used mattress because they had just been kicked out of their house and needed to get one. he paid for his stuff walked outside. He then re entered the store a few minutes later and threw a pile of money (that turned out to be three hundred dollars) on the counter and said something like "when i was a kid i was homeless, buy yourself a bed" then walked out. I could not believe it, the person was jumping up and down running all over the place. i was so shocked by his helping a person he didnt even know.
Makes me cry again............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania