U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
 
13 posts, read 54,299 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My boyfriend casually knows a guy getting married. The groom mentioned they couldn't afford a honeymoon. My boyfriend ( no big spender- believe me) called up a Hilton and booked them 2 nights in a suite, $400 on his credit card so they could have a weekend. Then,he handed over the keys to his convertible so they could drive around in a nice car for the weekend. He emailed a few others he thought might want to help them out too. We are going to try and get there before them and lay out champagne. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 PM
 
85 posts, read 340,296 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Wow..........Kmom that is a really big, big step for you. It must be surely a bit daunting. But, it will be a great experience.......
What town are you moving to? Can I be of any help.?.....feel free to ask.
I hope you are going to an area that is fun and enjoyable.......there are many.
I'm excited for you.......
Things should be fine, so much to do.........places to see.........
So happy your coming our way.......
Hi Summering,

Thank you. WIll be heading to Allentown that's where my husband's company is located. Would be nice to know the great places for schools, homes, church... we have 2 kids - 7 year old and 3 years old. Like all parents, we want a good environment
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM
 
13,139 posts, read 31,635,047 times
Reputation: 7859
kmom, I sent you a pm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,321 posts, read 21,704,734 times
Reputation: 11689
Default Churches and homes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom View Post
Hi Summering,

Thank you. WIll be heading to Allentown that's where my husband's company is located. Would be nice to know the great places for schools, homes, church... we have 2 kids - 7 year old and 3 years old. Like all parents, we want a good environment
Kmom...............You won't want to live "in Allentown" itself. It is a great place for business. There is a wonderful large airport for going in and out of and that is handy. Many businesses are along route 22, in and around there.
I think you'd like Forks ( an area off of Easton)......From this spot you will not be far from your husbands work in Allentown. Forks has many new communities ,with young families such as yours. The homes have come down in price a bit, so that is good for buyers. Up behind College Hill.......some of the farms have now sold to developers. The homes are quite nice, and there are children for the little ones to enjoy. From there you can shop quite nicely in Phillipsburg, NJ or Easton has a nice Mall, also out from there is Wegmans, and Walmart, Sams Club, and a great Regal 12 theater. Close to your home would be the Giants food store, CVS, Walgreens, a few restaurants,.............
Your husband would be at work within 15 or 20 min. most likely........as I don't know his location.
There are many churches in the Easton/Forks area.
I don't know what church you attend, but there are many along Sullivan trail, and in the Easton area. You will not have to go far for one of your choosing.
If you mention what chuch you would like to attend I can look up the location for you.
There is even an upscale neighorhood in Forks with golf as its center point.
So homes ranging around $290,000 on upwards past the $500,000 range.
Also people like Nazareth, and I understand there are new homes going there also. I have not been in that town lately........but, they are known to have good schools. All of these development areas will have children, so that should not be a worry for you.
So choice wise, if I were moving into the Allentown area for a job.........
I'd look up Easton (forks area) or Nazareth. There are a few good locations in Allentown......around Cedar Crest Blvd./Lincoln Ave. that I can think of also.
But ideally........I'd go to the first mentioned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 PM
 
1,001 posts, read 1,905,222 times
Reputation: 422
My uncle was trying on suit jackets at Jc-Penney at the mall. He puts his wallet in the inside brest pocket wo when trying on a suit he makes sure the pocket is the right size. He stupidly left his wallet in the pocket and left the store and was looking everywhere for it at home. Later on in the day like 3 or four hours later he got a call from someone. They said they where looking at jackets and found his wallet.

Thats not the best part. When he went to their house to retirieve it he asked how they got his number. The Lady said he looked his name up in the phone book. There are like 50 people with the same name as my uncle in Scranton. She called like 15 of them. She could have just left it in there or stolen the money or given to the cashier. INstead she took on the responsibility of returning it to its owner. My uncle gave her a nice reward and was very relieved to say the least. GOOD PEOPLE IN NEPA!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,321 posts, read 21,704,734 times
Reputation: 11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
My uncle was trying on suit jackets at Jc-Penney at the mall. He puts his wallet in the inside brest pocket wo when trying on a suit he makes sure the pocket is the right size. He stupidly left his wallet in the pocket and left the store and was looking everywhere for it at home. Later on in the day like 3 or four hours later he got a call from someone. They said they where looking at jackets and found his wallet.

Thats not the best part. When he went to their house to retirieve it he asked how they got his number. The Lady said he looked his name up in the phone book. There are like 50 people with the same name as my uncle in Scranton. She called like 15 of them. She could have just left it in there or stolen the money or given to the cashier. INstead she took on the responsibility of returning it to its owner. My uncle gave her a nice reward and was very relieved to say the least. GOOD PEOPLE IN NEPA!!!!
I Love Pa for all these reasons. Gosh, I gave a pocketbook to the manager once in a store, I didn't touch a thing.......I hope they made that call.
Wondering if I should of took it home and did this myself, or was it right to turn it right in.....humm
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,321 posts, read 21,704,734 times
Reputation: 11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBurg View Post
My boyfriend casually knows a guy getting married. The groom mentioned they couldn't afford a honeymoon. My boyfriend ( no big spender- believe me) called up a Hilton and booked them 2 nights in a suite, $400 on his credit card so they could have a weekend. Then,he handed over the keys to his convertible so they could drive around in a nice car for the weekend. He emailed a few others he thought might want to help them out too. We are going to try and get there before them and lay out champagne. :-)
I love your boyfriend.......Well, you know what I mean. The "NO big spender" has a great heart.....and really.......that is what matters in life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
16 posts, read 39,471 times
Reputation: 12
This happened about 10 years ago during my college days. I had gone to visit a friend who attended another college about 2 hours away in Butler county. I was on my way home about 8:00 AM Sunday morning. It was February and about 10 degrees outside. Anyway, I ended up running out of gas on this stretch of 422 in the middle of nowhere (this was before cell phones). Anyway, a gentleman happened to come along who not only drove 5 miles down the road to the nearest gas station, but brought me back a full container of gas and refused to let me give him any money for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,321 posts, read 21,704,734 times
Reputation: 11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopho31 View Post
This happened about 10 years ago during my college days. I had gone to visit a friend who attended another college about 2 hours away in Butler county. I was on my way home about 8:00 AM Sunday morning. It was February and about 10 degrees outside. Anyway, I ended up running out of gas on this stretch of 422 in the middle of nowhere (this was before cell phones). Anyway, a gentleman happened to come along who not only drove 5 miles down the road to the nearest gas station, but brought me back a full container of gas and refused to let me give him any money for it.
HUGS to the Pa gentleman.....MORE gentlemen always welcome
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 08:55 AM
 
16 posts, read 44,752 times
Reputation: 18
You know, being from NJ and having moved to Maine - well I did notice a significant and comforting change in atmosphere and way of life. I sort of think of Maine/NH as bizarro NJ (think Seinfeld). That being said, I have often thought and started researching places to live because I have strong ties to NJ since my parents are there and well none of us are getting any younger. Plus, the winters up here sure do build character and I feel as though I have enough. NJ is out of the question because where I would want to live is out of my price range. So I thought PA - and resigned myself to going back on my word of NEVER living with the "keystone kooks" as my obnoxious NJ brethren and I used to refer to people from PA. Maybe its because NJ gets picked on so much we feel the need to name call...sorry folks. Anyhoo, the point that I seem to be taking so long to make is this. People should tell more positive stories about the places where they live. I like these stories and it sort of puts my mind at ease being a single girl and all. They are encouraging.
Since I feel "wicked" safe up here, to look elsewhere makes me feel a little anxious. I also like the ease of local food/farm stands - getting fresh eggs and farm raised pork, lamb and beef. That is really important to me - being able to buy local products. From my research it seems that PA still has that mentality as well. Does anyone else have that perception?
Every state in the union has towns where -if given the choice - a person may pass over. It seems like Bethlehem is alright which is where I've been pricing real esate. So I guess - I just wanted to say keep the good stories coming - they really help!!
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top