U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:25 AM

13,321 posts, read 21,700,098 times

Advertisements

I saw that the Maine thread did some interesting stories about their state and its people.........Here is my Pa. story.

It was the coldest day I can remember in Pa. Our SUV was traveling down a long highway and it was cold, windy, and 8 below zero!
The Jimmy decided to sputter, putt, and act like it was about to die.
It did.
My husband, with his heart condition, had to go tredge through snow up to his knees to the nearest home. ( later I wished I had instead)
The wonderful person there took him to a phone booth to make a call.
( he had a rental and was not allowed long distance).........
As I sat shivering, one very nice Pa motorist.........took the time to pull over and ask if I needed help. This on the worst, and downright grusome day that was so below zero.........I don't know why anyone would stop.
I find the people of Pa. refreshing, and always there to help in any way they can.............and your story?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Gosh......no stories

Gosh, Pa........the state of Maine has lots of nice stories........do we not have any?
I remember when the plow broke on our long driveway.
If it didn't get shoveled or plowed we'd be stuck for a long, long, time.
We tugged the tracker back up the hill with a rope hooked to the SUV.
Because I am the only one here to shovel, I proceeded to go to the bottom and begin, what would have been a long, long day.
Our very new neighbor who was on his way out........came quickly when he saw me shoveling the hardened snow. He was going to do this with his snowblower, and "would I mind if he did it for me?".....
Before he could even come out, another neighbor with his snowblower did mine, at the same time as he was doing his own area.
I love my Pa neighbors.....they were such a help that day...

Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 PM

58 posts, read 190,309 times
The guy who helped me chip the ice off my car windows in that Home Depot parking lot.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 PM

13,139 posts, read 31,625,702 times
At a grocery store I asked an older women if I could return her cart for her to the cart corral and she said, "No thank you, but you are the third person that asked!" Maybe sometimes we're too helpful.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
The guy who helped me chip the ice off my car windows in that Home Depot parking lot.
That was so nice of him to take the time to help........I like that story
Thanks

Old 07-15-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
At a grocery store I asked an older women if I could return her cart for her to the cart corral and she said, "No thank you, but you are the third person that asked!" Maybe sometimes we're too helpful.
Wow, she had three kind people come her way, she is blessed......and I am sure she went home with a really big grin..

Old 07-15-2007, 05:49 AM

45 posts, read 225,599 times
I was walking down the street in Everett, Pa. and just remembered I had left my camera in the store I was in earlier. I Left it in the fitting room hanging on a hook on the back of the door, I went back to the store and no one stole it. If it was in Baltimore or D.C. it would have already been in the pawn shop.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 AM

78 posts, read 297,251 times
Not really a story but I don't think you'd see this to often.

Here in Westmoreland county I've seen fresh fruit & veggie stands with nobody there to collect the money. They just have a locked wooden box with a sign asking you to leave your money in it. I also have an outdoor fireplace that we use alot. The place I buy my firewood is the same way. I've been buying from them for yrs and I think I've seen the person once. They have a sign there asking you to just leave the money in the door.
That kinda says a lot about the people around here.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,358,016 times
I once went to a samll grocery store in my area, kinda like a big deli with a few aisles...well I was planning on paying by check and when I opened my checkbook, I had no check's left. I then offered my credit card. The lady insisted that I should not use my credit card, told me the next time I was driving by, just stop in. I had over $30. worth of groceries that she just let me walk out the door with, and she had never seen me before. I Thanked her profusely and stopped by the next day.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I once went to a samll grocery store in my area, kinda like a big deli with a few aisles...well I was planning on paying by check and when I opened my checkbook, I had no check's left. I then offered my credit card. The lady insisted that I should not use my credit card, told me the next time I was driving by, just stop in. I had over $30. worth of groceries that she just let me walk out the door with, and she had never seen me before. I Thanked her profusely and stopped by the next day.
I LOVE that story PA..........Nice to hear some wonderful stories of PA..
This makes me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania