Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauledward View Post
I spent many years living in Philadelphia and for the most part enjoyed the experience! Unfortunately, the city has become largely black and uneducated and the city's image has
taken a dive as a result! I got tired of walking in center city at night and having to be careful
not to get mugged by all the young black hoodlums all around! I lived in South Philly and it was
damn depressing to hear all that loud ghetto music and trash talk coming from these people at all
hours of the day and nite! I finally moved to Doylestown and am much happier! Because its very
expensive to live in Doylestown, I'm sure that will be a major deterrent from inner city blacks from moving in anytime soon! We can only hope that will be the case!
Sounds like a win/win to me. You're happy in Doylestown and Center City's enlightenment quotient took a jump up with your departure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
The number of blacks may have slightly decreased in Pittsburgh (I kind of doubt that). If it is true, it's because several of the areas that the blacks lived in have declined, and the areas were redeveloped. The people were displaced to areas just outside of Pittsburgh. I think if you look at the population numbers in Allegheny County (the county that Pittsburgh is in) l bet you'll see a fair increase in the black population.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
I spent many years living in Philadelphia and for the most part enjoyed the experience! Unfortunately, the city has become largely black and uneducated and the city's image has
taken a dive as a result! I got tired of walking in center city at night and having to be careful
not to get mugged by all the young black hoodlums all around! I lived in South Philly and it was
damn depressing to hear all that loud ghetto music and trash talk coming from these people at all
hours of the day and nite! I finally moved to Doylestown and am much happier! Because its very
expensive to live in Doylestown, I'm sure that will be a major deterrent from inner city blacks from moving in anytime soon! We can only hope that will be the case!
You must have lived in Center City in the bizarro universe. Other than Market East and the gayborhood area I can't think of where you'd be talking about.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
This is looking at Allegheny County from the perspective of the 2000 census:

2000 Census information about southwestern Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

IDK but it seems that a black population decline figure of less than 2000 people could easily be accounted for by birth rates declining and just more elderly people from the Hill district dying and a few young blacks moving away. Also, Philadelphia has been seeing an influx of black immigrants over the past couple of decades as well as some African immigrants. African immigrants have the highest level of educational attainment of any group in the U.S. and many West Indian communities exhibit "model minority" characteristics so I don't know where the thug comments come in.

From what I am seeing in the census and prior estimates from 2008, the black household size is shrinking. I think outside of growth from black immigrants from developing countries (and their higher fertility rates), the native-born black population really isn't growing that much much in the same vein as native-born whites. Being that Pittsburgh really isn't much of an immigrant magnet anymore, it's not really surprising that the black population would actually decline slightly in concert with overall slight declines in black household size.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Philadelphia's population grew, so the fact that the black population grew shouldn't be surprising

Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
I got tired of walking in center city at night and having to be careful
hours of the day and nite!
I have lived in the Rittenhouse area for 20 years and you are so right. As our former mayor put it so accurately when he thought he was only among his "brothers"....."The brothers are running this city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no doubt, the number of educated people has actually increased since the last census. nothing against doylestown, which is nice, but it would be nice if people spread accurate information.
and that is because Philadelphia schools are getting better? LOL

Old 03-26-2011, 04:52 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The number of blacks may have slightly decreased in Pittsburgh (I kind of doubt that). If it is true, it's because several of the areas that the blacks lived in have declined, and the areas were redeveloped. The people were displaced to areas just outside of Pittsburgh. I think if you look at the population numbers in Allegheny County (the county that Pittsburgh is in) l bet you'll see a fair increase in the black population.
Looks like you're right on the nose with that....It's blacks moving outside the city poper into the suburbs...makes sense as whites are moving back into the city..

Blacks increase numbers in Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 03-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
This is looking at Allegheny County from the perspective of the 2000 census:

2000 Census information about southwestern Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

IDK but it seems that a black population decline figure of less than 2000 people could easily be accounted for by birth rates declining and just more elderly people from the Hill district dying and a few young blacks moving away. Also, Philadelphia has been seeing an influx of black immigrants over the past couple of decades as well as some African immigrants. African immigrants have the highest level of educational attainment of any group in the U.S. and many West Indian communities exhibit "model minority" characteristics so I don't know where the thug comments come in.

From what I am seeing in the census and prior estimates from 2008, the black household size is shrinking. I think outside of growth from black immigrants from developing countries (and their higher fertility rates), the native-born black population really isn't growing that much much in the same vein as native-born whites. Being that Pittsburgh really isn't much of an immigrant magnet anymore, it's not really surprising that the black population would actually decline slightly in concert with overall slight declines in black household size.
Or could it be Philadelphia is taking in what NYC is pushing out.....NYC is a very hard place for the Middle and Lower class and lets face it the majority of NYC lower class are of Latinos and Blacks, the main population that Philadelphia is picking up...

Its really not hard to figure this out.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Looks like you're right on the nose with that....It's blacks moving outside the city poper into the suburbs...makes sense as whites are moving back into the city..

Blacks increase numbers in Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
fwiw if philly were sliced in half to make it a similar size in sq miles to pittsburgh it too would have list black population. the core neighborhoods added whites, asians, and latinos while losing blacks....which means blacks must have mlved to formerly white semisuburban areas. suburbs defibitely saw an increase in blacks in the philly area. philly lost a lot of whites...wouldnt be surprised to find many moved to nyc among other places.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 AM

^^^^^ Right and if Pittsburgh proper took in all of the inner surrounding (City Neighborhood feeling) suburbs, black population probably would've held steady..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania