Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You just wont give it up will you....

Pittsburgh is not even in the top 10 of most segregated cities, Pittsburgh is more racially inclusive than alot of cities....

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/03/29/most_segregated_cities/slideshow.html

Outside of ghettos Pittsburgh does not have racial, nationality and lifestyle enclaves that many other cities possess...I consider this a plus!

Listen to what you are saying......you are actually happy that Pgh does not have a better mixture of races! There (since I have live there 30+ years) have never been a strong latino population or any other noticeble groups besides Polish, Italians, blacks, and jews. You think that this is good?

And actually AA in Allegheny County increased not decreased....So maybe just maybe you're having more successful blacks able to raise themselves out of the impoverished city ghettos to afford a better life amongst whites, Asians, and Indians living in the burbs...

It is not the ability to be able to "afford" anything many of them are being pushed OUT of the city into the 'burbs. Apparently you still have not done your research on the city that you report to know so well. Just for the record, not all of the blacks are doing so well that they can now move into better areas. The more affluent white dominated areas (Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, Squirrel Hill and parts of North Hills and Wexford) remain the same. Have they had increases in black population? I don't think so. The blacks that are moving out of the areas that they can no longer afford are moving into areas where the whites are fleeing in masse. Parts of Penn Hills and Monroeville are good examples of this. Perhaps you should take off the rose colored glasses they may be a little too tight

Blacks increase numbers in Western Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Oh by putting the the poor way out in the burbs, they are pushing those social services on the communities that least afford them while the city will be getting the working class people that can afford to live in the city and pay the higher taxes. Do you know how much busfare is right now? By putting the poor way out of the city limits and with PAT continously cutting service to certain communities it would leave them isolated in pockets of poverty. Just food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hopes, my love you KNOW that I know this as well. I was being sarcastic
Sometimes my sarcasm radar doesn't work late at night.

Quote:
I been to over 30 major cities and Pgh is the only large city with 13% or more black population that does not have a middle class SELF substaining AA neighborhood
Isn't that a good thing? That's what diversity is supposed to be! Everyone living together!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Listen to what you are saying......you are actually happy that Pgh does not have a better mixture of races! There (since I have live there 30+ years) have never been a strong latino population or any other noticeble groups besides Polish, Italians, blacks, and jews. You think that this is good?
Don't twist her words. She thinks it's a good thing that blacks are becoming less segregated in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
It is not the ability to be able to "afford" anything many of them are being pushed OUT of the city into the 'burbs. Apparently you still have not done your research on the city that you report to know so well. Just for the record, not all of the blacks are doing so well that they can now move into better areas. The more affluent white dominated areas (Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, Squirrel Hill and parts of North Hills and Wexford) remain the same. Have they had increases in black population? I don't think so. The blacks that are moving out of the areas that they can no longer afford are moving into areas where the whites are fleeing in masse. Parts of Penn Hills and Monroeville are good examples of this. Perhaps you should take off the rose colored glasses they may be a little too tight.
That's only partially true. There are many middle class and upper middle class blacks who are moving to the affluent white dominated neighborhoods. The increase might not show up in census statistics yet, but I've noticed a significant increase in the past few years.

I also know that some impoverished blacks are moving to these affluent neighborhoods too via programs that help them with rent. My girlfriend moved from the city projects to house in Upper St. Clair. (A real house, not a townhouse or apartment.)

She says it was the best thing that happened for her children. They are constantly invited to outings, events and vacations with their classmates' families---having experiences they would have never had in ghetto. She's so glad she made the decision to take the risk and relocate to an area that would provide her children with better opportunities.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sometimes my sarcasm radar doesn't work late at night.

Isn't that a good thing? That's what diversity is supposed to be! Everyone living together!
To a certain extent, I never had a probelm with everyone living together but in order for issues that focus on the black population, strength is in numbers. If there was a strong (politically/financial) AA population don'tcha think that we would have had a black mayor by now? How about more then 2 on city council at any given time? Maybe we would not have lost the only urban radio station that catered to our needs? How about more black successful businesses? Hopes I don't know if you are still there, but how about a nite life for the 35 and over crowd? Like I said before diversity is nice when it is done correctly, having a few scattered blacks in selective communities does not necessarily mean that it is diverse......sometimes it means that folks are just tolerant

Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't twist her words. She thinks it's a good thing that blacks are becoming less segregated in Pittsburgh.

Thats not what I read, I was talking about the overall population of Pgh and not just the few groups that I mentioned.

That's only partially true. There are many middle class and upper middle class blacks who are moving to the affluent white dominated neighborhoods. The increase might not show up in census statistics yet, but I've noticed a significant increase in the past few years.

I also know that some impoverished blacks are moving to these affluent neighborhoods too via programs that help them with rent. My girlfriend moved from the city projects to house in Upper St. Clair. (A real house, not a townhouse or apartment.)

She says it was the best thing that happened for her children. They are constantly invited to outings, events and vacations with their classmates' families---having experiences they would have never had in ghetto. She's so glad she made the decision to take the risk and relocate to an area that would provide her children with better opportunities.
I'm happy for her, St Clair was a terrible place to live (my niece was there for a couple of moths and they shot up her apt). This is nice, but like you said yourself it is'nt enough change to be noticeable statistically. Realize this also all of the other neighborhoods of wealth are not so understanding or accomodating.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime
I know exactly what I wrote, and its nothing of spin that you're putting on it....Pittsburgh doesnt have large enclaves of Races, Nationalities and Lifestyles outside of Ghettos. Pittsburgh is more inclusive than people give it credit for..

Do I want Pittsburgh to have a stronger Hispanic presences, YES!....Do I want Pittsburgh to have a Little Havana type enclaves...NO! its not needed, you can expreience the culture of one said race or nationality without having full enclaved neighborhoods of a signal race, nationality or lifestyle.

I like inclusive neighborhoods rather than segregated enclaves...

Quote:
It is not the ability to be able to "afford" anything many of them are being pushed OUT of the city into the 'burbs. Apparently you still have not done your research on the city that you report to know so well. Just for the record, not all of the blacks are doing so well that they can now move into better areas. The more affluent white dominated areas (Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, Squirrel Hill and parts of North Hills and Wexford) remain the same. Have they had increases in black population? I don't think so. The blacks that are moving out of the areas that they can no longer afford are moving into areas where the whites are fleeing in masse. Parts of Penn Hills and Monroeville are good examples of this. Perhaps you should take off the rose colored glasses they may be a little too tight
There are blacks living very well in Penn Hills, Monroeville, Bellevue, Moon and Coraopolis and other suburbs, sure some are being pushed into declining area such as Mckeesport due to the migration of Section 8...

But you also don't have proof that its all poor ghetto blacks that are the ones being pushed into declining burbs.

I've done plenty research on this, its you who come on here and try to paint the entire Pittsburgh area thru you narrow minded views and ingore facts that been laid out before you.

Quote:
Oh by putting the the poor way out in the burbs, they are pushing those social services on the communities that least afford them while the city will be getting the working class people that can afford to live in the city and pay the higher taxes. Do you know how much busfare is right now? By putting the poor way out of the city limits and with PAT continously cutting service to certain communities it would leave them isolated in pockets of poverty. Just food for thought
There's plenty of poor still right in the city...no one being pushed to the burbs its a choice, and more AA's are chosing to live in the Burbs....

PAT cut service to Wexford, McCandless, Robinson and Carnegie...hardly what I call proverty communities.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I know exactly what I wrote, and its nothing of spin that you're putting on it....Pittsburgh doesnt have large enclaves of Races, Nationalities and Lifestyles outside of Ghettos. Pittsburgh is more inclusive than people give it credit for..

Do I want Pittsburgh to have a stronger Hispanic presences, YES!....Do I want Pittsburgh to have a Little Havana type enclaves...NO! its not needed, you can expreience the culture of one said race or nationality without having full enclaved neighborhoods of a signal race, nationality or lifestyle.

I like inclusive neighborhoods rather than segregated enclaves...

There are blacks living very well in Penn Hills, Monroeville, Bellevue, Moon and Coraopolis and other suburbs, sure some are being pushed into declining area such as Mckeesport due to the migration of Section 8...

The well off blacks that live in Monroeville and certain parts of Penn hills are the ones that were already there and many of them can't sell their homes to leave. If you would ask anyone that has went to Penn Hills high they can tell you the difference between then and now. The school has and is going downhill. The property values are also going down. By the way I'm not making this stuff up my wife is a Penn Hills grad and a real estate agent in that area. This is not just white flight but well off blacks are fleeing also. Moon/Coraopolis is different, a very diverse area but I can't recall anyone that I know ever moving there from the city due to the distance from town.

But you also don't have proof that its all poor ghetto blacks that are the ones being pushed into declining burbs.

Fair enough, I will speak from the perspective of Hill district residents who have been forced to move due to redevelopement.

I've done plenty research on this, its you who come on here and try to paint the entire Pittsburgh area thru you narrow minded views and ingore facts that been laid out before you.

I'm just going by what I have seen, so if my reality is narrow minded what does that say about you research?

There's plenty of poor still right in the city...no one being pushed to the burbs its a choice, and more AA's are chosing to live in the Burbs....

PAT cut service to Wexford, McCandless, Robinson and Carnegie...hardly what I call proverty communities.
Wexford (1.4), McCandless (0.9), Carnegie (3.3), Robinson (1.9) and not what I would call an area with alot blacks living there either.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Wexford (1.4), McCandless (0.9), Carnegie (3.3), Robinson (1.9) and not what I would call an area with alot blacks living there either.
and yet Port Authority still cut service...so you've contradicted yourself by stating that the PAT cuts are targeting Poorer Suburbs with high AA population.......

Quote:
By putting the poor way out of the city limits and with PAT continously cutting service to certain communities it would leave them isolated in pockets of poverty. Just food for thought

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I been to over 30 major cities and Pgh is the only large city with 13% or more black population that does not have a middle class SELF substaining AA neighborhood
Boston
SF
Seattle
Detroit
Chicago

30 Cities Huh? well looks like you missed a few

Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
To a certain extent, I never had a probelm with everyone living together but in order for issues that focus on the black population, strength is in numbers. If there was a strong (politically/financial) AA population don'tcha think that we would have had a black mayor by now? How about more then 2 on city council at any given time?
Proximity isn't necessary for a strong black population. It's possible to organize from any location.

But the real problem is that many successful black professionals can't relate or don't want to relate to inner-city black issues.

Quote:
Maybe we would not have lost the only urban radio station that catered to our needs?
From what I understand, everyone is getting their hip hop elsewhere. The real stuff isn't played on the radio when there is a station. People want the stuff that can't be played on the radio.

Quote:
Like I said before diversity is nice when it is done correctly, having a few scattered blacks in selective communities does not necessarily mean that it is diverse......sometimes it means that folks are just tolerant
Tollerance is a start. The more exposed people are to other races, the more accepting they become. That goes for both sides of the fence. Isolating blacks doesn't help them understand whites either. We're not all out to get blacks. There's not a big conspiracy like you seem to believe. For example, your rants about port authority route cuts sounds like paranoia when many areas of the region experienced cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania