Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania's state income tax rate is a flat 3.07%. Illinois' state income tax used to be the only one lower (3%), but now it's much higher (5%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Yes, but PA residents (mainly Rendell-haters) will continue to moan and complain about how high our taxes are and how expensive it is to live here.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
What do you want, a medal?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What do you want, a medal?
What is the point of your post? If you don't have anything constructive or profound (or at least on point) to say (and you never have anything constructive to say about PA), then don't say anything.

The problem with the fact that we have the lowest rate is that, in many ways, it shows. Our schools are underfunded, our roads and bridges are underfunded, our business taxes are too high and discourage job growth, and we have too many nuisance taxes. I'm not saying I want to pay more in personal income tax but I can't help but think that some of our taxes are too low and this comes at the expense of other taxes, which are too high.

Of course, neither party in PA seems able to run anything efficiently anyway.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
just want rendell to go away!! most likely that the residents are supporting two cities...

Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
just want rendell to go away!! most likely that the residents are supporting two cities...
I doubt it, although everyone argues this either from one side or the other. Can anyone prove that the sum of all the individual, business, and real estate taxes that PA collects from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is less than what these 2 cities receive back from PA?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
pa may have the lowest rate but its not the lowest taxed state. under rendell spending has outpaced inflation and devt has skyrocketed. most municipalities have their own income taxes on top of the states plus property taxes. i doubt the income tax rate has anything to so with the unreasonably high cni which most businesses avoid. in fact..the high business taxes are what causing the high property taxes as it results in fewer.jobs and less business tax revenue. nys has higher taxes and better schools yet theyre in worse shape than pa.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Most cities are running big deficits and several of the larger cities are financially in peril. Not to mention school districts wanting to raise taxes. So we are looking at tax increases. I read about states with zero income tax and as much as I love Pa I'd probably change residency if I ever won the lottery.
Hopefully we can someday end the homeowners tax for school tax and go to a sales tax. Sam Rohrer has the right idea but only a few forward thinking counties support the plan. The rest of Pa is still in the dark.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pennsylvania's state income tax rate is a flat 3.07%. Illinois' state income tax used to be the only one lower (3%), but now it's much higher (5%).
What is your source?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I read about states with zero income tax and as much as I love Pa I'd probably change residency if I ever won the lottery.
I grew up in Lancaster County and now live in NV, a state with no income tax. Our property taxes are very reasonable, but we do get nailed on car registration fees - often $300-500 per year, depending on the value of your vehicle. That said, our overall tax burden is very low when compared to other places I've lived.

We get a lot of transplants who left CA because of high taxes. One common theme we hear from some of them (and others who left high tax states) is "In CA, we had a program for XYZ. I cannot believe they do not have that here." Duh! The general response is "if you want CA type of laws and services, move to CA. But don't expect it here. We like things the way they are."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What is your source?
Ill. Gov. Quinn signs major tax increase into law - BusinessWeek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania