Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM

563 posts, read 929,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The younger (working-age) population is not shrinking in Pennsylvania, contrary to popular myth.
Where did you learn that? Everything I've read indicates the opposite. I did a simple Google search and came up with this;

Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Where did you learn that? Everything I've read indicates the opposite. I did a simple Google search and came up with this;

Pennsylvania
Those are projections, which means they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Since about 2005, Pennsylvania has experienced net positive domestic migration. I seriously doubt that it's all old people moving in.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 AM

563 posts, read 929,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Those are projections, which means they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Since about 2005, Pennsylvania has experienced net positive domestic migration. I seriously doubt that it's all old people moving in.
Again, what is the source of your info?

See what the US Census Bureau says;
Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-comp-chg.html - broken link)

The Cumulative Estimate from 2000 - 2009 reflects a net domestic migration decline of over 40,000 people.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
There are downsides to every place and for me in PA it's the demographics. I would have a harder time living here if I didn't travel for work. You get "institutionalized" in a way, with so many old folks around, that when I go other places sometimes it is a shock all the young people about.

Not that I mind old folks at all, just that there isn't much vibrant energy about with a view towards a positive future. It's also not like what I experienced in Colorado, with many people hiking into their 80's and living an active life. Here people act like they are ready to be put out to pasture at 40 and they look it too.

I often wonder what the state will look like when the WW2 generation passes on.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I often wonder what the state will look like when the WW2 generation passes on.
More youthful and vibrant.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
From what I'm hearing PA is fast becoming a more popular retirement state than Florida. A lot of people from NY/NJ are retiring or moving to PA. I'm a native of PA, was born, raised and educated there, after college I left because I could not find a decent job in the high tech field. I live in South Florida currently and in comparison to PA the amount of Elderly is not much different from when I lived in PA. The biggest thing/difference is seeing older wealthy people here compared to people in PA who are not on average so well off. The problem with Florida is it's not as affordable as it once was.

Baby Boomers are retiring, should say those that can, in great numbers this year and for the next 15 or so it will ramp up. I don't see much of a end to this trend.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
A lot of people from surrounding states in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic like the idea of retiring in PA because there's no tax on pensions, the cost of living is cheaper, the quality of life is better, good hospitals in Pittsburgh and Philly, the traffic is not as bad in the state, and they are still nearby to their families.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I've thought of this state also for the reasons people have listed. No tax on pensions, lower COL and proximity to the Northeast. I am originally from Mass. Plus I think PA is a nice state compared to many I have seen in my lifetime. However I would want to be near a city but not right in its heart. I would want trails to walk on and decent parks and gyms. I would want good medical and shopping areas nearby. I would want some form of transit. Even if its no more than a bus system, as long as its not one of these once an hour type.

Where is this place? I wouldn't want to be in Metro Philly that is way to big and crowded for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: