U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 19,345 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to hear from those living in the Collegeville area regarding the recent incident at Superior Tube (i.e., 2400 lbs of TCE was accidentally released into the air). I'm baffled why the DEP continues to treat this company (and Acellent) differently than others in PA - the area is obviously growing by leaps but this kind of thing can quickly diminish that growth (and accelerate departures) if something isn't done soon. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM

Wow - something this serious and not a peep from anyone. Is this the proverbial head-in-the-sand mindset or is no one from this area?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,680,290 times
It worries me a little (I live about 1/4 mile from one of these plants, and 2 miles from the other). However, I'm very glad that this information is out, as both plants have committed to significantly reducing their emissions. Supposedly they'll reduce emissions by up to 80%.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Glad to hear from you. I guess my biggest concern is that the DEP is making this a voluntary request rather than a mandate like with most other companies. Hopefully this accident will get these two companies more focused on doing a better job of reducing these emissions - we're still way above the national average, which means they got some work ahead of them. We have to keep the pressure on.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,991 times
We just moved from the Collegeville area. We lived just a few minutes down the road from Superior Tube in Evansburg State Park. I personally find it very threatening what is going on in Montgomery County, with all of the superfund sites, and companies like Superior Tube. Our children were very unhealthy while we lived in the park there. We used well water, and I was convinced that one of our children was suffering from toxicity. She has begun to improve since our move, thankfully. I cannot prove that this was the cause, but all indications point that way. The area is growing at an alarming rate, but I ask myself the same question. Do people moving in check the stats on what's going on? We are northern bound just as soon as we can afford the move!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,221 times
For the most important and up to date information on this topic all users of this forum may refer to my Blog. I have reported on the TCE and DEP topic of this region for three years now. Some of my reporting has been in the newspapers but most is on my Blog.

http://jongoodman.blogspot.com/

Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,890 times
This worries me a lot! I just moved my hole family from Sweden to Skippack. I have several questions regarding the high levels of TCE in our area, but don't really know who to talk to. Some of the questions are:
Will there be another meeting soon? Will it be possible to do tests continuously in the our area? What can I as a resident do? How dangerous is it? What is going on right now?

Maria

Old 10-21-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Another incident - what is going on with this company?

I just read a few days ago that Superior Tubes spilled 12 gallons of the stuff inside the facility - they just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I have zero condifidence in this company's ability to run its business safely.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,680,290 times
As a result of this latest spill, some of our politicians are calling for Superior to basically close the shop and move. I must say that's the first time I've ever heard a politician publicly lambast an employer located in their district.

This is a response I received from the Governor's office after sending an email. You can also send emails to Mike Vereb and Andy Dinniman, and Rafferty?? state politicians in the district.

Thank you for writing to Governor Rendell concerning the issue of TCE emissions in the Collegeville area in Montgomery County.

The Rendell Administration is taking this issue on at all levels: We have led the legal charge against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and are pushing for a reversal of their unacceptable action in exempting the narrow tube industry from further emission reductions of trichloroethylene (TCE). We have been successful in securing immediate action from the two narrow tube industries that have been of particular concern—namely Superior Tube and Accellent. Our work with these companies has already resulted in a 22 percent reduction at Superior through chemical formulation changes, with another eight percent reduction on the way as they install further control equipment. At Accelent, new control equipment will achieve at least a 30 percent reduction. It is important to note that the process and equipment changes that are being made at Superior and Accelent will be memorialized in the permits governing those facilities and will, therefore, be legally binding and enforceable.

Statewide action is also needed so that other sources of TCE in the commonwealth can better be controlled as well. Therefore, Governor Rendell has directed the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to develop a statewide regulation that will achieve very substantial emission reductions. The DEP will look forward to input, such as yours, as the draft regulation makes its way through the formal regulatory development process. Since the regulatory process in Pennsylvania is a lengthy one, Governor Rendell feels quite strongly that the actions noted above at the federal level and directly with the companies are also imperative so that families are protected in real time.

By working together and taking action on all fronts, we can and will ensure the clean environment that families in Pennsylvania deserve and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>