Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM

440 posts, read 771,898 times

Advertisements

I am into whitewater kayaking and fishing and would like to live near the Ohiopyle River.
Are there any nice cities nearby to live and work? city needs to be med to large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:34 PM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times
Morgantown, WV or Pittsburgh, PA.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM

783 posts, read 2,013,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I am into whitewater kayaking and fishing and would like to live near the Ohiopyle River.
Are there any nice cities nearby to live and work? city needs to be med to large.

Uniontown, PA would be the closest place to work. Most people that I know who live around there work in Uniontown. That's where you'd go for shopping, food, etc. A lot of people own small businesses in the ohiopyle area too, like little restaurants, craft shops, bait stores, bed and breakfast joints, etc. But those are mostly family-owned joints and I doubt you could find decent employment there. Another option would be Morgantown, WV. West Virginia University is there, along with Ruby Memorial Hospital, so there's a lot of options for employment. If you're looking for the nearest major city, it would be Pittsburgh, but that's about 60 miles or so from Ohiopyle. You could certainly buy a home in Farmington, PA or somewhere near Ohiopyle and work in Morgantown with a very short commute. Check online for homes in Uniontown, PA. Usually they have an option for "mountain area" homes. It's a beautiful location, very isolated too so know what you're getting into. Rt. 40 is not a great highway at at all. Very scenic though, but they often shut it down in the winter when weather gets bad. Also, cell reception can be spotty in some areas. I love that area, Yough Lake is also nice. Nemacolin down the road has a great golf course, Christian Klay winery is nice, and 7 springs is a very nice ski resort. Lot of decent stuff on Rt. 40, but it's mostly for tourists or people that live in Uniontown or Morgantown. You could find a place to live in Markleysburg, Confluence, Chalk Hill, or Farmington, but you'd have to drive a decent way for employment or get extremely lucky....or, open your own business. Despite the beauty, that's a tough area for nice employment. If you're retired with a few bucks you can't find a better place to live out the rest of your days though...except maybe the Bahamas.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM

62 posts, read 160,201 times
Pittsburgh is your best bet. There is also Greensburg, but that is definitely a small city. You may also try Ligonier, not exactly a city, but a very nice town.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Thank you for all your suggestions, I will start doing research on those places.

BTW, Love2golf, are you saying you think Markleysburg, Confluence, Chalk Hill, or Farmington are as nice place to live as the Bahamas?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM

783 posts, read 2,013,186 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your suggestions, I will start doing research on those places.

BTW, Love2golf, are you saying you think Markleysburg, Confluence, Chalk Hill, or Farmington are as nice place to live as the Bahamas?
I thought that was an obvious joke. No, Markleysburg is not the Bahamas. Although sometimes you may feel like you're on an isolated island, far away from normal, sane, human beings.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
There are cities near Ohiopyle State Park?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
There are cities near Ohiopyle State Park?
Yes, If you own a car.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
Quote:
Yes, If you own a car.
But I own a truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania