U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM

90,351 posts, read 115,768,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree about graduating from High School being the equivalent to passing A levels. You can actually graduate from public high schools with a D avg. As long as you pass the classes that are required for graduation you will graduate.
I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but if that is the college entrance route, it's similar. It is possible to go to a community college in most places with a HS diploma w/o having taken a college prep curriculum or having any specific GPA.

Quote:
I generally like the education here in the US but I think it's very telling that many of my daughters friends that graduated with ed degrees last year are choosing not to teach in the public school systems.
Have they said why? Just curious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM

13,182 posts, read 31,916,046 times
I haven't talked to my daughters friends but my daughter found in the two public schools she student taught that the schools were geared too much on teaching to the test, the curriculum was pretty much set in stone and teachers hands were tied regarding discipline. She also student taught in a private school and found that the teachers there were putting into practice the things she had been taught as "best practices" in college and in general were given freer reign to explore topics when students showed an interest.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM

^^^ That's interesting.

Re: the OP's question, there is a "British Friends Primary School" in Boulder, Colorado. I know nothing about it, other than it exists (at least I think it still exists). I think your only options would be private schools. You might try google.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 AM

367 posts, read 1,625,499 times
I have two children both in high school. One is in IB one is not. The one in IB is learning so much more in depth, using research and having to prepare and make oral presentations. The traditional school student is doing a lot less, though he has some 'honor' classes. Both will graduate, one will have a higher weighted GPA because of IB and I think that is fair. Colleges do look at ACT/SAT but some people do not test well. A student that has done comprehensive study via IB against a student who has graduated with all A's not necessarily all honor/AP is not the same. I can see this from personal experience. As for European over American schooling, they are different, but still the US manages to turn out very brilliant and innovative people. I do agree that teaching here appears to others to be more American with regard to geog/history etc., but when I was learning history and geog in Britain, typically we studied from our perspective too, so we studied the colonies (which by then did not include the USA )
and history from our point of view. It was interesting to learn about the war of independence from your side, when I started reading my children's American textbooks

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 AM

493 posts, read 1,720,439 times
Thanks Spainbrit. Our son will be starting 6th grade at a school that has the IB program from elementary right through to high school. As we are British we are aware that our kids (we have three others) may want to go to university in Britian and knew that they could be unable to do that if they had just finished high school with SATs. Also, I prefer the international education that you get with the IB. How does your child at the IB school cope with all of the extra work?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 PM

Straight from the University of Colorado Office of Admissions (from a letter my daughter received today):

"Your college or school makes the final determination of how your transfer credits apply toward your degree/graduation requirements."

This includes AP/IB. Nothing is automatic.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 11,741 times
Hi,

I stumbled upon this topic when posting my own on the NYC forum.
Thank you for the informative thoughts.
I was also wondering if your perspectives have might have been tested by time since originally postings of 2007/2008?

Regards.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 627 times
Does anyone know of a British School in colorado that teaches the english curriculum ie:GCSEs and A levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania