Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,906,019 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I am planning to travel from DC to Pitt to visit some friends during August. I just wanted to know about the quality of Amtrak's train in PA. I'm taking the Capitol Limited, as well as Regional Service to Philly and the Pennsylvanian to and from the burg. I used to take Greyhound to visit my friends beforehand, but I'm really getting sick of its lack of service and quality. I just wanted to know about the reliability, quality, and scenery of these trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM

59 posts, read 310,831 times
It will be the most scenic train ride of your life...once you make it past the Harrisburg area. Until then, its sort of like going through one huge winding metroplex of suburbs. The pennsylvanian is a must for any railroad person. The trip through the alleghenies is great, horseshoe curve, the ride through Cambria county down the mountains past little towns like south fork and portage and cresson, the history of johnstown, then the city of pittsburgh itself, which is my favorite city. I've seen the big ones, but there's no place like Pittsburgh.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 PM

522 posts, read 1,788,997 times
It will also be one of the slowest. Aren't there a dozen or more stops on that train? I remember a friend took an Amtrak from Philly to Pittsburgh via Harrisburg once and it took...14 HOURS. I hope they have better direct service nowadays

Cap

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,602,078 times
Service between Philly and Harrisburg is high-speed and electrified now, reaching top speeds of 110mph and it does the trip in 90 minutes. But Harrisburg to Pittsburgh is old fashioned diesel, with only two trains a day.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:23 AM

471 posts, read 1,654,957 times
Is there a reason you are going through Philly rather than taking the Capitol Limited direct from DC?
I've ridden both trains many times and seeing the Horseshoe curve is the only reason I would consider taking that longer route involving a change of trains.
The capitol limited is a nicer train and has some nice scenery going through Harper's Ferry. It has a diner and checked baggage available. The Pennsy has only a snack car-and the last time I took the train it was closed.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,906,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
Is there a reason you are going through Philly rather than taking the Capitol Limited direct from DC?
I've ridden both trains many times and seeing the Horseshoe curve is the only reason I would consider taking that longer route involving a change of trains.
The capitol limited is a nicer train and has some nice scenery going through Harper's Ferry. It has a diner and checked baggage available. The Pennsy has only a snack car-and the last time I took the train it was closed.
The Capitol Limited, although is a direct service, arrives at Pitt at around midnight (compared to the Pennsylvanian's arrival at 8 pm). Although I wouldn't mind taking the Capitol Limited, especially for the scenery, the schedules for it are even more inconvenient than the Pennsylvanian.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 PM

471 posts, read 1,654,957 times
If the timing for arrival is most important, then go that route. As long as there are no connection problems and you are comfortable with a longer time on board the train, it should be fine.
Pack some snacks, just in case the snack bar is closed-or if you are thrifty or on a tight budget. I always take something to read, but never do, as I end up watching the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania