Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,996 times

Advertisements

I was laid-off - my job as Electronics Technician at a local, family-run business on Jan. 01/10. My last two jobs (including that one, both in the same field) were continuous for 24 years, bench work mainly, and both terminated due to closings. Out of desperation, desiring to be gainfully employed gain, i accepted a job in industry. The job was mainly running a plasma cutting machine, "heavy steel" type of work. Cranes, hard-hats (not even discussed, mentioned or told of station locations containing them, prior to or during consideration for the position, even though they were mandatory as per company handbook and not one single person during the shift wore one) I had reservations about accepting the job but did want to get off of unemployment. After the first shift, i quit voluntarily. I have chronic hypertension, (the required physical also would reflect this fact) and my Doctor has already written a letter for my hearing confirming this, that i am to avoid stress. This job, and it's responsibilities, re:heavy labor, were not anything i had ever been acclimated to.
While on a "tour" of the plant prior to being hired, the shop supervisor asked me if I had any factory experience. I replied that i had, but it was totally not similar in nature. (it was piece work, over 25 years ago, admittedly boring but not stressful, drilling holes in small pieces of wood at the rate of 300 per hour)
The resume on which my acceptance - submitted, had no mention of that "industry" job. (i have noted that on my appeal submission form) One of the "finding of facts" on my initial denial of benefits letter stated that i had told employer i had prior experience in the field. This is simply not true.
My claim does not even go against the recent employer - it was EUC, and fell back on that.
I suspect it will not be worth the recent employer's time to even attend the hearing, considering the main argument against me is verbal, also they have no monetary reason for questioning my claim, and the copy of the resume submitted to attain the job will be presented by me and irrefutable by the employer, at said hearing.
Also, there were additional responsibilities placed on me upon arrival for the shift which were never discussed prior to hiring which would also require additional training.
Fact is i quit mainly because the job was overwhelming, and i DID NOT have any prior training or experience in accordance with PA. UCP-41 rev 8-08.
any opinion greatly appreciated.
I start a new job this coming Monday morning, bench work, and consider myself fortunate to have attained two jobs in little over a month's time. I have continued to claim benefits online, and will do so again tomorrow, Sunday, 02-27-11.
sorry for such a long post.

Last edited by cygnus58; 02-26-2011 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM

200 posts, read 620,495 times
was there a question in there somewhere?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,996 times
not specifically. wanting opinion as to the possible outcome.
Thanks anyway!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania