Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 22,251 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm new to the board. I'm looking for the best city in PA closest to NYC. My husband will be commuting back and forth. No more than a 1 1/2 hour commute. We have 6 children from 1 - 16 years old. We are looking for a nice friendly area. Where it is quiet and culturally diverse. We hope to find a nice area but nothing expensive. We have a hugh family Anybody know of any good places for a large family on abudget?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,832 times
[quote=simplysweet2u;1128517]Hello all,

I'm new to the board. I'm looking for the best city in PA closest to NYC. My husband will be commuting back and forth. No more than a 1 1/2 hour commute. We have 6 children from 1 - 16 years old. We are looking for a nice friendly area. Where it is quiet and culturally diverse. We hope to find a nice area but nothing expensive. We have a hugh family Anybody know of any good places for a large family on abudget.

You should look in the Bethlehem area or just north of Easton. There have been alot of topics in the forum on theses areas. One thing is you can forget about the 1 1/2 hr commute to NYC. Unless you are doing it at really off hours, meaning before 4:30am and returning by 3pm , the drive is anywhere from 1hr 45 min to 2 1/2 hrs. There are some busses that make the trip along the rt 78 corridor but the thing is once you count your drive to the bus, and the ride in and then getting from the bus terminal to your job it can easily be 2 hours plus and thats on a good day. Rain, snow , accidents and even sun glare can make the trip from the Pa border on 78 to the Lincoln Tunnel take an 1hr 45 min plus. Friday afternoons leaving the city could take 2 to 3 hrs to the Pa border. Do the trip during rush hour as a test. Its the only way to see what you would be facing.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times
I'm in the same boat as simplysweet, the amount of children and all. I had noticed that many people answered and had said E. Stroudsburg would be good. My boss does this commute, but says the snow can cause problems. Once she was even stuck and had to stay in a hotel because the roads had closed. I'm still considering the move. Most of us have almost a 2hr commute anyway and live in this expensive city. I'm definitely going to do a test run during the rush.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
I would consider Lower Bucks county - 10/20 mins drive up 95 to Trenton or Hamilton Stations Park n Rides and you could commute using NJT and the express trains are about 90 min to Penn Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania