Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:10 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,558,244 times

Advertisements

I am originally from NY then Joisey, currently packing up my home in Florida and going to be moving the Pike County. Any other NY, NJ folks doing the same?
We are a fun bunch of people. Loud, but very helpful and loving!

To all the local PA folks: Please do not judge us because some people you have met were not to your liking. Everybody is a unique individual. We all have different personalities. Give us a chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Smile Don't Mess Things Up, and We'll Love Y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
I am originally from NY then Joisey, currently packing up my home in Florida and going to be moving the Pike County. Any other NY, NJ folks doing the same?
We are a fun bunch of people. Loud, but very helpful and loving!

To all the local PA folks: Please do not judge us because some people you have met were not to your liking. Everybody is a unique individual. We all have different personalities. Give us a chance!

Rosanna, I couldn't have possibly said it any better myself! We're all unique in our own special ways, and it's wrong to stereotype someone based upon a negative reaction you may have had in the past to another person with a similar background. Personally, I've made just as many friends with ex-NY/NJ folks as I have with homegrown Pennsylvanians now that I'm immersed in the college environment where they're very much in abundance! Besides, if nothing else, you have to love the cute accents---My ex-boyfriend was from Brooklyn, and I'd intentionally force him to say coffee and water just so I could get that gushy feeling inside! That's the one gripe I have about the Scranton area; we don't have awesome accents!
I hope you come to love our area as much as I do!

P.S. The only reason that NY/NJ transplants are in conflict with the native Pennsylvanians is that many of the transplants are moving to rural, wooded areas and DEMANDING Starbucks, Abercrombie & Fitch, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc. If you're moving to a slower pace of life in order to improve your family's standards of living, then why jeopardize that by demanding more amenities that will lead to more materialism, pollution, and traffic congestion? The same thing happened to NJ when the NYers started taking over, and now that trend is starting to happen in NEPA where we're getting the double-whammy of NY/NJ all at once! If you just enjoy our area for all it has to offer without pining for a Cheesecake Factory or Banana Republic on every corner (Monroe County has both to my knowledge anyways), then the locals will accept you with open arms! Try to call us rednecks for not patronizing Armani Exchange or sipping lattes, then you're going to get a negative backlash! LOL! Now, from what I can tell, you're far from a "snooty" NYer, so you should fit in just fine!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:56 PM

I don't want all those darn stores near me. If I need a cawfee fix, I will head out to where the stores are!!! LOL

CAWFEE!!!!!!! Wawter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL

Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,079,288 times
Whatever you do, don't try to drive down 209 towards Matamoras on a Friday night...everyone going to the school for high school football clogs the path to Walmart LOL!

Take 84 instead....

They will hate you for being able to afford a nicer home than them, but that is tough... You will be able to spot a fellow NYer on New Joisian from a mile away.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 PM

Talking I believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Whatever you do, don't try to drive down 209 towards Matamoras on a Friday night...everyone going to the school for high school football clogs the path to Walmart LOL!

Take 84 instead....

They will hate you for being able to afford a nicer home than them, but that is tough... You will be able to spot a fellow NYer on New Joisian from a mile away.

That's how it is down here in Florida now. We migrate to one another!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM

84 posts, read 316,666 times
Amen ScrantonWilkesBarre! That is exactly what I have been saying all along also.
By the way, having spent most of my life in New Jersey (before moving to Pa.) somthing confuses me. I have never heard anyone call it "Joisey" who actually lived in the state. Where did that come from anyway? Just wondering. It has always been New Jersey where I grew up. I never could
understand that.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:28 PM

I dunno where Joisey came from either. Maybe from one of the movies.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 AM

13 posts, read 128,788 times
As I sit here in my Hoboken, New Jersey office, I will tell you that the Joisey thing came from Brooklyners. They same wonderful people who brought us ter-lets (toilets) and berler werter (boiled water).

Having been born in Luzerne County and having made the migration to jobs in NY, I recall it took me several years of Speech and Diction classes to lose the "dawg" and "water" sounds of my youth.

Funny, when I am here, people ask what my accent is... and when I am back home, people want to know what my accent is. LOL.. I tell them it's European, but, wait... Europeans say I sound like "The Nanny"::: inserting a very nasal :::: haaaa hhhaaaaa hhaaaaaaa.

Linda

Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,699,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInWestPittston View Post
As I sit here in my Hoboken, New Jersey office, I will tell you that the Joisey thing came from Brooklyners. They same wonderful people who brought us ter-lets (toilets) and berler werter (boiled water).

Having been born in Luzerne County and having made the migration to jobs in NY, I recall it took me several years of Speech and Diction classes to lose the "dawg" and "water" sounds of my youth.

Funny, when I am here, people ask what my accent is... and when I am back home, people want to know what my accent is. LOL.. I tell them it's European, but, wait... Europeans say I sound like "The Nanny"::: inserting a very nasal :::: haaaa hhhaaaaa hhaaaaaaa.

Linda

Where in Hoboken do you work? I went to college in Wilkes-Barre, and tried to get a job in the Valley but that was impossible.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:27 PM

Ok, Dawg, let's go get some Wawter! I sound like Carmela Soprano!!!
Really! Maybe I will be silent. That's a great idea!!!! I will just shake my head yes or no!!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania