Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM

15 posts, read 66,128 times

Advertisements

Little town, edge of national forest, small university, low house prices. What's not to like? Really? This town looks really good! I am researching little towns all over the place and this one caught my eye. Would this be a good place to bring a big family? My husband works from home, but not with a huge paycheck. We need a low cost of living in a place where I can finish school when my youngest gets in school.

How are the schools in Bradford? Is it a safe, nice, happy place? Are any gangs present, or drug use? I know meth is moving into a lot of rural areas, is this one of them? Are the seasons nice here? A reasonable amount of snow? I like snow, but don't want to be stuck all winter.

Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 PM

30 posts, read 130,759 times
If you like small towns, Bradford is it. It's been 10 years since I've been there, but it didn't change much in the 20 I was there.

Home of Zippo Lighters is about all it's known for. GORGEOUS forests in the area. You'll need 4WD to get around in the winter. Snows A LOT! Bradford is known as the "icebox of Pa" recording some of the coldest temps. McKean county specifically Kane, is the only place I've ever been where it snowed in July! Didn't stick, but it snowed!

Love the area in the summer, hate it in the winter, which unfortunately lasts from Sept 1- June 1.

Not a bad town as far as gangs, violence, drugs. Not a lot of any of that, but your usual small town pockets of it. Most of the first two are related to the last anyway.

Jobs may be hard to come by unless you work in the health field or tend bar.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:55 PM

54 posts, read 225,807 times
Bradford is nice. but i would look in to ST.Marys! it is about 1 hour south and you can continue education there becuase they have classes in St.Marys from pitt bradford, penn state dubois, lock haven, and edinboro. definatly low costs and a great school! i heard that bradford was into meth alot and st.marys is the same size and not alot of crime. Snow in st.Marys is a little bit lower than braford but you wont get stuck. ST.MARYS! look it up! and it has a great brewery STRAUB named one of the best places to drink beer.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 124,652 times
Why do you want to live in Bradford? There are plenty of great places in PA. I would look a little south because the winters in Bradford are pretty harsh. Also, you would be isolated from much in the way of culture. I live near Pittsburgh. We are near ski resorts, amusement parks, many, many colleges, Pittsburgh nightlife, professional sports teams such as the Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins. From where I live, I could attend Penn State ( I could walk),Pitt, Carlow, Geneva, Slippery Rock, Westminster, Robert Morris, and La Roche. I'm sure I missed some. I could drive to Pittsburgh in 35 minutes or to Slippery Rock or Westminster in 45 minutes. I live in Beaver County in Pennsylvania. Low taxes and small towns abound here. Look around. Beaver and Monaca are just two towns.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 PM

22 posts, read 75,204 times
You don't say where you live now but unless it's Minnesota or Vermont, I don't think you'll like Bradford's weather. Maybe you'd like the Latrobe area? Saint Vincent's, Fallingwater, beautiful countryside, Ohiopyle state park not far away. See www.laurelhighlands.org.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,160 times
Default Born & Raised there

I was born and raised in Bradford. Quiet little town, some stuff to do but it's more geared toward middle-aged and older folks (Zippo Days, Crook Farm Fair). Being fairly young myself, I chose to ditch the several-feet of snow winters and move to Virginia. There's more culture and nicer weather down here. As for crime in Bradford, it's very low. Outside of a robbery (usually convenience stores) once every year or two, there's a local place that attempts to fix troubled youth, but usually just spits them onto the streets of Bradford. They do occasional vandalism, but nothing major. If you like to fish, golf, or hike, it's a great place til November, then you freeeeeeeeeeeeze!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 PM

272 posts, read 908,856 times
I was born and raised in Bradford, too. Schools are good, but lots of drugs in the area. Not much for entertainment anymore, though. When I was younger, there was a lot. Now I'm a Sr. citizen, and I really miss "home". Quiet life, nice people, low crime, beautiful countryside.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 33,110 times
bradford my hometown also. live in kane now. forget kane by the way, but, agree with all of the above posts, but have to add, warren, pa. is great little town also. the winters here are punitive. lonnnng. great up to the holidays, then, january to may gets very old. yes, it does snow in july in kane, and, the place is cold in more ways than one. i am looking to relocate near pittsburgh in a small town near there myself. makes sense. good luck!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
If you're a chess addict, Bradford is the best in the area around. St. Bonas may start a competitive club up again next year, but naturally the people who plan to start that one have direct connections to the ones in Bradford. Bradford is where it's at for chess in that area, also home to the 1st chess camp ever which unfortunately is no longer around.

Beautiful trails, some things to do here and there.
Close to gambling, but far enough to be away from all that hustle and bustle. Near the Allegheny State Park too!

St. Mary's is very nice too. Bradford or St. Mary's, you can't go wrong. I don't think I'd say one is better than the other. It depends on what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania