U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM

4,264 posts, read 10,162,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Raccoon Creek and Jennings are typical Western PA, nothing special. * * * I don't know why Cherry Springs is on the list? Anywhere in the Black Forest of PA is just as desolate and star-struck.
Well, Jennings does have the relict prairie which is fairly unique for PA.

As far as Cherry Springs, well they have nothing but stars so they frequently have folks pointing them out. Kinda like Hawk Mountain, the raptors fly along a lot of the ridges of PA but only there is there a fellow with a bullhorn pointing them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,116 times
Presque Isle does not charge admission.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,061,345 times
I've been to the ones from Cook Forest west. I understand why Jennings is on there, but I'd put Linn Run ahead of that or Raccoon Creek. My parents have a place at Pymatuning, so maybe I'm just familiar with it so it's boring to me.

That said, I'm probably to Raccoon Creek every other week or so during the summer and love it.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM

28,192 posts, read 21,891,679 times
Is Cherry Springs worth the drive?

We are also interested in seeing the relic prairie at Jennings.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,061,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is Cherry Springs worth the drive?

We are also interested in seeing the relic prairie at Jennings.
Jennings is cool, but it's a pretty small park--personally, I don't spend a whole long time there. I'd plan to also get to nearby McConnells Mills or Moraine when you're there to make it a fuller trip.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,621 times
Presque Isle is beautiful, but you can't stay in the park. It's near Erie, right on the lake. There is a wonderful park there for kids called Waldameer. A small amusement park for kids under 12.
Pymatuning is 1 hr from Erie, and Presque Isle. Great camping, boating, fishing, and water activities. Some good hikes. It has a fish hatchery. There is also a separate area where you can feed the fish. There are so many that they claim the ducks walk on the fishes backs, and they do.

Ohiopyle is my favorite. Known for French and Indian war history, whitewater rafting (best in PA), natural waterslides, beautiful hikes, a great bike trail that goes for miles. If you're an active person, this is your place. Campsites are nice, and bath houses are average. Great educational activities given by the park rangers in all parks (on weekends). You could stay here for at least a week.

Rickettes Glenn is another must see, if you are healthy enough to do the waterfall trail. We take a lunch, and eat it at the bottom. Soak your feet in the water, and hike the second half. They have nice cabins here if you prefer not to camp.

Worlds End is not my favorite. The trees were all dead from some kind of insect, and it just didn't really float my boat.

Hickory Run is nice. The boulder field is cool, and there is a great deal to do the area. They do have a bear problem at night. The rangers scare the crap out of campers when they sound a horn that scares away the bears. Geez o' whiz!!!

One not on the list is Cordorus. It is near Gettysburg, so you can easily drive there for the day. A must see. Also if you have children, they have a great pool with a kiddie area, and water slides. An inexpensive way to get to Gettysburg, and relax in nature.

Note that PA state parks are known for there cleanliness, and amenities. Not found in other states. PA proud.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM

35,290 posts, read 45,292,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Has anybody ever been to any of Pennsylvania's 20 "must-see" state parks? They are...

1. Black Moshannon State Park X
2. Canoe Creek State Park
3. Cherry Springs State Park
4. Cook Forest State Park X1
5. Delaware Canal State Park
6. Greenwood Forest State Park
7. Hickory Run State Park
8. Hyner View State Park
9. Jennings State Park
10. Kinzua Bridge State Park X1
11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
12. McConnells Mill State Park X2
13. Ohiopyle State Park X
14. Oil Creek State Park X
15. Presque Isle State Park X
16. Pymatuning State Park X
17. Raccoon Creek State Park
18. Ricketts Glen State Park
19. Trough Creek State Park
20. Worlds End State Park

Of those 20, I've only ever been to Ohiopyle and Pymatuning State Parks. I took a raft down the Youghiogheny River below the Ohiopyle Falls, and almost took a rowboat across Pymatuning Lake from Tuttle Point to a couple of random islands. (It's a good thing I turned around because the sun was setting.)

So if any of you have ever been to any of these places, let me know what you thought.
PA*DCNR*-*By Region
Thought this would help.

X1 grew up there, I'd add Clear Creek, although it's part of the Cook Forest complex now. Walked across Kinzua Bridge when I was 5.

X2 first date with the now Mrs. NBP, her idea.

One of the PA things I've missed in the nearly 30 years in MD are the State Parks. Although I do have the Chesapeake Bay out my front front door and down the street a couple hundred feet.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM

19,866 posts, read 25,012,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Presque Isle has no equal.

The others that I've been to, I'd rank in this order:

Cook Forest State Park
Kinzua Bridge State Park
Pymatuning State Park
Hickory Run State Park
Oil Creek State Park
Delaware Canal State Park

They are all wonderful but I agree Presque Isle is AWESOME!!!!

Want to add Rickets Glenn.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Overcommercialized?

Because you can rent bikes now?

LOL!!! Sounds good to me! Having some amenities was actually why state parks were invented bu Teddy Roosevelt (who's summer White House was in my former home town of Oyster Bay NY)

We HAD forests back in the 1880s. Not everyone wanted to wander into one alone, and brave wild animals while sleeping in uncharted territory.

The State Park System connected and continued to connect American's with the Great Outdoors, why offering protection, structure and some amenities.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! Pymatuning is on our list of parks to see this summer. Cannot wait!
I'll agree - this sounds SUPER GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or