U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM

20 posts, read 48,422 times

Advertisements

Did a hike through Ricketts Glen with my boyfriend about 5 years ago. Meh. Lots of waterfalls but most aren't too impressive. The one that is requires quite a hike to get to. The trail that passes most of the waterfalls is very dangerous in parts - high rocky cliffs w/o guard rails or anything to keep you from falling. There are warning signs re: this at most entries to the trail.

Also been to Hickory Run. Again, meh. The most interesting part is the boulder field. Unfortunately, the last time I was there, people had really begun to graffiti on the boulders and it looked horrible.

Been around Delaware Canal. The area is interesting (especially New Hope, PA), but not so much the park itself IMO.

I really want to see Black Moshannon and Presque Isle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM

28,192 posts, read 21,901,860 times
Ricketts Glen - meh? Yikes. As a person who has seen the mother of all falls in the US (Niagara) I was still highly impressed with the natural beauty of Ricketts Glen SP. Are you comparing our SP with the likes of Victoria Falls? LOL

Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM

20 posts, read 48,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ricketts Glen - meh? Yikes. As a person who has seen the mother of all falls in the US (Niagara) I was still highly impressed with the natural beauty of Ricketts Glen SP. Are you comparing our SP with the likes of Victoria Falls? LOL
Well, Ricketts Glen was considered for National Park status once...and there's a reason it didn't make it.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venditto View Post
Well, Ricketts Glen was considered for National Park status once...and there's a reason it didn't make it.
And? It's still a beautiful area, no matter if it's a national park, state park or nothing at all.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM

28,051 posts, read 26,747,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venditto View Post
"Plans to make Ricketts Glen a national park in the 1930s were ended by budget issues and the Second World War"

Ricketts Glen State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"Plans to make Ricketts Glen a national park in the 1930s were ended by budget issues and the Second World War"

Ricketts Glen State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
Default McConnell's Mills is Tops in my book

But my book is thin!

I have only seen a handful, but if you have not been to McConnell's Mills, it is well worth the trip. About an hour north of Pittsburgh, the Mill is set in a deep gorge with absolutely stunning scenery at all times of the year. The old mill has been fully restored and is the center of attraction, but only by a little. There is water everywhere (!), coming off the gorge walls in trickles and nice flows (depending on the season and rainfall).

Trails are not plentiful, but quality makes up for quantity! Alpha Trail and Hell's Hollow are my two favorites.

Two that didn't make the cut that are very nice (imho): Moraine and Clear Creek. Moraine has one of the best bike paths around, great hiking and animal spotting, and a terrific Regatta every summer. Clear Creek is in Jefferson County and has access to the Clarion River 10 miles upstream from Cook Forest. I think that Clear Creek is nicer than Cook Forest: trails are good, scenery is better, I like the campground and creek better. And for canoe-ers and and kayakers, Clear Creek offers a couple campsites for 'thru-boaters' only... definitely worth checking out.

Happy exploring!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,257 posts, read 3,320,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogDog4 View Post

I have only seen a handful, but if you have not been to McConnell's Mills, it is well worth the trip.
Isn't it McConnell's Mill?

Did they add another Mill?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:34 PM

12,247 posts, read 21,718,594 times
Come on!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
Rickett's Glenn is incredible. More of an oasis than state park. You can hike up the plateau and see 18 waterfalls. You can also cross country ski it in winter if you dare! Take sturdy hiking boots, you will need the them. What a wonderful place that I have visited many, many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or