Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times

Advertisements

A famous building where General Robert E. Lee's headquarters once were have never had the federal protection that many other historic properties in Gettysburg receive.

Now, that's changing. A national preservation group announced it is acquiring Lee's headquarters as well as the accompanying hotel for $5.5 million.

Historic group to restore General Lee's HQ in Gettysburg | Local News - WGAL Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM

The plan is to tear down the motel surrounding the structure, as well as the neighboring restaurant space formerly occupied by Appalachian Brewing Company. In a way, I think it's unfortunate. Both the motel and restaurant were kept up extremely well, so I don't see where the problem was.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:31 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
The plan is to tear down the motel surrounding the structure, as well as the neighboring restaurant space formerly occupied by Appalachian Brewing Company. In a way, I think it's unfortunate. Both the motel and restaurant were kept up extremely well, so I don't see where the problem was.
They are trying to reverse the modern development near the battlefield or any other historic location, I think it's a good move as it keeps the era intact. I loved going to Gettysburg, I have not been there in years or even been to the new museum.

I was really happy when they tore down that tower, what an eyesore that was.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
I love going to Gettysburg. Been there twice in my life. My dream is to go to as many Civil War battlefields as I can, but unfortunately, living in Michigan, it's pretty expensive to make the trips.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I love going to Gettysburg. Been there twice in my life. My dream is to go to as many Civil War battlefields as I can, but unfortunately, living in Michigan, it's pretty expensive to make the trips.
Have you ever been to Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD, Chambersburg, PA (burned during the war), or Harpers Ferry, WV? Al three are only a 1-2 hour drive from Gettysburg, so it's definitely possible to hit all three in one trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania