Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Has anybody ever been to any of Pennsylvania's 20 "must-see" state parks? They are...

1. Black Moshannon State Park
2. Canoe Creek State Park
3. Cherry Springs State Park
4. Cook Forest State Park
5. Delaware Canal State Park
6. Greenwood Forest State Park
7. Hickory Run State Park
8. Hyner View State Park
9. Jennings State Park
10. Kinzua Bridge State Park
11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
12. McConnells Mill State Park
13. Ohiopyle State Park
14. Oil Creek State Park
15. Presque Isle State Park
16. Pymatuning State Park
17. Raccoon Creek State Park
18. Ricketts Glen State Park
19. Trough Creek State Park
20. Worlds End State Park

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/twenty/twenty_images/20parks.gif (broken link)

Of those 20, I've only ever been to Ohiopyle and Pymatuning State Parks. I took a raft down the Youghiogheny River below the Ohiopyle Falls, and almost took a rowboat across Pymatuning Lake from Tuttle Point to a couple of random islands. (It's a good thing I turned around because the sun was setting.)

So if any of you have ever been to any of these places, let me know what you thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
World's End and Rickets Glenn are two of the most beautiful state parks I have been to.

My favorite parks in PA are Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area(National Park), and Lehigh Gorge State Park.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,366 times
Been to several, Rickett's Glen is excellent as is Worlds End, there are several others that I have been to that are not even on the list well it's not a state park but Hawk Mountain is a great place to see birds but often too touristy.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,876 times
20. Worlds End State Park

Been to all of these. Have camped at Ricketts Glen and outside Presque Isle. Ricketts Glen has the best waterfalls around, great hiking, and a lake for swimming. Presque Isle has wonderful beaches, even waves if you hit the winds right, and no sticky salt residue (great for taking young kids). I would highly recommend them for multi-night getaways. The others I've been to I would also go back to.

PA has some of the best state parks I've ever been to - the whole system is excellent - and the fact that they're free is amazing.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
I've been to:

11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
13. Ohiopyle State Park
14. Oil Creek State Park

and driven through (this probably doesn't count):

4. Cook Forest State Park

Opinions:

I'd take Delaware Canal and Oil Creek off the must-see list. Not saying these are bad parks, but if someone from out of state were visiting, I wouldn't tell them these are places they had to go.

The Delaware Canal is nice but it's not particularly unique- you can see the same thing on the NJ side of the river, and the C&O Canal towpath in MD is similar. The Drake Well Museum and Historic Site near Oil Creek is cool, but the state park is just average- some nice trails but nothing special.

Now for the good ones:

Hickory Run - Love the boulder fields here- they're huge! This is definitely a unique experience.

Leonard Harrison/Colton Point - The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon might not be quite as impressive as the real thing, but it's pretty deep for this part of the country. Great place to hike.

Ohiopyle - Natural waterslides! I didn't get to go on these since it was Spring when I visited, but I'd imagine they are a lot of fun. The rafting is supposed to be pretty good here too.

Presque Isle - This has to be the most impressive park in the state. I believe it's also the only one that charges admission. You've got beaches, bird habitats, and it's probably the only place in PA you can hike on trails of sand.

Ricketts Glenn - Some of the most plentiful and beautiful waterfalls in the state.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Presque Isle has no equal.

The others that I've been to, I'd rank in this order:

Cook Forest State Park
Kinzua Bridge State Park
Pymatuning State Park
Hickory Run State Park
Oil Creek State Park
Delaware Canal State Park

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
I have been to all of the top 20 listed except for World's End, Hickory Run, and Cherry Springs. I loved Ricketts Glen because I am a huge waterfall fan. Here are a few pics from Ricketts Glen SP:

http://www.aroundpa.com/forum/images/smilies/new/sweatdrop.gif (broken link)

Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
All except 3 and 5 (actually #3 has nothing there, which is the attraction, except I don't need to go somewhere to find nothing since I can just go to camp ) I personally like Trough Creek and Presque Isle better than Ricketts Glen. I would second that Oil Creek isn't that interesting beyond the Drake Well site, not bad but not an absolute must see. I'm not that thrilled with Canoe Creek either, I'd put Linn Run on there instead.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
Here are some more of my pics of my favorite PA State Parks:

Ohiopyle:

Cook Forest:

Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I've been to:

Presque Isle
Pymatuning
Kinzua
McConnells Mill
Raccoon
Ohiopyle

(may have been to others but can't place them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania