Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 164,728 times

Advertisements

Husband being relocated to Philadelphia...We went to PA yesterday and checked out Pottstown area....Don't care for it. Was looking online at some areas in Delaware county such as Marcus Hook, Aldan???? Anybody know if these areas are decent, affordable with good schools? I'm pretty much open to any county, within 40-45 miles from Philly as long as it's a good place to live.

Thanks for ANY advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
Havertown, Springfield, Broomall and towns around the Media area are nice with good school districts. Aldan, Marcus Hook, the Darbys have some issues.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Stay away from the Hook, Chester, Darby, Sharon Hill, etc. Media and the surrounding areas are very nice. Check out Swarthmore.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:38 AM

44 posts, read 283,282 times
Default Delaware County

Does anyone know anything about apartments in Lansdowne, PA ?
Thanks!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Lived in Delaware County my entire life Some neighborhoods have changed a good deal. I grew up in Springfield which, though quite nice in many areas, is now jammed packed with traffic.

Delco is a very old county and therefore has some beautiful sights and buildings. I would stay away from the waterfront and refinery areas such as Marcus Hook, Chester, Lester, Linwood,Essington etc. And Ridley Park, though quite beautiful in parts is going to be part of the "new" air traffic pattern.

I now teach Homebound students in several areas. Based upon my experience and from my general knowledge as a teacher for the last 25 years, here's what I think of the school districts (and the "productrs" they produce).

Radnor: Excellent

Wallingford/Swarthmore (where I now live): Excellent but with OBSCENE school taxes and 8% hikes this year.

Ridley:
( Ridley Park, Folsom, Parts of Morton and Secane )Average, but with great sports programs and huge team spirit.

Penn-Delco (Aston, Brookhaven, Parkside) Similar to Ridley. Average schools with nice community tightness for such a large township.

Springfield: Above Average

Marple-NewtownBroomall, Newtown Square) Very Good

Rose Tree-Media: VG to Excellent

Haverford:
Very Good

Upper Darby:
Tough call. Recieved some awards in the 90s, but very crowded with a city feel to it. Drexel Hill, part of the UDSD, has some GORGEOUS homes, though. OBSCENE Taxes.

Chester: Run as fast as you can. Has one of the lowest academic rates in the COUNTRY and has been plagued by politics.

UNCERTAIN: Chichester, Southeast Delco, Interborough. Can't really address these, as I've never taught in them.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:50 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Default Delco Real Estate:

I've also been watching our real estate very closely. The best sight to really dig into real estate is (broken link) . A simple registration with no obligation will give you the listings of your choice, many with photos and all with tax rates, a big issue in our county. Those homes which give a street address can be mapped, and the maps are interactive, giving you precise locations to Philly and other townships and counties. Check it out!

Last edited by Yac; 08-26-2006 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: link removed (realtor)

Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 AM

44 posts, read 283,282 times
Default Lansdowne Apartment

My daughter is moving into a apartment building(one of four in the complex) and I am a little concerned about the property and wondering if the neighborhood is safe, etc. Would like to hear any pros and cons from former or present tenants of this complex. They are large Tudor type buildings. If anyone can give me some input I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 08-26-2006, 09:31 AM

58 posts, read 416,771 times
Default Good Areas in Delaware County

I live in Chadds Ford, PA for 18 months, and enjoyed my time there. I am however retired so I can't comment on the schools although I understood them to be excellent. It is about 35 miles southeast of Philly and on the border with the State of Delaware which is a tax free shopping state. I left to return to work full time in NYC.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:54 AM

179 posts, read 1,066,889 times
best places to live in delco are Chadds ford, Radnor, havertown, newtown square, broomall. Broomall and newtown square have the lowest taxes but the housing isn't cheap. Good schools, havertown and radnor are the best.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 22,885 times
I have lived in Delaware County my entire life. People always forget to mention the Glen Mills/Concord township area. That is where I live, and it's really nice with a great school district (Garnet Valley). People always say how great Radnor is, but I think it's pretty much out of the realms of reality unless you're a millionaire. The best in my opinion are Springfield, Media/Rose Tree, Wallingford Swarthmore.

Lansdowne is a nice area if you don't mind sending your kids to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania