Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 21,198 times

Advertisements

Hi guys (and ladies)!

This is my first post here.

First let me start with this; I've lived in Philadelphia suburbs my whole life, up until 18. Then I went to college at IUP out by Clarion county. Once I left college I immediately moved to downtown Philadelphia. I've been in the Washington Square West area the past three years. I'm now 24 and am ready for a new adventure.
Last year I started exploring other North-East Metropolis cities. Starting in NYC, then Baltimore, and Boston, and DC. I love Philly, love DC, love Boston, REALLY dislike the upbeat pace of Manhatten and the grimy pockets of Brooklyn (those are the only two places i'd be in NYC), and just plain old do not like Baltimore.

So after figuring out that even though i like philly, dc, and boston, i want a change. I'm a 24 year old man that's lived in suburbs and urban areas of Philadelphia my whole life and now I want an adventure!

For the past 4 or so months I've been entertaining the idea of moving to a new place with these parameters:
1. has to be easy for me to assimilate, meaning that I'd like to keep it American or Canadian
2. has to be in a geographical location with mountains (i'm an avid snowboarding and would like to start backcountry hiking the top of mountains to ride them)
3. has to have a good metropolitan town like Philadelphia (I love the fact that i can walk out of my door and ride my bike to a very fun area like the Piazza in NoLibs or Rittenhouse square without any plans and find many interesting people).

After some searching i've abandoned the idea of San Fran, LA, San Diego. But continued on to other cities. The cities that are appealing to me, location/topographical wise, are Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Achorage.

Basically if you can see mountains in the background of a city, I want to scope it out.

After much frustration finding multiple cities within great locality of mountains and adventure, I am now turning to others opinions instead of the headstrong self research.

Does anyone know if one of the above cities, Salt Lake, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, or Anchorage, have great central areas like Philadelphia does? I know Vancouver does. I am more for Vancouver and Salt Lake than the other three but Vancouver means i have to fight with canada to get in and Salt lake just doesn't seem like a really centered city.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,641 times
I'm from PA but live in Utah now. I would say that SLC does have a little downtown area, nothing as strong or robust as Philly does.

Seattle and Portland definitely do, and although I have never been there, I am pretty sure Vancouver does too. Its probably not that hard to get in. It is Canada after all.

Maybe Denver or Sacremento would appeal to you too. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 21,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I'm from PA but live in Utah now. I would say that SLC does have a little downtown area, nothing as strong or robust as Philly does.

Seattle and Portland definitely do, and although I have never been there, I am pretty sure Vancouver does too. Its probably not that hard to get in. It is Canada after all.

Maybe Denver or Sacremento would appeal to you too. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply in both threads. I don't necessarily want all the mayhem but i do want the option of be able to. If you know what I mean.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,940,752 times
Seattle and Portland would definitely fulfill your qualifications, young crowds, lots of outdoor activities, interesting neighborhoods and walkable, biking towns. Lots of parks and free stuff to do. Direct flights back to East Coast with maybe a change of planes in Chicago or Detroit. I've spent time in both and preferred Seattle, it appeared to be cleaner and has the highest level of literacy in the United States.

Salt Lake City is beautiful, and I understand the skiing options are terrific. My complaint about the city (when I visited) was that there was no night life to speak of~but I was staying near Mormon Square, so I may have not been near the artsy or cultural part of town.

Chicago is a great area for the biking~the whole Lake Shore Drive and many parks are super bike friendly, and you can even rent a bike in the business district as a tourist to ride for a few hours. Lots of interesting neighborhoods and tons of stuff for a young active 23 year old. The mountains/skiing part would probably have to be fulfilled with a trip into Wisconsin, Minnesota or even northern Michigan. It definitely wouldn't be something you could do after work like in Seattle or Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania